Stop-Start Systems

Ake109

How much petrol can save?

Not too sure how much it saves. But my current car petrol consumption is about the same as my old car.

New car -3000cc (11.6l/100km)

Old car -1800cc (11l/100km)

Some stop-start very sensitive, hence intrusive to daily drive, esp. during traffic jam.

My bread & butter Nissan SUV does it very well. Not every depressing of the brake at a stop will trigger the feature. So if you are stuck in a jam, crawl forward, stop, rinse and repeat, the feature doesn't kick in.

Hypersonic

Not too sure how much it saves. But my current car petrol consumption is about the same as my old car.

New car -3000cc (11.6l/100km)

Old car -1800cc (11l/100km)

What cars are they?

Hypersonic

I dunno but gives me better fc calculation lol.

I rather have comfort and aircon more than fc [:p][grin]

• Praise 1

Some stop-start very sensitive, hence intrusive to daily drive, esp. during traffic jam.

My bread & butter Nissan SUV does it very well. Not every depressing of the brake at a stop will trigger the feature. So if you are stuck in a jam, crawl forward, stop, rinse and repeat, the feature doesn't kick in.

Same bro. If during jam wont keep the features kick in

I rather have comfort and aircon more than fc [:p][grin]

How long the traffic light is important. If in sg, my aircon still cool before light turns green.

I hated it too on my audi a3. Turn it off everytime I turn on aircon. Just wish it stays off between ignition.

At first i also do the same thing

But after driving few months i nvr feel the start stop. Getting used to it ald haha

I think it is more suitable for temperate country. My a3 does it well too. It knows how to space out the activation. If I don't on the aircon you can barely detect the engine restarting. But with aircon it is like double intensity vibrate. Engine restart follows immediately by aircon compressor kicking in.

The aircon in the car also stops.

It's not like we are in one of those cooler countries where the heater is off we still have some heat left and our body also contribute to the heat.

Not practical in our hot climate.

But aircon has priority what...?

Turbocharged

sounds like it got at least some level of fuzzy logic and won't just keep trying to shut off. Some systems seem to try to take every possible moment to shut off... like when you're coasting and then shut off at like 15km/h...

Hi bros,

Just a quick question if I should disable the start stop function at stationary as I have read a few articles that it's bad for the battery/engine in the long run.

Many thanks for your inputs...

Hi bros,

Just a quick question if I should disable the start stop function at stationary as I have read a few articles that it's bad for the battery/engine in the long run.

depends on your personal preference. for me it helps save fuel. on the other hand, it might reduce the life span of your battery 

Your standard battery start car maybe 2x per day, assuming you wake up go to office in the morning and start another time to return to home in the evening.

Now the battery and starting motor is made to stop/start maybe 5x per journey, at each traffic light it meet.

So you have drastically increased the number of stop/start cycles, all in the name of "saving petrol"

There is always a price to pay. Your battery and starting motor wear and tear has just been increased tremendously.

• Praise 5

Hi bros,

I disabled mine, my personal preference.

not a believer of this start stop thingy.

• Praise 2

I think auto start-stop is not very useful in SG city traffic, especially if it's crawling. Your car will keep starting and stopping, it's probably a bigger waste of fuel. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2