Audi A3 Sedan/Sportsback Owners - Check In

zerobim08

Hmm I think some of u guys are confused. Heres a quick breakdown of the pricing in terms of downpayment paid now after cash discounts, disregarding freebies.

116d 

List price 130k

Downpayment of 32k

A3 sedan

List price of 122k

Downpayment of 38.8k

Because the cash discounts is directly deducted off now, one will be paying 6.8k lesser now for 116d.

Not to mention the inherent features of the car is better than A3, drives better and freebies better. 

you calculation sala lah. Downpayment is fixed by govt, how can you calculate this way. You wanna say discount given by taking loan, then deduct from the list price. That's how most big car dealer do it. If your discount is 2.8k from bank, 2k from dealer. Effectively, your BMW cost 125.2k. Your downpayment should be 30% or 40% of that value. If you take downpayment value and minus away discount, your effective car cost still 130k. You did not get discout technically. Cause your outstanding loan still based on 130k, not the discounted 125.2k. If you think you have kio tio by buying BMW, then I tell you, effectively you should be paying more since your loan amount didn't change.

↡ Advertisement

you calculation sala lah. Downpayment is fixed by govt, how can you calculate this way. You wanna say discount given by taking loan, then deduct from the list price. That's how most big car dealer do it. If your discount is 2.8k from bank, 2k from dealer. Effectively, your BMW cost 125.2k. Your downpayment should be 30% or 40% of that value. If you take downpayment value and minus away discount, your effective car cost still 130k. You did not get discout technically. Cause your outstanding loan still based on 130k, not the discounted 125.2k. If you think you have kio tio by buying BMW, then I tell you, effectively you should be paying more since your loan amount didn't change.

Wah piang, some of u guys....of course i know how dealers play.

But this is comparing to the A3 which also plays the same way. And im factoring in all the pros amd cons of the 116 ride comapred to A3 with thr price paid

If u sell ur car at 22k and the other guy wana buy from u at 15k, and also factor in the 22k car is has alot more features, then u just weigh the factors a judge for urself

And theres no right or wrong with the calculation, thats the fact stated down in the quotation. The trade in is deducted off from the downpayment. Loan amt as some1 is still and extra 5k+ loan

Edited by Mizaru84

(edited)

But this is comparing to the A3 which also plays the same way. And im factoring in all the pros amd cons of the 116 ride comapred to A3 with thr price paid

If u sell ur car at 22k and the other guy wana buy from u at 15k, and also factor in the 22k car is has alot more features, then u just weigh the factors a judge for urself

And theres no right or wrong with the calculation, thats the fact stated down in the quotation. The trade in is deducted off from the downpayment. Loan amt as some1 is still and extra 5k+ loan

That's why you may kena worse deal with all these hidden complications like overtrade, finance discount, loan manipulation etc. At the end of the day the dealer will make his margin no matter which way (basic cost + margin is what you need to pay effectively).

Edited by zerobim08
  • Praise 2

If u sell ur car at 22k and the other guy wana buy from u at 15k, which one u accept?

okok... I just highlighting to bros here who may not see the calculation here. If you think you got a good deal, sure go ahead. No hard feeling.

• Praise 1

That's why you may kena worse deal with all these hidden complications like overtrade, finance discount, loan manipulation etc. At the end of the day the dealer will make his margin no matter which way (basic cost + margin is what you need to pay effectively).

Yes but when u compare 2 things which is what we are doing here, the constant is that they also play the same way.

U can say the same for the audi and other car companies, but the facts are there amd we are comparing them while holding certain constants

okok... I just highlighting to bros here who may not see the calculation here. If you think you got a good deal, sure go ahead. No hard feeling.

Its extremely diff to get a good deal buying car from AD in singapore.

But this case is about getting a better deal than another after weighing in features and stuff.

Even if i switch around and say i get the audi, u can still use the same argument and say its a bad deal. But thats not the main pt, main pt is abt comparison

Its extremely diff to get a good deal buying car from AD in singapore.

But this case is about getting a better deal than another after weighing in features and stuff.

