Sticking with old threads

Icedbs

Turbocharged

I realised that there is a "rule" that discourages members from starting new threads if the post has some relevance with an old thread. Members are told to search back the old thread and use the old thread instead.

The issue is that how relevant is the intended post with the old thread is pretty much subjective. Hence it causes these problems

1) We read the thread title, thought it was interesting to read , only to see that the thread started many years ago with the new post having very little relevance with the thread title. We end up wasting bandwidth checking that post out. It would have been better serve if the new post was in a new thread instead with a more relevant title.

2) It makes the forum board full of old threads giving an impression that it is not actively participated. Since this forum has been around for a long time, I guess that every new topic will somehow fall into certain relevance with an old thread somewhere.......so over time, it seems that there is no more generation of new threads..only full of old ones.

Not sure if anyone realised the above issues.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

It make sense in some areas plus there's the "Hot Thread of the Month" it's kinda of a conflict.

Maybe do area cleaning and clean out the old threads/folders dated more dan a decade ago? Like COE. How time flies, it's time to get new COE or renew COE.

Edited by Watwheels

I share your concerns and realize that if there is relevance then it Shd be merged. Case in pt, high speed kl railway. Another was the embassy killer.

If these are fragmented then the full story will not be fully seen. Then u get repetitive points all over the place. Surely you do not want that or would you like to see 20 threads of the same thing?

Some cases yes, it would warrant and if we see it we WILL start a new one in tat order

There is no sure solution here but responsibility and the onus on the thread starter. A delicate balance needs to be struck.

I empower you to then think, if you want 25 threads of the same damn thing then we are gonna see another whole lot of grumbles. I will be hands off then and I'll just say 'be careful what you wished for'. We hv seen these issues over and again

To date so far most are pretty privvy and see the date. Of course there are the minority

Ya

And the thousand and one

'My car gg scrap, do wat ah?'

Really.....

• Praise 1

I share your concerns and realize that if there is relevance then it Shd be merged. Case in pt, high speed kl railway. Another was the embassy killer.

If these are fragmented then the full story will not be fully seen. Then u get repetitive points all over the place. Surely you do not want that or would you like to see 20 threads of the same thing?

Some cases yes, it would warrant and if we see it we WILL start a new one in tat order

There is no sure solution here but responsibility and the onus on the thread starter. A delicate balance needs to be struck.

I empower you to then think, if you want 25 threads of the same damn thing then we are gonna see another whole lot of grumbles. I will be hands off then and I'll just say 'be careful what you wished for'. We hv seen these issues over and again

To date so far most are pretty privvy and see the date. Of course there are the minority

Ya

And the thousand and one

Really.....

I think the mods are doing a good job but too much consolidation, especially on current affairs, means less page views and participation. Sometimes I read an interesting article on ST or the internet, then realized later that it is hidden in an existing thread when it is already old news. It is a double-edged sword.

I used to come in and read what is the hottest discussion topics in town (front page news) now must do a search, where got time to tikam tikam and scan through all the threads to find the latest bashing game in town? [laugh]

Well, too laissez faire and mods will have sleepless nights.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

I realised that there is a "rule" that discourages members from starting new threads if the post has some relevance with an old thread. Members are told to search back the old thread and use the old thread instead.

The issue is that how relevant is the intended post with the old thread is pretty much subjective. Hence it causes these problems

1) We read the thread title, thought it was interesting to read , only to see that the thread started many years ago with the new post having very little relevance with the thread title. We end up wasting bandwidth checking that post out. It would have been better serve if the new post was in a new thread instead with a more relevant title.

2) It makes the forum board full of old threads giving an impression that it is not actively participated. Since this forum has been around for a long time, I guess that every new topic will somehow fall into certain relevance with an old thread somewhere.......so over time, it seems that there is no more generation of new threads..only full of old ones.

Not sure if anyone realised the above issues.

if something is genuinely new, then post a new thread lor.

So far I don't mind the threads sticking to one common thing. Easier to track when u go back searching.

I think the mods are doing a good job but too much consolidation, especially on current affairs, means less page views and participation. Sometimes I read an interesting article on ST or the internet, then realized later that it is hidden in an existing thread when it is already old news. It is a double-edged sword.

I used to come in and read what is the hottest discussion topics in town (front page news) now must do a search, where got time to tikam tikam and scan through all the threads to find the latest bashing game in town? [laugh]

Well, too laissez faire and mods will have sleepless nights.

Bro we agreed if it's in a thread and you start

It's ok. The general direction is it will flow there

We cannot expect users to search every thread... Please!

if something is genuinely new, then post a new thread lor.

