Stop-Start Systems

Ake109

This is the carbon emission and taxation game that car mfgrs play with the regulatory bodies and not for car ownership ..period. For those anal about greenhouse effects which I am also concerned for the next generations, wonder why all dun just go hybrid or full electric ? Expensive for sure since not mandated but petrol is a political and economy thingy without doubt as seen in current financial circumstances. Short term, I surely dun want to risk battery life, more change of engine mounts and simply do not like the noise and stuttering ...which will only get worse as the car ages.

Edited by richard_crl032
↡ Advertisement

I had to rescue one guy who stop his car at a traffic light.

He shut off engine to save fuel and when he tried to crank, the battery is dead.

Not nice to be stuck in the centre lane of a busy road.

The auto start stop comes with battery monitoring system, it will not stop the engine automatically  if they detect the battery is not performing well.

All start stop system to use AGM battery as it could withstand the drain.

In addition, alternator & starter motor is also larger.

The secret that they do not tell you is the interval of changing battery is designed shorter for those cars with start-stop technology (e.g. for normal car is 5 years, and for those are 3 years). The problem is made worse because in Singapore people mostly do short tripping, where we can see for normal car it is not many reach 3 year battery life cycle.

The secret that they do not tell you is the interval of changing battery is designed shorter for those cars with start-stop technology (e.g. for normal car is 5 years, and for those are 3 years). The problem is made worse because in Singapore people mostly do short tripping, where we can see for normal car it is not many reach 3 year battery life cycle.

If battery in engine bay, it is very hard to keep it beyond 2 years.  Heat will kill it prematurely.

Are you sure AGM battery cannot last more than 5 years?

Agm battery last slightly less that 2x compare to std acid battery or 1 yr vs 2 yrs in my estima that drain high current cos of autodoors. Fact is that std acid battery is not idea for SS and you dun have a choice unless you are prepared to tow your car when the unexpected happens. Just get a battery health sensor from Ctek if you are anal about it since any study is probably in europe or usa and useless in our local context. Cheers

This start stop function is really useless.

How much will it cost to cut off the engine on traffic lights and then only start again 1 to 2 minutes later ?

When you take 30 to 40 minutes to drive to destination, saving couple of minutes of fuel is just ridiculously unpractical.

However I would only recommend S/S when you are waiting in a queue, in a bad traffic jam and all cars can't move an inch, waiting for passenger at carpark / waiting area, 

But then again, if you're to wait for prolong period of time, on a normal car, I would had just turn the keys off and kill the engine anyway.

S/S is just a over engineered convenient to automatically kills the engine ( while waiting ) and that uses the fuel saving as a cover up.

The technology will be improved and accepted IF ...

User can select what is the condition to activate SS

For example, a smart system may see infrequent moving and stopping as a sign of a heavy traffic jam and decides NOT to S/S because car would be inching every now and then. This prolong the mechanical / electrical system in the car.

In the other mode, if the system notice car would be moving at above 30 km/h ( example ) and then it stops for more than 5 seconds ( for example ) then it assume car is stopped due to a traffic light, and thus kills the engine with the SS.

During backing out or doing 3 point turns, system must also know that it should not kill the engine. Because doing so delays the car from moving off briskly, which may cause other vehicles to wait for more than necessary for you to make the backing out, parking, or 3 point turns.

I guess.. my take is, the SS system is not matured enough today.

Better not have SS until a smart system is able to properly decides when to stop, when to start.

Until then, please use your right hand fingers to switch engine off if necessary

Yah, test drived the CLA and they had this S/S thingy. Don't really like it.

Any info how long is long? Can last 3 years or 5 years or more? at $600 per unit, it is easily 4 to 6 times the normal batt price.

Bro, the battery and starter are ordinary after all. Just that the battery is sized with bigger AH and the starter material to withstand more wear. In view of these knowledge, your battery and starter will wear off with the increase start/stop frequency. So, story short, the more start/stop the faster to workshop for replacement.

• Praise 1

Hi all. Few days back during cny had this msg pop up on my dad's car for a few times alr.

No problems when cranking but start stop cannot be used.  

