Another trap?

Which local stocks now can get 8-10%? Give some tips leh.

Have, Lippo Malls, Sabana etc if based on latest dividend % they giving out. of coz you need to look at many other factors too. it's your money, look after them well. :D

I noticed that quite a lot of people who invested in overseas investment like property etc ,May not invest local equity. Really make me wonder why.

I share the same view as you. Local shares can smelly smelly find 3-5% annual return if invest conservatively, sometimes ride bull wave. Sometimes maybe market drop paper losses but just hold as long as blue chips.

Why put 30-1mil into overseas property if one has not even invested locally? Or take time to find out.

I always think this way la, if its so good and so safe,lots of onshore rich people will put their own $$ into it first. Usually to reach out overseas are to fish for overseas fund that are not able to reaseach much

i assume they know the oversea market well? if not why would one invest their money in it?

for me, i don't put my money into where I have not much knowledge on. the risk is too high for me to take. people said i no balls, so be it. opportunities are everywhere, so what if i miss one, hehehe...

Supercharged

I noticed that quite a lot of people who invested in overseas investment like property etc ,May not invest local equity. Really make me wonder why.

I share the same view as you. Local shares can smelly smelly find 3-5% annual return if invest conservatively, sometimes ride bull wave. Sometimes maybe market drop paper losses but just hold as long as blue chips.

Why put 30-1mil into overseas property if one has not even invested locally? Or take time to find out.

I always think this way la, if its so good and so safe,lots of onshore rich people will put their own $$ into it first. Usually to reach out overseas are to fish for overseas fund that are not able to reaseach much

Fools dont think much.

If the investment is so good, the owners would have sold it to big conglomerates like Trump, Buffett, Temasek for $$ billions. Why so pathetic to go after individual investors.

Hypersonic

Fools dont think much.

If the investment is so good, the owners would have sold it to big conglomerates like Trump, Buffett, Temasek for $$ billions. Why so pathetic to go after individual investors.

sell vegetable investment not caught under new rule right? [laugh]

Stricter advertising rules on foreign properties, gold investments
20150407_mas_st.jpg
Tuesday, May 05, 2015
Jessica Lim
The Straits Times

As the lure of overseas properties comes with higher risks, foreign developers trying to woo Singaporeans will face stricter advertising rules.

The Advertising Standards Authority of Singapore (Asas) is working with the Monetary Authority of Singapore and the Council for Estate Agencies to review Singapore's advertising code.

Under the proposed new regime, advertisers could be forced to disclose their financial position, the investment risks involved and whether development approvals have been obtained, The Straits Times understands.

Measures to deal with advertisers who repeatedly place misleading advertisements, said Asas chairman Tan Sze Wee, will also be toughened. It is considering levying fines for such cases.

The tougher rules will also apply to those who market investments in gold and other physical assets.

Currently, the code consists of general principles. It stipulates, for instance, that ads "should not mislead in any way by inaccuracy, ambiguity, exaggeration, omission or otherwise".

The advertising watchdog flexes its muscles by getting media owners and various agencies to withhold ads that flout the rules. Last year, Asas received nine complaints against property ads, up from six in 2013.

The Consumers Association of Singapore (Case) received 13 complaints regarding foreign property purchases in 2013 and last year.

In one case, a consumer here invested in a property in the Philippines. He has paid more than $100,000 so far, but the firm has refused to update him about his investment.

Yesterday, Case also asked buyers here to exercise caution.

"Investing in an unfamiliar foreign market holds high risks... Some of these deals have turned sour when prices declined sharply, resulting in investors losing a large sum of their money," said Case president Lim Biow Chuan.

There have also been reported cases where the developers became insolvent and were unable to deliver the projects, he added.

Conveyancing lawyer Tan Seow Peer from Joseph Tan Jude Benny LLP advised buyers to do their research.

