Tower Transit clinches first tendered bus contract

Camrysfa

SBST don't operate taxi.  Holding co of SBST operates taxi.

Do you mean Comfortdelgro has better management?

Ya. Comfort Delgro.

↡ Advertisement

Which service is it?

If it's airport services, then they can't use double deckers. Or is it a very low demand service?

So far most of their services are quite consistent and predictable via the frequencies app.

Probably you should write in to LTA and SBST to see their point of view.

Even bus is consistent and predicable via the apps, but overall waiting time is long for the SBST bus services i take. The bus services that i take not airport services la. Actually i dont understand why in sg, bus companies always like to justify the use of their doubled decker? I dont understand they cannot provide a higher level of service standard for people, even low demand service can also run double decker if the route permits, for just in case there is a surge of passengers?! Lol.

Even bus is consistent and predicable via the apps, but overall waiting time is long for the SBST bus services i take. The bus services that i take not airport services la. Actually i dont understand why in sg, bus companies always like to justify the use of their doubled decker? I dont understand they cannot provide a higher level of service standard for people, even low demand service can also run double decker if the route permits, for just in case there is a surge of passengers?! Lol.

Under bus contracting model, bus belongs to LTA.

Tell LTA off if they don't provide double deck loh.

Operator don't own the assets anymore.

Under bus contracting model, bus belongs to LTA.

Tell LTA off if they don't provide double deck loh.

Operator don't own the assets anymore.

I think in my SBST case, even before SBST own the assets, they also could not provide double decker or good services lo. So now under the bus contracting model, SBST can push all the blame away liao even their bus standard no good. 

I think in my SBST case, even before SBST own the assets, they also could not provide double decker or good services lo. So now under the bus contracting model, SBST can push all the blame away liao even their bus standard no good. 

Bus & Service quality is different matter.

Bus can alway f LTA.

Service quality also can f LTA who will penalise the operator.

No matter who wins the contract

3 or 4 buses with the same number will all come together.

Then you wait another 40 minutes for another 2 or 3 to come together.

If I was LTA I would make it part of the contract to come every 5 to 10 minutes

instead of all together.

But I am not LTA.

:D

instead of all together.

But I am not LTA.

Not all come together is also part of operator KPI

instead of all together.

But I am not LTA.

I believe LTA or even the bus operator themselves would tell you they have no control when 2 or 3 buses come together, cause they cannot control on the traffic condition on the road. 

Supersonic

So what service is it?

As far as I observed, many of their services are getting double deckers after the contracting model, like 3, 4, 6, 19, 37, 39, 45, 48, 52, 54, 58, 59, 66, 85, 91, 95, 96, 103, 130, 145, 151, 185, 186, 502, 506, 518.

Actually you are quite right about the usage of double deckers in Singapore. But at least SBST had a sizable fleet of double deckers to improve the bus service.

Do you know that before the bus contracting model starts, SMRT buses have no double deckers at all and we have to squeeze in overcrowded single deckers and eccentric frequencies that trunk services can have up to 30 mins waiting times during peak hours? Buses were so dirty that dust clouds formed when you pat the cloth seats.

Luckily LTA stepped in and force it to operate according to basic standards.

Edited by DACH

Supersonic

This is one of the complaint emails I have written to LTA and their reply, in regards to poorer frequencies of service 36 by GoAhead.

Maybe you can relate your concerns to them.

Our Ref: LTA/PT/PTR/PTQ/F20.000.000/18758

Date : 18-Apr-2017

Tel : 6553 8157

Fax : 6553 5329

Dear Mr ___

Poor frequency of bus service 36 in the morning.

FEEDBACK NUMBER: 20170402-0181

We received your email of 2 April 2017.

Service 36 is currently scheduled to arrive at the bus stop opposite One Amber (#82051) along Tanjong Katong Road South at intervals of 4-15 minutes during the morning peak hours from 6.30am to 8.30am on weekdays. With varying traffic conditions, passenger activities and weather conditions, bus arrival intervals can be expected to differ from schedule by up to 5 minutes.

