Mums and Maids #igiveadayoff

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

SINGAPORE - A "Mums & Maids" film urging employers to give their domestic workers a day off every week has been criticised by some who felt it portrayed mothers in a bad light.

But some said it reflects the sad truth of some parents relying too much on their maids to look after their children.

The two minute-long video features interviews with mothers, children and their maids. Through a series of questions and answers, it shows that domestic workers understand their employers' children better than their employers.

In the video, a mother said her daughter "wants to be a teacher", while the maid answered: "I think she wants to be a princess." The girl replied: "Princess."

Another mother was asked about her son's best friend in school. She answered: "Very difficult to say, not too sure."

Her maid said: "Joseph." The boy's reply? Joseph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=74&v=jUxkOSkD8Rc

Marketing communications firm Ogilvy & Mather teamed up with migrant workers group Transient Workers' Count Two (TWC2) for the video to mark Labour Day on May 1. TWC2 president Noorashikin Abdul Rahman said: "The film is provocative. Provocation sometimes helps to generate a buzz on this issue that domestic workers should have a weekly day off."

But some questioned if it was an appropriate way to get the message across.

A netizen, who goes by the name "Lydia Shah", wrote in a comment on the video's Youtube page: "Hmm shaming mothers not the way to go. I don't see how not knowing your children well = give maids a day off. Kind of a roundabout way to get to a point."

Another netizen, known as "Vj Veerasamy", commented: "The decision for a day off for domestic workers does not only fall on the responsibility of the mother but the fathers too."

Netizen "Patrick Chng" added: "You don't give a day off to a domestic worker because you should spend more time with your child. All workers/employees must be given a minimum of a day off a week because everybody needs time for rest and leisure."

But some said the video was well made.

Netizen "Hong Kong Blog" wrote: "Very touching well made video."

Some also felt it reflects what is happening in some families.

Netizen "Yuet Shan POON" said this also applies to Hong Kong, where many busy parents tend to focus only on the academic results of their children. "How many moms can get all the correct answers?" she wrote.

Mr Eugene Cheong, chief creative officer of Ogilvy & Mather Asia Pacific, was quoted by Marketing Magazine as saying that the film is deliberately confronting because it has to be effective and must actually change behaviour.

He said: "We focused the creative strategy on tapping into modern parents' fear of missing out. By showing how parents are losing out on their relationship with their children by always requiring their domestic worker to be around, we reposition their day off as an opportunity to enhance family bonding."

"Mums & Maids" can be viewed at http://igiveadayoff.org/

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

2 sides to a coin.

I hear a lot friends complain their maids after first off day outing come home and tell them they wanna quit because my new friends help me find new employers with no children and no grandma (only 1 dog).

"By the way, thank you for paying the agency fee, Singaporeans are very rich, I am sure you can write it off."

• Praise 1

We must rule the maid with totalitarianism or else they will turn bad.

Any maid against us should be send to concentration camp :D

And the chio ones kena forced to join the Kippumjo? :o

• Praise 1

This is very poor logic.

I agree mothers should bond more with their children.

I also agree that maids should have some free time.

But the way the two are linked together seems very forced.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

I feel the mothers should stay at home and take care of the kids and let the maid do the housework. That is what I do. My wife takes care of the kids and the maid does all the housework and cooking.

• Praise 3

Sad but true.

A lot of mothers are so scared of having to take care of their own kids during their helpers' off day they are super diligent in attending get togethers (with parents, relatives or friends) so that they can get extra help.

Raising kids have become a chore for these people.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

We must rule the maid with totalitarianism or else they will turn bad.

Any maid against us should be send to concentration camp :D

Simple solution.

Don't make the employer responsible if she gets preggers while she's on her day off.

She's here on a 2 year contract. Don't say ok when informed of the work environment and then cite the same thing that were made known at the point of employment and the day after the first outing, say wanna jump ship to next family with no kids, no old folks, only have a couple and their dog.

