Mr Lee Kuan Yew wanted Oxley Road home demolished

Duckduck

Supercharged

Might as well build 3 statues at the Singapore mouth. One each for:

1. Parameswara - the founder of Singapura (Island of Lion)

2. Sir Stamford Raffles - Founder of Singapore (Trading)

3. LKY - Fore Father of Singapore

[bounce2][bounce2]

Uncle, Founder of Singapore should be Sang Nila Utama...

Parameswara was the last sultan of Singapura and later found Melaka.

... according to wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parameswara_%28sultan%29

[laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

I say convert it to a museum and keep his stuff and histroical SG there. But then it will disturb the peace of the neighbours........

Supercharged

Out of the three, really only LKY has any direct impact on the nation we live in today which is quite different from the trading and colonial outpost it used to be. I don't think there was any Singapura identity to speak of during Parameswara or Rafffles' time even though Chinese, Indian, Bugis and Arab traders were already here since at least 700 years ago.

Stamford modernised this place, from a fishing village. Without Stamford, no one will know us at all. So he did make alot of impact on us. LKY brought it up post WWII.

• Praise 1

"Mr Lee was very careful never to allow a personality cult to grow around him, much less to encourage one himself. He was exceptional in this respect among post-colonial leaders and founders of countries. They were larger-than-life figures, and often developed personality cults around themselves.
"Hence, you will not find portraits or busts of Mr Lee Kuan Yew all over Singapore. He did have his portrait painted and his bust made, but he did not allow them to be displayed publicly. I know of only two exceptions to this.

• Praise 2

why the preference for Gurkha guards?

Gurkha is train to kill

On the note , why demolish ... my guess :

There were many stories about the Lee family ...... Sad stories

Edited by Angcheek
  • Praise 4

Gurkha is train to kill

On the note , why demolish ... my guess :

There were many stories about the Lee family ...... Sad stories

I forgot where I read it, but Mr Lee mentioned that the cost to maintain the old house will be very high moving forward, so it would be better to demolish it and build a new unit instead of spending lots of money to preserve it.

• Praise 7

most of the old chinese people often want to keep their “祖屋“ and pass it down within the family. I am quite surprise that he has no intention to let them keep it.

‘I further declare that it is my wish, and the wish of my late wife, KWA GEOK CHOO, that our house at 38 Oxley Road, Singapore 238629 (‘the House’) be demolished immediately after my death or, if my daughter, Wei Ling, would prefer to continue living in the original house, immediately after she moves out of the House. I would ask each of my children to ensure our wishes with respect to the demolition of the House be carried out. If our children are unable to demolish the House as a result of any changes in the law, rules or regulations binding them, it is my wish that the House never be opened to others except my children, their families and descendants. My view on this has been made public before and remains unchanged. My statement of wishes in this paragraph 7 may be publicly disclosed notwithstanding that the rest of my Will is private.'

Not Raffles was a dick and Farquhar did the work?

He even send Farquhar away to rio island so he cannot snatch his credit right??😂😂😂

• Praise 2

yup, my wife and I were considering whether to go to the padang during the lying-in-state to queue up for parliament house. After talking about it for a bit, we decided to go to the nearby CC for the community tribute site. We said that if LKY was alive, he would have told us to don't waste time, get it over and done with and go back to work!

LOL ! This is exactly I believe Mr Lee would have said himself - "Don't bother. Don't waste time" [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

most of the old chinese people often want to keep their “祖屋“ and pass it down within the family. I am quite surprise that he has no intention to let them keep it.

To understand LKY, one need think at his level both as a life-long pragmatist and an "Ultimate Realist" - a term which ex-minister George Yeo used to describe his ex-Boss.

And from Mr Lee himself ? He already said how he wanted to be remembered: 'I did my best.'

To me, no amount of monuments, films, books, pictures, airports or statues etc are going to replace his eternal spirit that has become part of Singapore and within everyone of us regardless of you love or loathe him.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/remembering-lee-kuan-yew-i-did-my-best-20150329

ST_20150329_LKYCHAPTER29P367_1187748e.jp

• Praise 5

I forgot where I read it, but Mr Lee mentioned that the cost to maintain the old house will be very high moving forward, so it would be better to demolish it and build a new unit instead of spending lots of money to preserve it.

Preserve 1 house will cost alot of money ? I dont buy that .

They have tons of money. Can even put it as state property as well.

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

Preserve 1 house will cost alot of money ? I dont buy that .

Yes , if you factor in indirect costs. If you need to carry out construction activities next to a historical building , the amount of money spent on alternative methods of construction in order to safeguard the building can be very high.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

aiya, dont be sad lah.

LKY bought a upmarket condo unit in Scots 28 during the 90s, can write a petition to convert that unit into a museum also ma. beside, that unit was very HOT topic during the 90s becos he bought

it with a discount from the developer which he was not supposed to.

• Praise 1

aiya, dont be sad lah.

LKY bought a upmarket condo unit in Scots 28 during the 90s, can write a petition to convert that unit into a museum also ma. beside, that unit was very HOT topic during the 90s becos he bought

it with a discount from the developer which he was not supposed to.

That's why I mentioned Lee Wei Ling can always stay at Nassim Jade. :D

• Praise 1

Supercharged

That's why I mentioned Lee Wei Ling can always stay at Nassim Jade. :D

Tang liang Hong talked too much pertaining to his purchased kena harrassed by ISA and had to run road to Australia.

Demolish it per his wish. This red dot we call home is best testament to remember him by.

Even Shakespeare is more remembered for his works than how he managed housekeeping.

It's the least we Singaporeans can do to let him decide his own private residence. He also dun want to be a reason why oxley cannot be better developed/

maximise land use. I do respect and salute this decision which is so like the man himself, no fuss.

Safe ride

Cheers

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3