We are sorry to hear of your bad experience. Our checks from 13 March to 7 April 2017 at the aforementioned bus stop and time period showed that the overall reliability of Service 36 was acceptable with more than 95% of the trips arriving within the scheduled intervals. However, there were 1-2 trips with long wait times of up to 22 minutes on some days of our checks.

While we understand that bus arrivals at bus stops are often impacted by traffic conditions and passenger activities en-route, we agree that operators should still do their best to ensure that buses arrive regularly. Hence, we have reminded Go-Ahead Singapore (GAS) to tighten their bus operations and to remind their bus drivers to adhere to the scheduled intervals closely to minimise instances of prolonged wait times.

We understand your frustration when the buses do not arrive as scheduled. With the transition to the Bus Contracting Model, Service 36 is now assessed under the Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF). The BSRF is an incentive-penalty framework designed to incentivise bus operators to ensure that buses arrive at regular intervals at bus stops. Improved reliability and regularity of bus services will minimise irregular arrivals at bus-stops and ensure better spread of passengers on board at trip level. The framework benefits commuters by nudging bus operators to actively manage real-time bus movements throughout the entire journey such that irregular bus arrivals and bus bunching can be minimised.

We will continue to monitor the performance of Service 36 closely and work with the bus operator to implement measures to further improve the service, where necessary.

We thank you for writing in.

Yours sincerely

Gurpreet Singh

Deputy Manager, Bus Performance Management

Public Transport Quality

SENDER'S DETAILS

==================

Sender's Name : _____________

Email Address : _____________

Telephone No. :

Feedback Date : 2 April 2017

Received Date : 2 April 2017

----------------------------------------------------------------------

To : [email protected],[email protected]

cc :

Bcc :

Sent On : Sun Apr 02 20:17:31 SGT 2017

Subject : Poor frequency of bus service 36 in the morning.

Body :

Dear Sir/Miss/Mdm,

I would like to feedback to the service standards of bus service 36 since it has been handled over to GoAhead last year.

The frequency/waiting time for service 36 was better under SBS Transit in the morning from 7am to 7.30am whereby within 10 minutes there will be a bus approaching bus stop B82051 (Bus stop opposite One Amber along Tanjong Katong Road South). Thus in total about 3-4 buses would arrive within this period.

However ever since the bus service was handed over to GoAhead last year, the frequencies becomes worse. Sometimes I can wait for the bus for as long as 20 minutes. As observed, most of the time in the morning from 7am to 7.30am, only 2 buses will arrive the bus stop instead. I have also noticed that the bus company do not give enough time allowances for each trip to the bus captains and hence causing fast driving speeds which can be dangerous to the passengers, bus captains and other road users too.

Thus I hope the LTA and PTC will look into this matter and urge GoAhead to improve the bus frequency for service 36 in the morning. If not, please hand over the service back to SBS Transit, which would provide a better bus service.

Thank You

And

Regards

I believe LTA or even the bus operator themselves would tell you they have no control when 2 or 3 buses come together, cause they cannot control on the traffic condition on the road. 

There are ppl in control centre to monitor movement of all bus route for respective operator.

Therefore, sometime bus captain will do some stupid thing like purposely drive slow to make sure that they arrive in time.

Supersonic

Since when GLCs blame themselves for their own mistakes?

When I feedbacked to SMRT buses back in 2008 about their dirty buses and cockroaches, they said they had stuck to their frequent regime of cleaning their buses, citing that commuters should do their part not to eat and litter in their buses. Almost all their buses were extremely dirty with cockroaches and poorly maintained that era.

Read already damn angry.

So what service is it?

As far as I observed, many of their services are getting double deckers after the contracting model, like 3, 4, 6, 19, 37, 39, 45, 48, 52, 54, 58, 59, 66, 85, 91, 95, 96, 103, 130, 145, 151, 185, 186, 502, 506, 518.

Actually you are quite right about the usage of double deckers in Singapore. But at least SBST had a sizable fleet of double deckers to improve the bus service.

Do you know that before the bus contracting model starts, SMRT buses have no double deckers at all and we have to squeeze in overcrowded single deckers and eccentric frequencies that trunk services can have up to 30 mins waiting times during peak hours? Buses were so dirty that dust clouds formed when you pat the cloth seats.

Luckily LTA stepped in and force it to operate according to basic standards.

