Tower Transit clinches first tendered bus contract

Camrysfa

Turbocharged

Please remove if already posted. If not please help to rename the title.

Looks like a brighter future for bus commuters ..... if they succeed,

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/article.php?AID=12931

The Straits Times reported that Tower Transit which had submitted the third lowest bid, will operate the new Bulim Bus Depot - off Jurong West Avenue 2 - and 26 bus services from the Jurong East, Bukit Batok and Clementi bus interchanges progressively from the second quarter of 2016.

These services are currently run by SMRT and SBS Transit. The company will get an estimated total fee of $556 million over the five-year contract period to run the services.

Feeder services will run at shorter intervals of six to eight minutes. The current fleet of 290 buses serving the zone will grow to about 380.

The Land Transport Authority said that commuters can expect higher service levels as all bus services will have scheduled headways of no more than 15 minutes in both directions during the morning and evening peaks.

"The restructuring of the public bus industry and the injection of more competition will bring about even higher bus service levels for commuters. With bus contracting, the Government will plan bus services and can thus be more responsive to changes in ridership and commuter needs," said LTA's chief executive officer Chew Men Leong.

Under the new regime, the Government owns the buses and other infrastructure, collects all the revenue from fares and pays transport firms to operate the routes.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Gov still prefer FT to local bus operators to run the third bus services ...... :wacko:

Locally, we have quite a number of big bus operators (private buses) but still FT selected .... [shakehead]

Turbocharged

Gov still prefer FT to local bus operators to run the third bus services ...... :wacko:

Locally, we have quite a number of big bus operators (private buses) but still FT selected .... [shakehead]

I really do not know.

But it may be a good thing - to shake up the big companies here who may be dug deeply in old ways of doing things.

• Praise 6

Hypersonic

I really do not know.

But it may be a good thing - to shake up the big companies here who may be dug deeply in old ways of doing things.

I hope the companies can recruit enough bus drivers. 26 services, that's easily 100 drivers and more?

I think one of the major problems with these transport companies is staffing.

Especially when considering bus services have to run 365 days a week.

the whole restructuring exercise is about comfort, convenience, efficient, etc. and those do not come cheap.

When COE averaging from $70k onward, public transport cost will seem to be reasonable.

Hypersonic

Interesting to give someone else instead of smrt. Given the bad spotlight on smrt i the past few years, they should rank low in the selection.

(edited)

LOWEST bid.

That means, cheaperer, fasterer, betterer???

I think the "fetish" laden local companies with fat profit margins for the boss/shareholders and cheap labour is hard to wean off them.

Lets have an open mind and see what this Tower can do.

Edited by Kangadrool

i dont know about you but i am relieved for once that they are no longer just gunning for the lowest bid. Transport is the lifeline of any country and it should be the best operator at the job.

• Praise 4

Supersonic

i dont know about you but i am relieved for once that they are no longer just gunning for the lowest bid. Transport is the lifeline of any country and it should be the best operator at the job.

Agreed. This is good news but it still remains to be seen if the new operator is going to give us back that 100 mil in terms of better service and reliability.

Let's watch and see.

(edited)

kind of wayang if you ask me....

both local bus operator have shares own by garment. How will they let them go out of business???

Edited by Hamburger
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Tower Transit: -

The company’s Singapore office is located off West Coast Highway, and is manned by three employees, including a former SMRT operations executive.

http://www.towertransit.sg/

Seems like they will be getting 900 staff for the project... Let's see how well they are going to run Singapore Public Transport System...

Reality will hit very soon.... Where to find the 700 drivers?

Towner Transit said can target ITE, poly and those serving NS now. I really really hope they know the employment situation here.

Reality will hit very soon.... Where to find the 700 drivers?

Towner Transit said can target ITE, poly and those serving NS now. I really really hope they know the employment situation here.

Got $$ can solve liao lah. If they can give a better salary then SMRT and SBS, many will jump ship to join them.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

if they can give a better salary then SMRT and SBS, many will jump ship to join them.

so fares increase? as if their expat CEO is gona give up his fat arse paycheck.

BTW how many jobs in this UK coy is gona goto expats? r they gona give lack of talent excuse?

Edited by Duckduck

Supersonic

so fares increase? as if their expat CEO is gona give up his fat arse paycheck.

BTW how many jobs in this UK coy is gona goto expats? r they gona give lack of talent excuse?

Why fare increase? The new model is that revenues have nothing to do with the fares.

They already bid 500 mil plus and that is what they will get. Fares up or down has nothing to do with them as the revenue collected goes to the government.

↡ Advertisement