Pure Android 4.4.4 Car DVD

Alphas

Err, if just for the purpose of playing songs, why need andriod? simi chapalang HU with usb plug in or bluetooth can liao right?

Unless u wan stream movies in ur car..lol

Hi Guys,

Ok I tried this Headunit, or what looks about the same from Hong Kong Adeals. USD$298 (include shipping).

My review is below.

PROS.

1. Smooth and lagless response

2. Install most popular apps. YouTube, Poweramp, Google map, Sygic.

3. Runs well

4. 3G dongle works by PnP (except you can't control it)

5. GPS works excellent. if you have 3G map is always updated

6. DVD player works fine.

7. AV In - no problem with my DVB-T receiver

8. Enjoy using Poweramp with album covers

9. Sound quality from mp3 and m4a are excellent

10. Weather screen like your Samsung.

11. Interface of KitKat 4.4 is nice and neat. Clean looks ... not "obiang"

CONS

1. Radio is bad (.... ok lousy). Reception is muffled. Like they put a $5 FM receiver on the board. Goes in and out of reception. Check and re-check the antenna. Got my mechs to demantle and reinstall still the same. New antenna plug in... still the same. Even imported a FM antenna signal amplifier... still the same. No cure.

2. So I used Mediacorp App MeRadio, to listen over 3G dongle. Works great but have to wait for 3G to connect after starting the car. Good thing, is when it goes into carparks... FM is still good.

3. When in reverse, all audio off. Strange.

4. Playing video using Video app or VLC or YTube.... DOES NOT output to external monitors (only front unit can view)

DVD player will output to external monitors.

5. Turn on FM and then play music by App ... both audio will be heard... brilliant. Same thing with AVIn and browser video ... both audio will be heard.

6. Terrific toy to play with ... BUT DANGEROUS to surf and drive!

7. Bootup takes 2 minutes.

Overall, I like the sound, the interface, the lagless response, the Apps, the navigation, the 3G. Best of all PowerAmp for playing music. Just copy all your iTunes m4a or mp3 into a SD card, voila your library is in the car. SDHC 64GB works, but format as FAT32 for it to recognise 59GB. Never try Music Cloud yet.

You even get emails while driving (offed that). Did NOT TRY WhatsApp ... (sure langgar one). Can config Hey Google but not accurate because of our "singa" accent.

Just too bad I hate the Radio ... which is the most used function, in its lifetime.

Price? SGD$400 + $200 (installation at Bukit Merah) not bad lah.

Looking for another one with better Radio. Not sure if Pumpkin brand is the same.

Anyone knows any local Car Audio carrying any Android 4.4 DDin headunits can demo quality?

cheers,

Ken

===

• Praise 3

Why wanna crack head over getting HU? How long you stay in your car daily? Most probably won't even remember what songs you listened after you parked your car.. I think our local FM radio or your preferred CD is entertaining enough.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Guys,

Ok I tried this Headunit, or what looks about the same from Hong Kong Adeals. USD$298 (include shipping).

My review is below.

PROS.

1. Smooth and lagless response

2. Install most popular apps. YouTube, Poweramp, Google map, Sygic.

3. Runs well

4. 3G dongle works by PnP (except you can't control it)

5. GPS works excellent. if you have 3G map is always updated

6. DVD player works fine.

7. AV In - no problem with my DVB-T receiver

8. Enjoy using Poweramp with album covers

9. Sound quality from mp3 and m4a are excellent

10. Weather screen like your Samsung.

11. Interface of KitKat 4.4 is nice and neat. Clean looks ... not "obiang"

CONS

1. Radio is bad (.... ok lousy). Reception is muffled. Like they put a $5 FM receiver on the board. Goes in and out of reception. Check and re-check the antenna. Got my mechs to demantle and reinstall still the same. New antenna plug in... still the same. Even imported a FM antenna signal amplifier... still the same. No cure.

2. So I used Mediacorp App MeRadio, to listen over 3G dongle. Works great but have to wait for 3G to connect after starting the car. Good thing, is when it goes into carparks... FM is still good.

