RS Chip Tuning

azaouogh

Hi richard, just want to clarify with you that when u say e throttles are ok for most ADs, u mean they do not say anything or take action when they see it installed in your car when u bring back for servicing. The ADs themselves never issue an official document to say it is approved and will not void warranty. If something goes wrong with your throttle like tps eror code (throttle position sensor) they will likely take action if they have evidence u installed e throttle.

I myself installed a racechip response in the past. It worked as the product claimed, however it did not do what i wanted which was smthing else so i largely leave it off but installed. Until one day a tps error code was triggered. I removed the e throttle and brought it back to tan chong whom cleared the code and questioned if i installed e throttle. After that i quickly sold it off. Bear in mind i did not find it useful for my app but it does work as it claims.

Btw since this is a rschip thread, i had it in my car before but it has no effect so i also sold it away after few months. Small turbo engine car. Maybe it worka for na engine better

Hi Columbian,

Sure AD will not issue approval letter one and think it is unrealistic request for them or even having authorised personnel to do so, right ??? Same with strut bar, BBK, HU, Rims, HID etc. and any mods since it adds extra effort for them to troubleshoot FOC.

Many cases >10 of errors and bros simply removed it when going back to TanChong to fix the issue and they had honour warranty to do so regardless if they had noted down or not if you had ethrottle ...not a single case of Tanchong taking any negative action.

Perhaps you car already quite powerful or your expectation is higher but both ethrottle and rschip do help in my case of ex sanny 1.6, 1.2 qashqai and 2.4 estima. Rschip only has sport and sport plus mode and more obvious positive impact at sport plus but also obvious negative FC impact albiet remains useful for my nshway road trip where safety is paramount to FC during which I will also set ethrottle sport 7 max setting.

In summary, my take is that both ethrottle and rschip are good to have since they provide driver with options which is user settable on the fly unlike custom tuning even if latter is no doubt more effective. Rschip to me is a more sophiscated ethrottle for NA car unlike ecu piggyback for turbo car with boost.

Cheers.

Richard

↡ Advertisement

One of my friends who bought a K3 L variant (cheaper but with cut back features), asked his SE at ubi fulco whether he could install back folding mirrors and other amenities that were missing in his K3 but stock in other K3s.

His SE gave the most stupid and negative answer that if he mods his side mirrors he will lose all his warranty, engine drivetrain, etc. everything.

really crazy SE. if i was the one who heard this i will bring it up to higher management for sure. How can folding mirrors void engine warranty....

Edited by ricleosg
  • Praise 1

Ubi Fulco was not well known for their service as they are just agents, better to buy from cycle & carriage 

One of my friends who bought a K3 L variant (cheaper but with cut back features), asked his SE at ubi fulco whether he could install back folding mirrors and other amenities that were missing in his K3 but stock in other K3s.

His SE gave the most stupid and negative answer that if he mods his side mirrors he will lose all his warranty, engine drivetrain, etc. everything.

really crazy SE. if i was the one who heard this i will bring it up to higher management for sure. How can folding mirrors void engine warranty....

Hi Richard, I do not mean to argue with you. I have respect for you as a value contributor to this forum and to the qq group. I am really addressing your statement that most ADs are ok with e throttles. I believe your "ok" mean they do not make noise until something happens. Same as for all other third party mods. 

Correct me if wrong, in all the qq cases you mentioned, only error code was generated and there was no throttle related hardware failure, no parts need replacement. Tan Chong only need to press reset since they already got the diagnostic tool connected. Nothing to do with warranty claims. Nothing to honour here, just false alarm.

As an example, we have all heard of unintended acceleration with certain car models. Some cases root causes are known, some not. Not all can be identified. Businesses are naturally defensive and if they have the evidence they will protect themselves first. It may have nothing to do with e throttle installed but good for the dealer to push responsibility if they can. 

Hi Columbian,

Sure AD will not issue approval letter one and think it is unrealistic request for them or even having authorised personnel to do so, right ??? Same with strut bar, BBK, HU, Rims, HID etc. and any mods since it adds extra effort for them to troubleshoot FOC.

Many cases >10 of errors and bros simply removed it when going back to TanChong to fix the issue and they had honour warranty to do so regardless if they had noted down or not if you had ethrottle ...not a single case of Tanchong taking any negative action.

Cheers.

Richard

• Praise 2

Hi Turboflat4,

Just realised you added 2nd dislike stating I did not respond .... you are really too fast and too furious but betta than the usual anonymous dislike.