Even if i switch around and say i get the audi, u can still use the same argument and say its a bad deal. But thats not the main pt, main pt is abt comparison

• Praise 2

(edited)

Yes but when u compare 2 things which is what we are doing here, the constant is that they also play the same way.

U can say the same for the audi and other car companies, but the facts are there amd we are comparing them while holding certain constants

The main difference is Audi advertise their actual selling price (forget about list price) which is the final price you pay for the car (+ inconsequential freebies like solar film, car cams thrown in which are pretty standard practice across the industry).

Do you see PML/bmw advertise the actual final selling price you will pay for the car?  I don't even know what is the final bottomline price with all the confusing things like overtrade, finance discount, service credit etc.

Edited by zerobim08

If the comparison is just A3 vs 116d, the price difference is hardly big enough to lose much sleep over.

116d the way to go if you die die believe in BMW brand (some people grow up aspiring one) and rear-wheel drive (handling is really one up on front wheel drive cars incl A class, A3 and 216d). It has a certain appeal to sporty drivers and after facelift the front looks much better than before. Packaging/usability is compromised somewhat due to RWD, and the interior is dated (look at the speedo cluster). It has more torque than A3, same bhp but is slower from standing start despite 8spd gear box. Some are still biased against Diesel engine too.

A3 unfortunately goes 1.0l, good for road tax; pick-up is slightly slower than the 1.4l but still quicker than 116/216. Have option of sedan and hatch unlike 116d. What the A3 loses out in handling, it edges out in comfort and ride. Look wise, it's more subtle but equally handsome. The interior is also more ergonomic and easy to use, with everything intuitively laid out. (Again, some thinks that simple is a negative). I may be wrong but I do find the A3 slightly more comfortable/space to fit in (@1.8m) even with the occasional passengers.

Sure, it's easy to say the A3 lacks features on the surface. The "star" virtual cockpit is a showcase but expensive add-on. May not have BMW's park assist, and Audi doesn't give fancy names to every feature as well as BMW (e.g. BMW advance car eye (aka recording cam), connected drive, etc). But keyless entry, start/stop, media screen, electric driver seats, sports/eco drive changes, auto headlights, daytime running lights, headlight washer, side mirror that auto adjust itself when parking, anti glare mirrors, etc .. the essentials are there. And it has paddle shifts (not sure if the 116d has) that adds a different driving experience.

If you are bachelor or young couple, 116d would be the pick for a good drive. If you want a relatively better all rounder, the A3 is arguably easier to live with.

So no, potential a3 buyers don't have to worry they are going to drive around like the flintstones. :)

Edited by thedryvr
  • Praise 4

A180, 116d and A3 are equally good in their own ways at around the same effective price range (+- few K).  Choosing any of the 3 will be a good choice.  116d has a bit more options but is diesel.  A3 is a bit more efficient/faster.  A180 has the badge.

The one distinct advantage of the A3 is that it comes in sedan form.  The sedan is longer and looks like a "normal" car instead of a "smallish" car like the 116 and a180.  I think in singapore context, buyers still prefer a sedan over hatch.

A3 unfortunately goes 1.0l, good for road tax; pick-up is slightly slower than the 1.4l but still quicker than 116/216. 

U sure A3 can pick up faster than the 116/216? Those 2 BMWs are diesel and their torque makes them pick up pretty fast from standstill.

• Praise 3

U sure A3 can pick up faster than the 116/216? Those 2 BMWs are diesel and their torque makes them pick up pretty fast from standstill.

These are simulated values.  Some differences but not a lot.

post-155163-0-50433900-1484201810.png

These are simulated values.  Some differences but not a lot.

attachicon.gifa3 a180 116d.PNG

To be fair, I've never driven the a3 but I own the 216GT and the pick up is really fast from standstill and those Sonata taxis which I always lose to when I had a Civic, I now can match and even surpass them. Only that Prius hybrid I can't match from standstill. 

With all due respect, I doubt the a3 can be faster than the diesel BMWs from standing start but anyway this not important as there are other factors in choosing a car and pick up is certainly not really a criteria. That said, it is useful if u need to change lanes, overtake etc as you can do so confidently.