3. When in reverse, all audio off. Strange.

4. Playing video using Video app or VLC or YTube.... DOES NOT output to external monitors (only front unit can view)

DVD player will output to external monitors.

5. Turn on FM and then play music by App ... both audio will be heard... brilliant. Same thing with AVIn and browser video ... both audio will be heard.

6. Terrific toy to play with ... BUT DANGEROUS to surf and drive!

7. Bootup takes 2 minutes.

Overall, I like the sound, the interface, the lagless response, the Apps, the navigation, the 3G. Best of all PowerAmp for playing music. Just copy all your iTunes m4a or mp3 into a SD card, voila your library is in the car. SDHC 64GB works, but format as FAT32 for it to recognise 59GB. Never try Music Cloud yet.

You even get emails while driving (offed that). Did NOT TRY WhatsApp ... (sure langgar one). Can config Hey Google but not accurate because of our "singa" accent.

Just too bad I hate the Radio ... which is the most used function, in its lifetime.

Price? SGD$400 + $200 (installation at Bukit Merah) not bad lah.

Looking for another one with better Radio. Not sure if Pumpkin brand is the same.

Anyone knows any local Car Audio carrying any Android 4.4 DDin headunits can demo quality?

cheers,

Ken

===

finally, there is someone in singapore who has an android headunit installed.

i have been looking for 1 but isn't confident to take the plunge.

the design of this unit looks sleek but the radio issue is concerning.

have you contacted the seller on the radio issue?

I'd like to see a HU that has a detachable Tablet. Unlike the past you remove the HU is to deter theft, but it's a useless piece , now It makes a lot of sense for you to remove the tablet for security and also this time- for personal use.

Edited by Tigerwoods

Yes I did give feedback. Really nothing they can do. It is the hardware.

And Yes get dataroam unlimited per day when u go in MY. I did it and got Class95 all the way to Penang.

Looking for local agent who sells the Pumpkin. More pricey maybe radio is better. Will update if I see one.

Neutral Newbie

i was browsing around and found this few which i thought were quite good so i though of sharing it with you guys.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Newsmy-2GB-RAM-android-4-4-quad-core-car-dvd-7-inch-for-univeral-Android-only/1422130_32242106809.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Android-4-4-2-Universal-Car-DVD-Android-4-4-2-Buit-in-WIFI-GPS-Navigation/426795_32222234621.html

(this one have the option to upgrade the screen resolution, ram and Rom. this seems very attractive). there is also a very detailed review by a user in XDA forum

do note that i am only looking at those with quad core and 1024*600 resolution.

do share your thoughts and if anyone has installed any of these, your review would be most welcome :)

Edited by Bryantlin

I just bought it, Quad core without DVD since I seldom use the DVD function. Tested on the bench supply, look good sound great.

I just bought it, Quad core without DVD since I seldom use the DVD function. Tested on the bench supply, look good sound great.

Which one did you buy? Local or by online order? Radio is ok?

I have not mounted it in the car, only connected to bench supply. Bought it from aliexpress joying.

(edited)

Is it Guangzhou Joying Trading Co.,Ltd.? all I see is HID headlights.

Do you mean Joyous? this one

Universal-Two-Double-2-Din-2-Din-Android
Universal Two Double 2 Din 2 Din Android 4.4 Car DVD GPS Navigation Player+Auto Radio+3G+Audio+Stereo+Head Unit+DVD Automotivo

Let me know, when you mount it. Looks the same like mine.

I am looking for the one with the good FM radio.

I browsed and found one Pumpkin Auto US$400+... not sure about the Radio.

Edited by skloke

They are all OEM from Joyous http://www.aliexpress.com/store/710192

Get it direct from them will be cheaper.

I just rooted it, so testing out the functions. The radio has good signal, I am using a screw driver to poke into the ant hole, and reception is fine. Had installed papago and torque plus other apk that requires root access.

you can read my thread here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/joying-pure-android-4-4-4-car-unit-t3093930

↡ Advertisement