So far I don't mind the threads sticking to one common thing. Easier to track when u go back searching.

Yes and we dun wan fragmented threads of the SAmE TOPIC.

Anyway now we see we close n direct la... Not so trigger happy

With jman n bear on the team it is more bearable since we look out vigilantly

Hypersonic

With jman n bear on the team it is more bearable since we look out vigilantly

Is that an intended pun? [laugh]

I have seen some forums with this feature that cautions a person giving a reply that the thread is X days old or the last post was X days ago. Can this be implemented?

Ya

And the thousand and one

Really.....

I have seen some forums with this feature that cautions a person giving a reply that the thread is X days old or the last post was X days ago. Can this be implemented?

Good idea. Perhaps @laserjet can assist?

Thks bro for the suggestion

(edited)

i agree with TS.

it makes the forum dull and boring if I keep seeing the same thread titles each time I refresh the page.

HWZ is more interesting in this aspect. titles are always were seductive and interesting.

For examples, Amos.

The current tile is "17 years old thinks he is cool...."

To me, it appears there isn't anything new to the story.

I have not opened that thread for weeks now, even though I have been following the story closely on HWZ

If I just want to ask "is amos stubborn or mental?" and I ask on the thread "17 year old think its cool and"....I probably will not get much response as other news will pile over mine within a few posts

Edited by Blacksnow
  • Praise 1

For what it's worth, I agree completely with the TS.

Ever so often you read an interesting title, click on the thread and find it several years old. I could be wrong but, there was LKY on his deathbed and the early posts on him were in some thread about him attending some NDP dinner. How relevant is that? Thankfully it got sorted out by the mods pretty fast...

I agree there are some threads, which given the title can stay relevant for long. But mostly the link between old threads and the subject matter then and recent posts is pretty tenuous. I for one find it pretty frustrating and peculiar to this forum...

• Praise 1

i agree with TS.

it makes the forum dull and boring if I keep seeing the same thread titles each time I refresh the page.

HWZ is more interesting in this aspect. titles are always were seductive and interesting.

For examples, Amos.

The current tile is "17 years old thinks he is cool...."

To me, it appears there isn't anything new to the story.

I have not opened that thread for weeks now, even though I have been following the story closely on HWZ

If I just want to ask "is amos stubborn or mental?" and I ask on the thread "17 year old think its cool and"....I probably will not get much response as other news will pile over mine within a few posts

Yeah, it also discourages new forumers from joining the discussion midway as you tend to want to read through all the posts before contributing.

Yeah, it also discourages new forumers from joining the discussion midway as you tend to want to read through all the posts before contributing.

case in point, although i see it as a national interest how they gonna approach this. How much press mileage are we giving this bloke? I really wonder.

Turbocharged

I don't think it is an issue with the system, it is how it has been practised.

Firstly, it is a matter of personal judgement whether you want to continue with an old thread. If you are confident that there is no old thread that is sufficient relevant, then start a new thread by all means. Doesn't mean that if you hit a key word search on anything historical, you're prohibited from starting a new thread.

I think we have to trust that the mods will be reasonable. If you have in good faith determined that the topic is new, I don't think any mod will issue you warning because of that.

I on the other hand think that they'd probably start reading from what caused the old thread to be revived, rather than all the way from the front. If they really read those truly historical posts, it will be for interest.

• Praise 1

(edited)

If it is multiple threads on the same current topic it should be merged

If it is a new incident but share similar topic to an old thread - there should be a new thread

example : Accident on PIE. Every year also got accident on PIE

So I would like to read about the latest incident. Not continuing an old thread where the accident was 6 years old.

Edited by Aventador
  • Praise 2

If it is multiple threads on the same current topic it should be merged

If it is a new incident but share similar topic to an old thread - there should be a new thread

example : Accident on PIE. Every year also got accident on PIE

So I would like to read about the latest incident. Not continuing an old thread where the accident was 6 years old.

What if one day there were 6 accidents along PIE?

I guess depends on the cause of the accident and how fatal it was or started by one of the driver involved and seek for advice.

Like the "Singapore Reckless Driver video" and the "Stomp - car accident" that people can post here just for information basis.

In view of the hot thread of the month contest, maybe we can let a thread (could be a 100% duplicate in nature) to continue if it can gather more than 3 pages of post in 1 hours before mod step in, shows that people actually seriously discuss about the thread but it must be relevant to the thread and not talk c*ck [laugh]

↡ Advertisement