• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
257 replies to this topic | 540 praises

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:21 PM

Ake109
  • Premium member
    Ake109
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

A question on current state of stop-start systems.

How do they work?

Am I correct to assume that when the engine is turned off by the system during say a traffic light stop, the ecu is smart enough to :

1.) Stop the crank in such a position that one (assume 4 cyl engine) cylinder is at the end of the compression stroke, start of combustion stroke.

When engine needs to start;

2.) For port injected, the air-fuel mixture is in there, ignite spark plug for that cylinder, engine turns over.

2a.) For DI, inject fuel, ignite spark plug, engine turns over.

The starter motor is not required right? No traditional cranking, just use a spark to set it off?

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:38 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

http://auto.howstuff...stop-system.htm

http://www.caranddri...ained-tech-dept

The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

Vhtfhwlego
  • Premium member
    Vhtfhwlego
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

A question on current state of stop-start systems.

How do they work?

Am I correct to assume that when the engine is turned off by the system during say a traffic light stop, the ecu is smart enough to :

1.) Stop the crank in such a position that one (assume 4 cyl engine) cylinder is at the end of the compression stroke, start of combustion stroke.

When engine needs to start;

2.) For port injected, the air-fuel mixture is in there, ignite spark plug for that cylinder, engine turns over.

2a.) For DI, inject fuel, ignite spark plug, engine turns over.

The starter motor is not required right? No traditional cranking, just use a spark to set it off?

Do you like the feeling of stop-start system?

No point understand it so well when you feel uncomfortable travelling in a car with it.

I'm a petrolhead and I have butterflies in my stomach whenever I sit in one car with Stop-Start system.

24th Aug 2006, we lost a planet!

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

To me the start/stop system is for the car makers to pass co2 emissions tests for now. That is probably why they don't want to refine the system. When most cars come as standard with the battery hybrid system in the future the start/stop might not even be needed as the petrol/Diesel engine will be used as a generator rather dan being the main powertrain.
The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

Vid
  • Premium member
    Vid
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I hate start/stop. Disable when I drive.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

To me the start/stop system is for the car makers to pass co2 emissions tests for now. That is probably why they don't want to refine the system. When most cars come as standard with the battery hybrid system in the future the start/stop might not even be needed as the petrol/Diesel engine will be used as a generator rather dan being the main powertrain.

Are you talking about Hybrid car

or

electric car with REx?

Other than using start/stop, what other ways to reduce CO2 during idling?

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:39 PM

Raptor22
  • Premium member
    Raptor22
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

The aircon in the car also stops.

It's not like we are in one of those cooler countries where the heater is off we still have some heat left and our body also contribute to the heat.

Not practical in our hot climate.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

LoverofCar
  • Premium member
    LoverofCar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Feel like sitting in a tu tu car in Thailand....the Tutu car driver will always shut off the engine when come to start....unless the engine cut in is flawless...I don't think I like such a system my car...

Edited by LoverofCar, 04 May 2015 - 06:54 PM.

''Don't take life too serious...learn to forgive and forget..after all.....no one get out of life......alive''

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

Raptor22
  • Premium member
    Raptor22
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Feel like sitting in a tu tu car in Thailand....the Tutu car driver will always shut off the engine when come to start....unless the engine cut in is flawless...I don't think I like such a system my car...

Savings equivalent to $200 a year, that is $2000 for 10 years.

Maybe great for Britain, but its nothing compared to our COE losses ($60,000 to $75,000).

Simpleonly praised this

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:20 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Are you talking about Hybrid car
or
electric car with REx?

Other than using start/stop, what other ways to reduce CO2 during idling?

It depends on which direction the car makers are heading. Like now there will be cars focused on efficiency and cars focused on performance.
What other ways? I think some cars now have the cylinders deactivation system with half the cylinders shutting down. But that is done on cruising speeds.
With battery power taking over when the car has stop it emits zero harmful gas. So it all depends which direction car makers will take in future. With battery power the engine could be kickstarted while on the move, less jerks.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:04 PM

Vega
  • Vega
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Will start stop wears the engine down faster?

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:38 PM

Loki
  • Premium member
    Loki
    Supercharged
    Author Image

me too.  I have never used it.  Cannot tahan the weather and I must have my air con.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I ok le used to it liao. Saves more petrol i dont mind. Also produce less emission which is good for environment
Dont get confused between my personality & my attitude...

My personality is who I am...

My attitude depends on who you are...

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:47 PM

Vid
  • Premium member
    Vid
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

me too.  I have never used it.  Cannot tahan the weather and I must have my air con.

I don't like the idea that the car engine turns off all the time. It's like shaking after you piss [laugh] [laugh]

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:48 PM

Vid
  • Premium member
    Vid
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I ok le used to it liao. Saves more petrol i dont mind. Also produce less emission which is good for environment

How much petrol can save?

Jamesc praised this

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:56 PM

PaulMeng
  • PaulMeng
    Clutched
    Author Image

The aircon in the car also stops.

It's not like we are in one of those cooler countries where the heater is off we still have some heat left and our body also contribute to the heat.

Not practical in our hot climate.

i-stop won't come into play if the engine is not up to operating temperature or the air-conditioning is set to maximum chill. Usefully, however, the air-con will still work on other settings while the engine takes a rest.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:07 PM

Kimchicarlover
  • Premium member
    Kimchicarlover
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Try negotiating a narrow ramp into most multi-storey carparks with a start-stop engine.  As your foot alternate constantly between the gas and brake pedal, the car will stop and surge; sure  way to cause scratches on the ramp walls. 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:15 PM

zerobim08
  • zerobim08
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I hated it too on my audi a3. Turn it off everytime I turn on aircon. Just wish it stays off between ignition.
Singapore Cars Comparison:
1. Specs/Price
2. Performance

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

Optramagnum
  • Premium member
    Optramagnum
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Hate the jerking when need to move after stopping at traffic lights. My friend car is VW Touran TDI.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:30 PM

Gs_1984
  • Premium member
    Gs_1984
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

How much petrol can save?

Not too sure how much it saves. But my current car petrol consumption is about the same as my old car.

New car -3000cc (11.6l/100km)
Old car -1800cc (11l/100km)

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: i dowan tag, dowan tag, stop and 6 more...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)