"Even if the aggrieved buyer succeeds in pursuing the matter in Singapore or international courts, if the sellers do not have assets or a presence in Singapore, it will just be a paper judgment," he said. "So enforcement of the court order may pose a problem, which means the buyer may not be able to recover his losses."

Mr Michael Yong, director of Funtasy Island Development, a local firm that markets homes on Pulau Manis, a cluster of six small islands 3km off Batam, said he received a call from Asas last week.

He said he supports the new rules as he does not want "black sheep to spoil the market", but pointed out that it has to apply to all foreign developers.

"We will follow it if it becomes an industry standard", he said.

http://business.asiaone.com/print/news/stricter-advertising-rules-foreign-properties-gold-investments

for me, i don't put my money into where I have not much knowledge on. the risk is too high for me to take. people said i no balls, so be it. opportunities are everywhere, so what if i miss one, hehehe...

Haiz, don't say liao. Although the Warren Buffett theory of 'don't invest in what you don't understand' is something I agree with, I really wished I didn't listen to him when I came upon BITCOIN about 6-7 years ago.

I was thinking of throwing 500 bucks in it because it sounded interesting but went to wiki and internet to try to understand how it works. In the end catch no ball on the encryption part and didn't invest that 500 bucks.

If I had, I would have become part of the MCF full cash gang liao.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Haiz, don't say liao. Although the Warren Buffett theory of 'don't invest in what you don't understand' is something I agree with, I really wished I didn't listen to him when I came upon BITCOIN about 6-7 years ago.

I was thinking of throwing 500 bucks in it because it sounded interesting but went to wiki and internet to try to understand how it works. In the end catch no ball on the encryption part and didn't invest that 500 bucks.

If I had, I would have become part of the MCF full cash gang liao.

if Warren has put $5m in bitcoin, he would have been a trillionaire now.. but wait a minute..where is the market to sell to? Even if one put $500 into bitcoin years ago, and saw the value goes up to millions, but never sell off also not counted.

Bitcoin is one off and it's almost dead bec most government are trying to kill it.

Whereas in stock market, there have been plenty of proven opportunities.. if I have bought Microsoft in early1990s and sold it before the dotcom bubble burst, that's lots of$$.. if I use $500 and buy Apple shares in the early 1990s or even in 2000s, that's also lots of $$. If i have bought LVS in 2008 using whatever savings I have, I would have been quite rich.

Life full of what if...

• Praise 3

Twincharged

sell vegetable investment not caught under new rule right? [laugh]

Stricter advertising rules on foreign properties, gold investments
20150407_mas_st.jpg

haiz, when capital is overflowing and needs to be parked somewhere

even with an advertisement that tells you that you most likely will lose money also cannot prevent people from dumping cash in

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

haiz, when capital is overflowing and needs to be parked somewhere

even with an advertisement that tells you that you most likely will lose money also cannot prevent people from dumping cash in

siao chong nao

lui chong purse

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Such traps are everywhere. In fact, our MSM is complicit when they choose to advertise such nonsense for a few bucks.

As an example, I just saw this ad on Asiaone saying this:

"Floor Sweeper" Earns More Than You?This Blue-Collar employee is getting other companies to send him checks month after month. Here's how he did it... -Advertising feature

http://www.millionaireinvestor.com/kungfumaster

If you click on the ad, it brings you to a page where they invite you down for a "seminar". No doubt, you will be asked to put in some of your hard earned money before you can earn more than this floor sweeper.

• Praise 2

I was in CT Hub and happened to see this banner.

Wow! Co-farming in Aussie land and can get 64% high returns? [laugh][laugh]

watch out!

I was in Melbourne & Brisbane when I was first introduced to this nonsense. 'they' din bother to talk to me thinking I was a local there. this thingy actually c/w another 33% capital on insurance..... for natural or unforseen disasters, financial mishap etc. which was mentioned in local campaigns.

what I was shocked was that when the same was introduced to foreigners; the insurance part was not covered or represented!

and there was no acknowledged/recognised registra to include this for non-locals. foreign investments must seek their insurance (if they know) and risk (if the insurer's credibility fails)......

should this be duress investment?