If she elopes with her boyfriend, don't make the employer responsible.

If so, she can have 4 off days a week, I don't care.

• Praise 4

Twincharged

Simple solution.

Don't make the employer responsible if she gets preggers while she's on her day off.

She's here on a 2 year contract. Don't say ok when informed of the work environment and then cite the same thing that were made known at the point of employment and the day after the first outing, say wanna jump ship to next family with no kids, no old folks, only have a couple and their dog.

If she elopes with her boyfriend, don't make the employer responsible.

If so, she can have 4 off days a week, I don't care.

Why shouldn't the employer be responsible for the behaviour of the maid? Just need to remind them to behave themselves only ma. My parents have been giving the maid every Sunday off since I was 2 years old. Every maid we had had no problems. My uncle's maid also gets her Sundays off but some Sundays she say don't feel like going out so stay at home and rest or take care of my grandmother who is staying with my uncle. So far all no problems. Just have to keep reminding them and talk to them properly.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Why shouldn't the employer be responsible for the behaviour of the maid? Just need to remind them to behave themselves only ma. My parents have been giving the maid every Sunday off since I was 2 years old. Every maid we had had no problems. My uncle's maid also gets her Sundays off but some Sundays she say don't feel like going out so stay at home and rest or take care of my grandmother who is staying with my uncle. So far all no problems. Just have to keep reminding them and talk to them properly.

Because nowadays maids will tell you they have a right to have a boyfriend and have sex with anyone one they give consent to.

I always thought that my friends were overreacting when they relate their stories to me.

My first 2 maids no issues, when I interviewed them, they also told me they intend to do 2 years and go back so I'm liable for their air ticket home.

My current one just finished her loan and came back her first off day, now telling my wife the same things I heard from my friends.

I never say we are not responsible when they are with us.

I'm saying why shd we be responsible with what they get up to when they are on their off day.

You can say all you want, if the maid wants to exercise her her right to fornication, I don't think we shd be held responsible.

Because nowadays maids will tell you they have a right to have a boyfriend and have sex with anyone one they give consent to.

I always thought that my friends were overreacting when they relate their stories to me.

My first 2 maids no issues, when I interviewed them, they also told me they intend to do 2 years and go back so I'm liable for their air ticket home.

My current one just finished her loan and came back her first off day, now telling my wife the same things I heard from my friends.

I'm saying why shd we be responsible with what they get up to when they are on their off day.

You can say all you want, if the maid wants to exercise her her right to fornication, I don't think we shd be held responsible.

Actually, MOM has already clarified in 2010 employer will not be held liable if the FDW is found pregnant. Your $5k bond will not be forfeited.

But how many will allow their helpers to exercise her right to fornication? My guess is few as many still view their domestic worker as domestic servant, who in the old days are expected to remain celibrate (often violated by the master).

http://www.mom.gov.sg/newsroom/pages/pressrepliesdetail.aspx?listid=188

4. MOM understands employers' concerns that they should not be held responsible when their FDWs violate the Work Permit conditions on their own accord, especially outside designated work hours or on their rest days. Therefore, since January 2010, MOM has removed employers liability if the FDW gets pregnant or breaches other Work Permit conditions that relate to her own behaviour. It is untrue that the $5,000 security bond will be forfeited for pregnancy.

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Wow. Thanks Voodooman . They heard!

I will tell my wife and friends to relax now.

But the current helper is now acting out according to script. She wants to be in possession of her handphone 24/7 which we acceded to.

Problem is she has been sleeping at 2am-3am and her alarm clock goes on and on and now we actually have to wake her in spite of our advise to not use it too late into the night.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Let them have boyfriends lo. Thats what my parents did. So long she does what she has to do, they let her do what she wants as long as it is legal. But they did help her buy those birth control pills and ask her use condom. Now i also do the same thing for my maid. At least she is happy and we don't need to worry.

Edited by Nzy
↡ Advertisement