Nothing to proof to you except 70+ qashqai whatsapp bros who fitted various brands of ethrottle from pivot drive, racechip response, freepower etc. who loves it for the improved response and quicker maxed out torque at 1.75k rpm.

Please get off your high horse of customised tuning where indeed you can increased some torque and bhp at 4-6k rpm of little use through primarily mod turbo boost, airfuel ratio and valve timing while ecu piggyback like TDI, Racechip Ultimate, Bluespark etc. but with CONFIRMED warranty void while ethrottles are ok for most AD.

Hope you are happy now with my response since you asked for it even with dislike :(

Cheers,

You're replying to a comment of mine that's so old that I had forgotten all about it.

Nevertheless, I stand by what I said. Throttle boosters may make the car feel quicker. But there's no evidence that they actually make the car quicker.

I haven't seen any claims by the more reputable makers of these products that claim they actually make the car go faster, so at least they're not being overtly misleading.

I've actually used the Sprintbooster on two cars long ago, including a 911 tiptronic.

In both cases, they made me *feel* like I was going quicker. But I could tell that was a subjective thing as timed sprints didn't change.

Is there a role for this sort of thing? I think there is, as long as people know exactly what they're buying and don't form unreasonable expectations. In cars without a sport mode, you can argue they give people more confidence in overtaking, etc. But if a car comes with its own sport mode, I don't see the advantage of this device.

It must be understood that this is in no way, shape or form, anything close to a replacement for tuning (including chiptuning). Those things actually change the power and torque, and can indeed make one's car faster. These throttle boosters simply can't.

If you and your Qashqai contemporaries feel better with this installed, who am I to naysay you?

With regard to the voiding of warranties, *nothing* is "CONFIRMED" (guaranteed). In Singapore, without the equivalent of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, we are at the mercy of dealers. That means whether your warranty is void depends largely on your relationship with your SE. If your relationship is good, you can get away with a piggyback installed even while they're servicing your car. If your relationship is just like any other joe schmoe, even a throttle booster left installed can void your warranty. So there's really no difference here unless you're deinstalling the device every time you bring it in (and if you took the trouble to do that, both piggybacks and e-throttle controllers are equally "warranty safe").

I don't recall ever mounting a high horse - all I require is that claims of objective benefit are substantiated. If you're making a claim that's purely subjective - that throttle boosters help one "feel good" when pressing the throttle, then I have no argument with that.

And let me remind you - you started off with this "Dislike" thing, for a comment I felt did not deserve it in the least.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 4

Hi Richard, I do not mean to argue with you. I have respect for you as a value contributor to this forum and to the qq group. I am really addressing your statement that most ADs are ok with e throttles. I believe your "ok" mean they do not make noise until something happens. Same as for all other third party mods. 

Correct me if wrong, in all the qq cases you mentioned, only error code was generated and there was no throttle related hardware failure, no parts need replacement. Tan Chong only need to press reset since they already got the diagnostic tool connected. Nothing to do with warranty claims. Nothing to honour here, just false alarm.

As an example, we have all heard of unintended acceleration with certain car models. Some cases root causes are known, some not. Not all can be identified. Businesses are naturally defensive and if they have the evidence they will protect themselves first. It may have nothing to do with e throttle installed but good for the dealer to push responsibility if they can. 

Hi Columbian78,

Thanks and same intention ... just sharing my experience and what I learned also from experience of others.

Perhaps betta if I rephrase that ethrottle is of lesser evil w.r.t. concern on warranty void compared to ecu piggyback and certainly custom tuning where the latter is easily detected via AD's diagnostic tool.  The key reason is that ethrottle does nothing but sensitise or boost signal of throttle control all within factory specification which is advantageous since your feet cannot be faster or more controlled than electronics and in the case of turbo charge to max out torque quicker than stock which should be easy to understand that your car WILL go faster.  Ecu piggyback and custom tuning on the other hand boost turbo pressure, changed air/fuel ratio, valve timing etc. and you are operating out of factory specification and surely cannot expect warranty to be upheld.

In the mentioned >10 cases at TanChong, there were no throttle related hardware failure or part replacement but if there was, surely we cannot expect warranty of such failed part also but at the least, they will still conduct diagnostics at zero charge and fix other errors not related to throttle which is the key concern on warranty void ... I had never remove my ethrottle for usual service and same for qashqai owners. Other the other hand if you leave your ecu piggyback or driving in for service with known custom tuning, no AD, including TanChong, in their right mind will even bother to diagnose any engine related errors without charge and you can bet all the repair and failed parts will be payable regardless associated or not i.e. void of warranty.

