Stop-Start Systems

Ake109

i disable it everytime i start my car after trying it out for less than hour. 

i think they should look into allowing owner to switch on or off this feature manually instead of each time you start the engine as default. 

I did asked the AD on this before and was told that it was not allowed as they need it to pass LTA emission tests.

But they gladly helped me to put a "memory" setting for it in my car. Whereby it remembers the last setting whenever I switch off the car. So now my auto start-stop is in always off position. :D

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

I did asked the AD on this before and was told that it was not allowed as they need it to pass LTA emission tests.

But they gladly helped me to put a "memory" setting for it in my car. Whereby it remembers the last setting whenever I switch off the car. So now my auto start-stop is in always off position. :D

so i can have this request during my first servicing? this should be the way to go man. 

How I wish merc have such "memory" settings too. The SSS as well as for the individual drive modes. 

Start/stop was one of the features I didnt want in my car.

Stupid feature. As a driver, I wont be interested in the emissions and amount of petrol savings I get from this feature.

The amount of cranks increase which will wear and tear the battery/plugs at a faster rate.

so i can have this request during my first servicing? this should be the way to go man. 

Not sure if your make is same as my make. My make can do it via VAGCOM. [:p]

Turbocharged

Not sure if your make is same as my make. My make can do it via VAGCOM. [:p]

Dont know what make but was locally installed by AD. mine standard model so not factory fitted

What's stop-start technology doing to your car? A look at the longer-term effects of driving a car with automatic stop-start

http://autoweek.com/article/technology/should-we-stop-stop-start-technology#ixzz53h1vUXzI

More and more new cars now include automatic start/stop technology as a way to reduce fuel consumption. If you roll up to a red light, or get stuck in stop and go traffic, the engine shuts off on its own and takes a break, whether you asked it to or not. Ideally the engine then restarts and is ready to go again when you are, but many enthusiasts find these systems annoying because they can't get the engine running quickly enough when it’s time to move again. But the larger question among car nerds and the general public alike is whether these additional stop-start cycles hurt the engine.

That’s the question Autocar asked in a recent article about stop-start and the long-term impact on a car’s engine. According to their conversation with Gerhard Arnold at Federal Mogul, “A normal car without automatic start-stop can be expected to go through 50,000 stop-start events during its life time.” But with automatic stop-start that number can increase tenfold, Arnold says. 

The root of the problem lies with the crankshaft making metal-to-metal contact with the main bearings, which happens every time the engine shuts off and stops lubricating those bearings with oil. That causes wear. But as stop-start proliferates, so too do new materials, technologies and lubricant additives that help engines withstand the added burden.

The question remains whether the manufacturers implementing stop-start are also adding these technologies to maintain durability. Some may be doing it better than others. As Autocar states, only time will tell. But in the meantime, Autocar also reminds us that these systems do indeed reduce fuel consumption as well as the resulting emissions from that consumption.

• Praise 1

So far I know of Toyota/Subaru new boxer 2.0L NA engine substitute the start/stop using port fuel injection.

Reason for port fuel injection at idling engine speed produce less harmful emission gases dan direct fuel injection. DFI at idling creates a lot of unburn fuel that exits the exhaust that's why car makers use engine start/stop tech to counter this.

Fast forward to 0:54 to 1:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtgReIe-Nlo

Port fuel injection is the fuel injector in blue seated inside the air intake manifold. While the DFI red injector is seated near the TDC of the combustion chamber. The video does not specifically mentioned the port fuel injection is to replace the engine start/stop and solve emissions issue. That's why the new 86 and brz don't have the engine start/stop even though the engine is DFI.

Toyota also tried to make the engine start/stop a bit smoother in the new 1.2L turbo.

Fast forward to 1:01 to 1:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEZtFJ1vmAc

• Praise 2

So far I know of Toyota/Subaru new boxer 2.0L NA engine substitute the start/stop using port fuel injection.

Reason for port fuel injection at idling engine speed produce less harmful emission gases dan direct fuel injection. DFI at idling creates a lot of unburn fuel that exits the exhaust that's why car makers use engine start/stop tech to counter this.

Fast forward to 0:54 to 1:00

Port fuel injection is the fuel injector in blue seated inside the air intake manifold. While the DFI red injector is seated near the TDC of the combustion chamber. The video does not specifically mentioned the port fuel injection is to replace the engine start/stop and solve emissions issue. That's why the new 86 and brz don't have the engine start/stop even though the engine is DFI.

Toyota also tried to make the engine start/stop a bit smoother in the new 1.2L turbo.

Fast forward to 1:01 to 1:12

Try youtube this - Car Tech 101: Auto-start-stop explained (On Cars)

Edited by Odyssey2011

What's stop-start technology doing to your car? A look at the longer-term effects of driving a car with automatic stop-start

http://autoweek.com/article/technology/should-we-stop-stop-start-technology#ixzz53h1vUXzI

More and more new cars now include automatic start/stop technology as a way to reduce fuel consumption. If you roll up to a red light, or get stuck in stop and go traffic, the engine shuts off on its own and takes a break, whether you asked it to or not. Ideally the engine then restarts and is ready to go again when you are, but many enthusiasts find these systems annoying because they can't get the engine running quickly enough when it’s time to move again. But the larger question among car nerds and the general public alike is whether these additional stop-start cycles hurt the engine.

That’s the question Autocar asked in a recent article about stop-start and the long-term impact on a car’s engine. According to their conversation with Gerhard Arnold at Federal Mogul, “A normal car without automatic start-stop can be expected to go through 50,000 stop-start events during its life time.” But with automatic stop-start that number can increase tenfold, Arnold says. 

The root of the problem lies with the crankshaft making metal-to-metal contact with the main bearings, which happens every time the engine shuts off and stops lubricating those bearings with oil. That causes wear. But as stop-start proliferates, so too do new materials, technologies and lubricant additives that help engines withstand the added burden.

The question remains whether the manufacturers implementing stop-start are also adding these technologies to maintain durability. Some may be doing it better than others. As Autocar states, only time will tell. But in the meantime, Autocar also reminds us that these systems do indeed reduce fuel consumption as well as the resulting emissions from that consumption.

solution is to change car once every few years  :XD:

What LTA emission test? My vezel do come with a on/off switch. So every trip need to go through one more step to turn it off.

I read somewhere there are workshop around that can disable the stop/start function.

What LTA emission test? My vezel do come with a on/off switch. So every trip need to go through one more step to turn it off.

I read somewhere there are workshop around that can disable the stop/start function.

Not sure. That was what the SE told me. I didnt verify their saying with LTA.

Stop-start function is very irritating for both driver and passenger. Wonder if such function will become a standard function in every make/model?

Supercharged

Stop-start function is very irritating for both driver and passenger. Wonder if such function will become a standard function in every make/model?

I see it as half baked solution before something that is really revolutionary

post-2022-0-05900200-1515568189.jpg

I see it as half baked solution before something that is really revolutionary

the scholars only see data, works or not they don't care. if it works or not. I think for this feature, AD enjoy rebate. so they cannot disable it, just like those turbo they cannot tune to higher power.

i have never use it and everytime i start the car, i on ac then off istop. well, it becomes part of the procedure. 

Supercharged

the scholars only see data, works or not they don't care. if it works or not. I think for this feature, AD enjoy rebate. so they cannot disable it, just like those turbo they cannot tune to higher power.

i have never use it and everytime i start the car, i on ac then off istop. well, it becomes part of the procedure.

I don't like it too, only used it for a few times when the car was new six years ago

but it serve another useful purpose as weak battery warning system, when the battery is weak, the stop/stop system won't enable then I will know it is about time to change battery... haha