Stop-Start Systems

Ake109

also coupled with the fact that I do feather teh throttle and not aggresively accelerate and brake unnecessarily.  Highway driving too is most part of my routine.

Car coming to 4 years anyway, due for change :grin:  :grin:

i thought u change car every 3 yrs ????   :D  [grin]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

i thought u change car every 3 yrs ????   :D  [grin]

:grin:  :grin:   you stalker hor...stalking me

naaah...this one no need to change, altho hand not itchy

:grin:  :grin:   you stalker hor...stalking me

naaah...this one no need to change, altho hand not itchy

:secret-laugh: later I go stalk BB's bike again waahahahah  :grin:

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Otaku, that 912 girl in PVC pants is gan pua hawt. You win :serious-business:

If that E34 you saw is kim kim, then it's Otaku's. He just did a comprehensive grooming of his lao charbor. :grin:

errr siang si Otaku ? 

• Praise 2

errr siang si Otaku ?

Paiseh, otaku is @Mockngbrd. Go see his garage36 blog, got standard one, super nice! :)

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 3

Paiseh, otaku is @Mockngbrd. Go see his garage36 blog, got standard one, super nice! :)

Orhhh u referring to his blog . Yes yes saw it b4. But u also knew his lau chabo too ? Haha
  • Praise 1

LOL...

btw bro, at R2d, there was an E30 and E34.  Any chance yours previously?  

dunno bout the E30, E34 if it's white, it's an M5. Sits there alot. Owner lazy to drive it home. 

My lau charbor E34 sits at home 90% of the time, only goes out once in a while.  Got yellow car at R2D is ours. all picha one. 

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 1

Orhhh u referring to his blog . Yes yes saw it b4. But u also knew his lau chabo too ? Haha

His E34 - he posted pics of his car after grooming. Welli well done, this otaku

He is a man with meticulous good taste :)

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 4

His E34 - he posted pics of his car after grooming. Welli well done, this otaku

He is a man with meticulous good taste :)

Im see him as ironmaiden kekeke u wan him to do up ur car too ?
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

For some car how the stop / start system works is ..

1. when engine decides that it is time to stop, it will fill 1 cylinder with petrol.

2. shuts down the engine ( leaving that 1 cylinder with petrol and air mixture )

3. once you lift off the brakes, the spark plug ignites that particular cylinder that was filled with petrol and air.

4. The engine cranks over and continues with the rest of the cylinders' ignition as per normal.

5. no starter motor to crank the engine mechanically.

Thus this design is quieter and you dont hear the starter motor cranking the engine.

The starter motor is only used when you deliberately switched off the engine and then re-start again.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

1. when engine decides that it is time to stop, it will fill 1 cylinder with petrol.

2. shuts down the engine ( leaving that 1 cylinder with petrol and air mixture )

3. once you lift off the brakes, the spark plug ignites that particular cylinder that was filled with petrol and air.

4. The engine cranks over and continues with the rest of the cylinders' ignition as per normal.

Thus this design is quieter and you dont hear the starter motor cranking the engine.

The starter motor is only used when you deliberately switched off the engine and then re-start again.

I always have the same question whenever I read this.

Why don't they do the same when we switch off the engine at the end of the drive?

Next drive no cranking needed, just fire and go.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Why don't they do the same when we switch off the engine at the end of the drive?

We could pre-fill the cylinder. But, to leave the piston at compress position or not?

If at un-compress position, we still need to crank the engine => use electric motor to get the piston to move to compress the mixture before explosion.

If at compress position, where to tap the energy to hold the piston at compress position?

I guess these are the challenges.

(edited)

I dunno lah but the stop-start system I read about is using the flywheel's kinetic energy. The key is adding an additional function to the starter motor. When the engine is cut off the starter motor keeps the flywheel spinning at high rpm so as to store the kinetic energy. When the brake pedal is released the flywheel will re-engage the engine crankshaft and start. So the starter motor will have two functions, one is to have a conventional engine start, two to keep the flywheel spinning. I think this is more effective since the starter motor is already connected to the flywheel and it doesn't affect the positions of where the pistons are.

Edited by Watwheels

Twincharged

Which brands do this? Don't think BMW uses this method cuz can hear the starter motor cranking when it starts again after stopping.

Supercharged

I dunno lah but the stop-start system I read about is using the flywheel's kinetic energy. The key is adding an additional function to the starter motor. When the engine is cut off the starter motor keeps the flywheel spinning at high rpm so as to store the kinetic energy. When the brake pedal is released the flywheel will re-engage the engine crankshaft and start. So the starter motor will have two functions, one is to have a conventional engine start, two to keep the flywheel spinning. I think this is more effective since the starter motor is already connected to the flywheel and it doesn't affect the positions of where the pistons are.

this makes more sense, thanks for the explanation.

to park a piston of a running engine precisely right at the moment of firing is no joke, I would like to know how they achieve that.

my car brochure say the same thing but I am not convinced.

Turbocharged

Although I have not driven one with this feature, I already have a bias mindset about this system especially using it here in our congested road.

With the excuse of going 'Green' many such innovations are simply not tested and oversold. While we would like to kill innovations, we should not let it be tested on live situation where it may also cause danger to others. Today's newspaper reported on the electronics control on throttles on Korean's cars are very disturbing.

Many of my friends with such feature told me, their standard protocol. Start engine, switch off everything then drive.

↡ Advertisement