Stop-Start Systems

Ake109

A question on current state of stop-start systems.

How do they work?

Am I correct to assume that when the engine is turned off by the system during say a traffic light stop, the ecu is smart enough to :

1.) Stop the crank in such a position that one (assume 4 cyl engine) cylinder is at the end of the compression stroke, start of combustion stroke.

When engine needs to start;

2.) For port injected, the air-fuel mixture is in there, ignite spark plug for that cylinder, engine turns over.

2a.) For DI, inject fuel, ignite spark plug, engine turns over.

The starter motor is not required right? No traditional cranking, just use a spark to set it off?

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

A question on current state of stop-start systems.

How do they work?

Am I correct to assume that when the engine is turned off by the system during say a traffic light stop, the ecu is smart enough to :

1.) Stop the crank in such a position that one (assume 4 cyl engine) cylinder is at the end of the compression stroke, start of combustion stroke.

When engine needs to start;

2.) For port injected, the air-fuel mixture is in there, ignite spark plug for that cylinder, engine turns over.

2a.) For DI, inject fuel, ignite spark plug, engine turns over.

The starter motor is not required right? No traditional cranking, just use a spark to set it off?

Do you like the feeling of stop-start system?

No point understand it so well when you feel uncomfortable travelling in a car with it.

I'm a petrolhead and I have butterflies in my stomach whenever I sit in one car with Stop-Start system.

To me the start/stop system is for the car makers to pass co2 emissions tests for now. That is probably why they don't want to refine the system. When most cars come as standard with the battery hybrid system in the future the start/stop might not even be needed as the petrol/Diesel engine will be used as a generator rather dan being the main powertrain.

To me the start/stop system is for the car makers to pass co2 emissions tests for now. That is probably why they don't want to refine the system. When most cars come as standard with the battery hybrid system in the future the start/stop might not even be needed as the petrol/Diesel engine will be used as a generator rather dan being the main powertrain.

Are you talking about Hybrid car

or

electric car with REx?

Other than using start/stop, what other ways to reduce CO2 during idling?

The aircon in the car also stops.

It's not like we are in one of those cooler countries where the heater is off we still have some heat left and our body also contribute to the heat.

Not practical in our hot climate.

Feel like sitting in a tu tu car in Thailand....the Tutu car driver will always shut off the engine when come to start....unless the engine cut in is flawless...I don't think I like such a system my car...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nr0h7GXY6E

Savings equivalent to $200 a year, that is $2000 for 10 years.

Maybe great for Britain, but its nothing compared to our COE losses ($60,000 to $75,000).

• Praise 1

Are you talking about Hybrid car

or

electric car with REx?

Other than using start/stop, what other ways to reduce CO2 during idling?

It depends on which direction the car makers are heading. Like now there will be cars focused on efficiency and cars focused on performance.

What other ways? I think some cars now have the cylinders deactivation system with half the cylinders shutting down. But that is done on cruising speeds.

With battery power taking over when the car has stop it emits zero harmful gas. So it all depends which direction car makers will take in future. With battery power the engine could be kickstarted while on the move, less jerks.

Supersonic

I hate start/stop. Disable when I drive.

me too. I have never used it. Cannot tahan the weather and I must have my air con.

I hate start/stop. Disable when I drive.

I ok le used to it liao. Saves more petrol i dont mind. Also produce less emission which is good for environment

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

me too. I have never used it. Cannot tahan the weather and I must have my air con.

I don't like the idea that the car engine turns off all the time. It's like shaking after you piss [laugh] [laugh]

Hypersonic

I ok le used to it liao. Saves more petrol i dont mind. Also produce less emission which is good for environment

How much petrol can save?

• Praise 1

The aircon in the car also stops.

It's not like we are in one of those cooler countries where the heater is off we still have some heat left and our body also contribute to the heat.

Not practical in our hot climate.

i-stop won't come into play if the engine is not up to operating temperature or the air-conditioning is set to maximum chill. Usefully, however, the air-con will still work on other settings while the engine takes a rest.

Try negotiating a narrow ramp into most multi-storey carparks with a start-stop engine. As your foot alternate constantly between the gas and brake pedal, the car will stop and surge; sure way to cause scratches on the ramp walls.

I hated it too on my audi a3. Turn it off everytime I turn on aircon. Just wish it stays off between ignition.

↡ Advertisement