• Praise 3

To be fair, I've never driven the a3 but I own the 216GT and the pick up is really fast from standstill and those Sonata taxis which I always lose to when I had a Civic, I now can match and even surpass them. Only that Prius hybrid I can't match from standstill. 

With all due respect, I doubt the a3 can be faster than the diesel BMWs from standing start but anyway this not important as there are other factors in choosing a car and pick up is certainly not really a criteria. That said, it is useful if u need to change lanes, overtake etc as you can do so confidently.

Don't forget the A3 is about 150+ kg lighter (than the 116 - not sure about 216) and has the fastest shift with least parasitic power loss DSG gearbox. 

How you know the Taxi want to race with you?

Don't forget the A3 is about 150+ kg lighter (than the 116 - not sure about 216) and has the fastest shift with least parasitic power loss DSG gearbox. 

Lighter doesn't mean can accelerate faster. It all depends on how early the torque comes in and how many seconds it stay in the "not enough" power band.

How you know the Taxi want to race with you?

I'm not racing with the taxi and I've no intention to race anyone for that matter.

Sit in a Sonata taxi and you can feel its diesel torque which enables it to pick up fast is my point. Diesels have this advantage and hence my whole point is I doubt if a petrol albeit turbo 1.0l A3 can be faster than 116/216 diesel from standstill but as I mentioned, there is more to choosing a car than its pick up but just wanted to clarify this point.

• Praise 4

I'm not racing with the taxi and I've no intention to race anyone for that matter.

Sit in a Sonata taxi and you can feel its diesel torque which enables it to pick up fast is my point. Diesels have this advantage and hence my whole point is I doubt if a petrol albeit turbo 1.0l A3 can be faster than 116/216 diesel from standstill but as I mentioned, there is more to choosing a car than its pick up but just wanted to clarify this point.

you mean your butt feel can tell which car accelerated faster without timing them? I don't own a 1.0L A3 but I don't think it is correct to say diesel enable faster pick up. You can have more 200NM of torque at 1.5k rpm for petrol engine and 200NM of torque at 2.2k rpm for diesel engine. This will make the petrol variant sprint faster than the diesel because the torque kicks in is later.

Basically, what I wanna say is how the engine is configured.

you mean your butt feel can tell which car accelerated faster without timing them? I don't own a 1.0L A3 but I don't think it is correct to say diesel enable faster pick up. You can have more 200NM of torque at 1.5k rpm for petrol engine and 200NM of torque at 2.2k rpm for diesel engine. This will make the petrol variant sprint faster than the diesel because the torque kicks in is later.

Basically, what I wanna say is how the engine is configured.

You are right a petrol car can have more than 200nm of torque at 1.5k rpm so I'm not saying petrol car can never win a diesel. Maybe you have misread my posts (#2727 onwards)so I suggest you read back what I wrote which is to compare a3 vs 116/216 so lets stick to that and not go out of point, cheers! 

• Praise 3

You are right a petrol car can have more than 200nm of torque at 1.5k rpm so I'm not saying petrol car can never win a diesel. Maybe you have misread my posts (#2727 onwards)so I suggest you read back what I wrote which is to compare a3 vs 116/216 so lets stick to that and not go out of point, cheers! 

I have read them. What I'm referring to here is your butt dyno, nothing to do with 116 318 or 528. Diesel or not. You simply say diesel is good have more torque without understanding the technicality of each engine type.

Can don't go out of point, I would love to stick to discussion of these 2 cars. But really want to test, don't use butt dyno to test. Use real dyno testing machine to test.

I have read them. What I'm referring to here is your butt dyno, nothing to do with 116 318 or 528. Diesel or not. You simply say diesel is good have more torque without understanding the technicality of each engine type.

Can don't go out of point, I would love to stick to discussion of these 2 cars. But really want to test, don't use butt dyno to test. Use real dyno testing machine to test.

Then go and test a3 vs 116/216 and revert cos you also based on butt dyno.

At least in my case I own the 216 albeit GT so I believe it I'm qualified to speak on that side of the equation.

BTW, I never say diesel good, you inferring I said so.

I just said why I feel the 116/216 will win the a3 on pick up cos of the diesel torque, that's all.

Edited by Spring
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4