My dad had it on almost everytime until i told him to off recently so as not to wear the starter motor out prematurely.Wonder if extended use of the start stop motor may have caused this.

Could it be the alternator or battery may have been worn out?

Tried checking the battery to narrow down the cause it is hidden by the front strut brace and has a cover over it. 

It's a 2014 MY Volvo s80 D2 if it helps.

Thanks!

20160209_221836.jpg

20160209_221845_1.jpg20160209_221822_1.jpg

Edited by Nick2342

Start/stop will not take place when battery is low on power. Go check your battery voltage. Or if there is a life indicator eye on the battery, it should be green. If not, battery is dying.

My guess is quite likely the battery is worn out.

Can't tahan anymore stop/start.

Get it checked or replaced.

Our road conditions is not conducive to stop/start.

Even for non-stop/start cars, most people don't drive long enough to fully charge the battery.

And yet the battery is now being asked to start many times, without sufficient time to charge the battery, when the engine is stopped.

Edited by Kb27

Twincharged

Start-stop function usually kills the battery faster. Since it is a 2014 car, I think most likely the battery dying already.

• Praise 1

Start/stop will not take place when battery is low on power. Go check your battery voltage. Or if there is a life indicator eye on the battery, it should be green. If not, battery is dying.

Yup that was what i tried to look for,the indicator. Cant open the batt without tools as it's hidden under the front strut bar and has a cover over it.

But if the battery is weak, wouldnt start up take more effort to do so or something? IIrc is for key but not sure about those keyless one as the car is keyless in my case. So far the car doesnt show signs of weak cranking as of yet.

Edited by Nick2342

Start-stop function usually kills the battery faster. Since it is a 2014 car, I think most likely the battery dying already.

Ah i see. Thanks for the help. But batt only 1 and 1/2 year so fast can die?

Side track abit. Does start stop end up wearing out the starter motor as well? Seem like while it saves fuel it also put strain on the motor as well. Read somewhere it affects the motor but manufacturers usually strengthen the motors for cars with start stop

Just off the system and drive for sometime to charge up the battery.....else change the battery is the safest way.

Yup i deactivated the system already for a few days but still have on checking this morning even though my dad uses the car almost daily from home to CBD every morning. Maybe is not long enough for the alternator to recharge. How long roughly should it be driven?

Thanks!

Edited by Nick2342

Twincharged

Ah i see. Thanks for the help. But batt only 1 and 1/2 year so fast can die?

Side track abit. Does start stop end up wearing out the starter motor as well? Seem like while it saves fuel it also put strain on the motor as well. Read somewhere it affects the motor but manufacturers usually strengthen the motors for cars with start stop

I not sure cuz I always off the start-stop system in my car. But since most people's battery lasts 2-3 years without the start-stop function, I guess it is reasonable that the battery lasted 1.5 years if you use the start-stop function and drive in Singapore's traffic.

I think it doesn't feel like the battery is weak yet cuz the manufacturer probably has a buffer? So that it won't continue using the start-stop until the battery is so weak it can't start the car properly. So I think if you stop using the start-stop function, the battery can still be used for a while longer.

seems like another bunch of whining going on here.

I ahve merged all the relevant threads and they are all contained here

Personally, i have bee non start stop for 6 years now.  Wht is the issue?  for crying out loud, learn and get used to it.  there was a talk done by MCF last time thru Bosch on their start stop and it enlightened us on it

so for goodness sake, kindly NOT START any more threads on this!

@ttl1976, hows your ASS?  got use anot???  [grin]

Few tips for those unbelievers:

1.  Traffic jams, switch it off

2.  Can get it coded to memorise last setting, ie ASS off on default (at least for BMW)

Was mentioned by Bosch sometime back the entire ASS is bundled with a higher cap battery and whole system is synergistic to be MORE efficient

In short, technology is here to stay, adapt or be left behind!  Nuff said! :a-aggressive:

Check with wearnes

Few possibilities

1. Battery time to change

2. Alternator prob

3. There is leakage such as continous battery discharge from an electrical parts

4. Try to turn off start stop everytime u drive, if problem persist it could be prob

↡ Advertisement