The example of the unintended acceleration is probably more on concern of insurance and not warranty which we also need to remind that such warranty void is for the associated parts and no such thing as blanket warranty void on HU if your change your suspension unless you accept AD's argument that harder ride causes vibration that damaged the HU ...lol ! 

In summary, if you mod dun be scare but we need to know the details, a bit of hands-on experience and a bit of technical knowledge to decide if indeed any mod are for you .... and ethrottle is a fine and safe mod imho against w.r.t. the benefits and odds.

Cheers.

Richard

I have never personally used RS Chip, however I have used Race Chip on my Audi A5 2.0T Quattro and there is a significant difference in the low end power which increases my acceleration. Many Piggy Back ECU company employ roughly the same techniques to alter the cars performance, may have to check with RS Chip users if they found difference in the vehicle power delivery. Best of luck!

Detailworks 

I have never personally used RS Chip, however I have used Race Chip on my Audi A5 2.0T Quattro and there is a significant difference in the low end power which increases my acceleration. Many Piggy Back ECU company employ roughly the same techniques to alter the cars performance, may have to check with RS Chip users if they found difference in the vehicle power delivery. Best of luck!

Detailworks

Hi detailwork,

Ecu piggyback for petrol turbo or diesel turbo increase boost with corresponding airfuel ratio adjustment else boost alone will not work or damage your engine. It is installed in engine bay with connection to respective sensors and this does increases torque and bhp.

Rschip connected via your obd and does not change boost.

Cheers.

Richard

Very obvious different. I installed den I was meddling under the dash den forgot to plug back. I am like why no power one. Plug back, butt dyno can feel the pull

Hi Richard,

I thought I chime in cause I recall receiving a dislike from yourself on my post agreeing on @turboflat4 post, it surprised me because as mentioned by @columbian78 I do find your post informative and I thought you would have rebated instead of just raising a dislike immediately. Out of respect of your post I return the favor by giving you a like instead.

Anyway going back to the point, you raise the dislike first and as the saying goes you reap what you sow.

There is no need for name calling of "high horse" and what not, openly debate with persons of reasons with your view and if no conclusiveness can be achieved just agree to disagree. 

I use the dislike for genuinely obnoxious persons on the forum and that said I probably only used it twice or so

Hi Turboflat4,

Just realised you added 2nd dislike stating I did not respond .... you are really too fast and too furious but betta than the usual anonymous dislike.

Nothing to proof to you except 70+ qashqai whatsapp bros who fitted various brands of ethrottle from pivot drive, racechip response, freepower etc. who loves it for the improved response and quicker maxed out torque at 1.75k rpm.

Please get off your high horse of customised tuning where indeed you can increased some torque and bhp at 4-6k rpm of little use through primarily mod turbo boost, airfuel ratio and valve timing while ecu piggyback like TDI, Racechip Ultimate, Bluespark etc. but with CONFIRMED warranty void while ethrottles are ok for most AD.

Hope you are happy now with my response since you asked for it even with dislike :(

Cheers,

• Praise 2

Hi all, curious to know, how does the RSChip work for K3 that has the normal, sport and econ mode?

Or just leave the car on normal, and then use rschip to tune?

Hi all, curious to know, how does the RSChip work for K3 that has the normal, sport and econ mode?

Or just leave the car on normal, and then use rschip to tune?

I thought k3 sport mode only makes the steering stiffer?

Neutral Newbie

Check with you guys, does your RS chip green LED remains blinking after engine is shut off? How long does it take to go into sleep mode. Mine is blinking green for 15mins already after engine shut off, worried it might drain off batt

Check with you guys, does your RS chip green LED remains blinking after engine is shut off? How long does it take to go into sleep mode. Mine is blinking green for 15mins already after engine shut off, worried it might drain off batt

It will change to red and blink as well....

Hi bro, for your case is abnormal. After engine shut off, it suppose to "Red" a few times and no more. I will suggest you to plug out, reset the chip then plug back and recalibrate. Hope this help. Cheers.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi bro, for your case is abnormal. After engine shut off, it suppose to "Red" a few times and no more. I will suggest you to plug out, reset the chip then plug back and recalibrate. Hope this help. Cheers.

Just realized that this happens only when I use splitter. Without the splitter it will go to red. Does anyone here uses a OBD splitter but it still works and goes to red after engine shut off?
↡ Advertisement