• Praise 3

Such traps are everywhere. In fact, our MSM is complicit when they choose to advertise such nonsense for a few bucks.

If you click on the ad, it brings you to a page where they invite you down for a "seminar". No doubt, you will be asked to put in some of your hard earned money before you can earn more than this floor sweeper.

Wah, i also want to earn more than floor sweeper!

This is what I call :o "Big Trap" that caught the [scholar] big ones [:/][grin]

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/german-banks-seek-early-repayment-of-1mdb-loan-could-trigger-default-on-rm4

German banks seek early repayment of 1MDB loan, could trigger default on RM42b debt

KUALA LUMPUR, May 13 — Lenders spooked by the controversy surrounding 1 Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) are contemplating demanding the full settlement of a US$975-million (RM3.6 billion) loan ahead of its due date in August, according to Singapore’s Business Times.

More worrying for the state-owned investor is that the consortium led by the Deutsche Bank Singapore could trigger cascading defaults on the remainder of 1MDB’s reported RM42 billion in debt if they declare the firm to be delinquent.

The consortium’s fears are said to be prompted by “incomplete” documents that 1MDB provided as a form of security, rendering the terms of the loan unmet. This alleged breach allows the banks to rescind the loan ahead of the August due date.

The loan was secured via the US$1.103 billion that 1MDB said was being held by its Brazen Sky unit in BSI Singapore, originally from a tranche of offshore deposits it previously kept in the Cayman Islands.

“What was earlier construed as a tightly collateralised loan is now making the banks nervous, given this controversy,” an unnamed source told the Singapore business daily.

The BT said the banks and 1MDB are currently in “intense negotiations” to prevent a recall of the loan that the Malaysian state investor took to pay Abu Dhabi's International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC) to terminate an option to subscribe for the future listing of 1MDB's power asset, Edra Energy.

1MDB declined to comment on the matter when contacted by the Singapore business paper, as did Deutsche Bank Singapore.

BSI Singapore is said to have engaged lawyers in anticipation of possible claims against the bank in the event the 1MDB crisis worsens while one officer who handled 1MDB’s account has been put on “gardening leave”, sources told the BT.

“If things start to develop and no one is sure what the affected parties might do, the banks need to ensure legal representation is in place to defend their position. It's a normal prudent move on their part,” one source said.

Yesterday, PKR’s Rafizi Ramli warned that 1MDB was facing an “asteroid” in the form of a RM3.6 billion loan that will expire in August. This matches the amount owed to the consortium headed by Deutsche Bank Singapore.

In a previous exposé, whistleblower website Sarawak Report alleged that 1MDB CEO Arul Kanda Kandasamy distributed falsified financial statements to various parties on the debt-laden investment firm's assets held in BSI Singapore.

In January, the Finance Ministry said 1MDB had deposited the US$1.103 billion it redeemed from its offshore account in the Cayman Islands into BSI Singapore, with the amount held in US dollars.

Explaining why the funds were not repatriated back to Malaysia, Arul Kanda told a Business Times interview in February that this was because the funds were to be used to service 1MDB's US dollar debt interest payments.

In March, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak ordered the Auditor General and Public Accounts Committee to investigate 1MDB.

1MDB was incorporated in 2009, after the prime minister announced the decision to turn the Terengganu Investment Authority (TIA) state fund into a federal agency.

Since then, 1MDB has been dogged by negative publicity over its finances and debt, and most recently cash flow problems that saw it struggle to meet a RM2 billion loan payment.

• Praise 4

Neutral Newbie

Talking about Malaysia, I hope their leaders get their directions ironed out.. Everyone is watching... Big impact on the currency thus far...

Neutral Newbie

I went there too, they do not have the company name on the door, and nobody there during office hour. After Land Banking, Wine Index Investment and Gold scam, it may be another trap. Anyone visited the farm land they claim in Australia?