Roundabout Rules

Detach8

roundabout means you go round and round the roundabout when it's not safe to exit or unable to exit due to traffic situation. It's not meant to be stopped there nor speed inside. All must move in slow and steady manner. Once you have a cockanan inside, that's it.

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

It seems a lot of people here don't know how to drive around a roundabout. Almost kena hit by a cockernarden at International Business Park, and the joker still think it's his right of way.

Let me set this straight: If you are in the LEFT lane, you are supposed to exit at the immediate next exit or go straight (depend on the number of the entry lanes and roundabout lanes). These rules are INTERNATIONALLY KNOWN. There's no special rule for Singapore.

When a driver sees a car in the LEFT lane passing 2 exits, it is assumed he is clear to come into the roundabout with the knowledge that the other driver will be exiting.

AND... signal your intent to exit the roundabout (left signal) or continue going around (right signal).

Same rules actually apply for the roundabout at Suntec but most drivers here are too cock so it's seems to be a unspoken rule to change lane to the left before you exit.

Correct me if I am wrong. logically if you want to exit you should keep to the left and not keep in the middle and then cut out. one should not assume car on the left have to exit. right? I encountered a lot of ass hole who suddenly exit from their middle position.

I think enough is said, and anybody reading this thread would have gained some knowledge (including myself). But I guess we should start sharing some videos. If I ever capture one I'll pull it out.

I was in Sabah, Malaysia last month and really want to show how people there go through roundabouts. Its smoooooooth. Everybody knows what to do. Here, though, people are clueless, which leads to a lot of lane cutting and even honking, and thus resulting in congestion.

Juz go to Saigon Ben Thanh Market & see. It is a giant roundabout with 5 roads connected. I juz ride bicycle into it w/o having to check oncoming traffic.

A lot of drivers can't go around Newton Circus even at 12am.

Correct me if I am wrong. logically if you want to exit you should keep to the left and not keep in the middle and then cut out. one should not assume car on the left have to exit. right? I encountered a lot of ass hole who suddenly exit from their middle position.

nothing wrong with that if its a 2 lane exit. If the left car chose to continue straight, guess who is the xhole???

refer to #30 with the diagram on the right.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

roundabout means you go round and round the roundabout when it's not safe to exit or unable to exit due to traffic situation. It's not meant to be stopped there nor speed inside. All must move in slow and steady manner. Once you have a cockanan inside, that's it.

Yr post remind me of this lady in SUV who went round n round Newton Circle machiam Bollywood.

Everytime want to exit tio horn cos she nvr signal.

• Praise 3

Supercharged

nothing wrong with that if its a 2 lane exit. If the left car chose to continue straight, guess who is the xhole???

refer to #30 with the diagram on the right.

yes I am referring to two lane exit in one of the round about in west.

• Praise 1

sports hub now has 3 big ones.

but it's also good that they designed exit lane specifically to the directions on the sides.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

f86ad06f-5ec1-45e4-8185-cf69cc480c92.jpe

Good pic.

Singapore drivers are not used to roundabouts because there aren't that many.

When I first started driving in HK, it was quite difficult because there are so many roundabouts. Everyday I have to go pass at least 10-20 roundabouts, big and small. It helps to alleviate traffic without causing too much cars build up, however accidents are VERY common. Need to be very careful and be aware of your surrounding because you do not know which idiot will do some stunts

• Praise 1

Supercharged

f86ad06f-5ec1-45e4-8185-cf69cc480c92.jpe

how about those cars already in the round about? reference to 2lane round about, personal experience car A (me) wants to exit at the second exit 12oclock. there is a car already in the round about slightly behind me on my right after I enter the round about to go to 12oclock exit . maybe he enter the round about from the 12oclock. he wants to exit at the 9oclock exit. he should slow down and exit behind me and not speed up in front of me right?

Turbocharged

The red sentence above is incorrect.

The blue car MUST exit by the second turn at 12 o'clock. He does not have the liberty to choose. Blue car CANNOT go to 3 o'clock.

haha. I've seen this many times in our roads. Worst is when blue car don't even signal that they plan on exiting at 3 o'clock (for example) and continue from 6 to 3 on outer lane... or continue driving searching for the appropriate exit.

Or we have the boy racers who find that outer lane is the faster lane so end up using it to cut cars... like at Amber / Marine Parade.

hc_rule_185_follow_the_correct_procedure

• Praise 1

Supercharged
(edited)

can drift inside? :ph34r:

why so headache.. just give way lor~

Edited by Knoobie
  • Praise 1

how about those cars already in the round about? reference to 2lane round about, personal experience car A (me) wants to exit at the second exit 12oclock. there is a car already in the round about slightly behind me on my right after I enter the round about to go to 12oclock exit . maybe he enter the round about from the 12oclock. he wants to exit at the 9oclock exit. he should slow down and exit behind me and not speed up in front of me right?

then you should enter where car B is at 6 o clock when you want to exit 12'O clock.

you are entering from the wrong lane and do not expect people to give way.

Supercharged

then you should enter where car B is at 6 o clock when you want to exit 12'O clock.

you are entering from the wrong lane and do not expect people to give way.

maybe you would like to see the pic illustration first. it is indicated that A can also go to 12oclock. it is contradicting. again I don't think you understand my point .. I never say give way.. I said the car is behind me and should he speed up and cut dangerously in front of me or reduce speed . maybe I am not clear or u do not understand.

Hypersonic

In a 2 lane roundabout, Car B should not exit on the left. Too dangerous. Similarly, Car A should not exit on the right.

In such situations, exiting car should slow down and exit if there are no cars or go one round to exit. That is often not done by drivers. Dunno what is so difficult going one round again.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

In a 2 lane roundabout, Car B should not exit on the left. Too dangerous. Similarly, Car A should not exit on the right.

In such situations, exiting car should slow down and exit if there are no cars or go one round to exit. That is often not done by drivers. Dunno what is so difficult going one round again.

I fully agreed. I have the same understanding.

Referring to the diagrams, I know a lot of drivers who insist on sticking to the outer most lane even if they want to exit at 3 o'clock when they enter at 6 o'clock. Reason is they fear being unable to exit/change lanes so safer to stick to the outer lane for easy exit.

Whilst I can understand this mindset, it is wrong as cars on the inner lane who want to exit at 12 o'clock will be blocked off and this is dangerous.

Anyway, personally I find roundabouts outdated but can see some benefits over junctions like smoother traffic flow and less bottleneck as traffic patterns are different at various times of the day.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

In KL nobody gives a hoot in lane discipline when it comes to roundabouts . But few rules are always observed :

1) The car in rounabout has the right of way

2) Signal , signal , signal

3) It doesnt matter which exit you take from which lane in the roundabout , most will auto give way , and hardly anyone loses their temper

• Praise 2

'cos may end up like Chevy Chase in National Lampoon Holiday . . . . go round and round and round . . . from day time till night time, unable to filter out [laugh][grin]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2