Some of the bus services that you observed above, thing is SBST dont really deployed full double decker. I have took some of these services. Usually majority of the fleet in some of these bus services still using single decker, and only 1 or 2 double decker is running. Something like your luck must be super good to see a double decker that comes along.

Although last time SMRT buses have no double decker, but they do have lots of bendy buses which still better than SBST only have single decker buses, even though SBST has a sizeable fleet of double decker, but they have a very poor deployment use of their double decker.

Some of the bus services that you observed above, thing is SBST dont really deployed full double decker. I have took some of these services. Usually majority of the fleet in some of these bus services still using single decker, and only 1 or 2 double decker is running. Something like your luck must be super good to see a double decker that comes along.

Although last time SMRT buses have no double decker, but they do have lots of bendy buses which still better than SBST only have single decker buses, even though SBST has a sizeable fleet of double decker, but they have a very poor deployment use of their double decker.

Like last time, one bus aircon and one bus non-aircon. If want aircon, need to let the non-aircon bus go first. [laugh]

This is one of the complaint emails I have written to LTA and their reply, in regards to poorer frequencies of service 36 by GoAhead.

Maybe you can relate your concerns to them.

Our Ref: LTA/PT/PTR/PTQ/F20.000.000/18758

Date : 18-Apr-2017

Tel : 6553 8157

Fax : 6553 5329

Dear Mr ___

Poor frequency of bus service 36 in the morning.

FEEDBACK NUMBER: 20170402-0181

We received your email of 2 April 2017.

Service 36 is currently scheduled to arrive at the bus stop opposite One Amber (#82051) along Tanjong Katong Road South at intervals of 4-15 minutes during the morning peak hours from 6.30am to 8.30am on weekdays. With varying traffic conditions, passenger activities and weather conditions, bus arrival intervals can be expected to differ from schedule by up to 5 minutes.

We are sorry to hear of your bad experience. Our checks from 13 March to 7 April 2017 at the aforementioned bus stop and time period showed that the overall reliability of Service 36 was acceptable with more than 95% of the trips arriving within the scheduled intervals. However, there were 1-2 trips with long wait times of up to 22 minutes on some days of our checks.

While we understand that bus arrivals at bus stops are often impacted by traffic conditions and passenger activities en-route, we agree that operators should still do their best to ensure that buses arrive regularly. Hence, we have reminded Go-Ahead Singapore (GAS) to tighten their bus operations and to remind their bus drivers to adhere to the scheduled intervals closely to minimise instances of prolonged wait times.

We understand your frustration when the buses do not arrive as scheduled. With the transition to the Bus Contracting Model, Service 36 is now assessed under the Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF). The BSRF is an incentive-penalty framework designed to incentivise bus operators to ensure that buses arrive at regular intervals at bus stops. Improved reliability and regularity of bus services will minimise irregular arrivals at bus-stops and ensure better spread of passengers on board at trip level. The framework benefits commuters by nudging bus operators to actively manage real-time bus movements throughout the entire journey such that irregular bus arrivals and bus bunching can be minimised.

We will continue to monitor the performance of Service 36 closely and work with the bus operator to implement measures to further improve the service, where necessary.

We thank you for writing in.

Yours sincerely

Gurpreet Singh

Deputy Manager, Bus Performance Management

Public Transport Quality

SENDER'S DETAILS

==================

Sender's Name : _____________

Email Address : _____________

Telephone No. :

Feedback Date : 2 April 2017

Received Date : 2 April 2017

----------------------------------------------------------------------

To : [email protected],[email protected]

cc :

Bcc :

Sent On : Sun Apr 02 20:17:31 SGT 2017

Subject : Poor frequency of bus service 36 in the morning.

Body :

Dear Sir/Miss/Mdm,

I would like to feedback to the service standards of bus service 36 since it has been handled over to GoAhead last year.

The frequency/waiting time for service 36 was better under SBS Transit in the morning from 7am to 7.30am whereby within 10 minutes there will be a bus approaching bus stop B82051 (Bus stop opposite One Amber along Tanjong Katong Road South). Thus in total about 3-4 buses would arrive within this period.

However ever since the bus service was handed over to GoAhead last year, the frequencies becomes worse. Sometimes I can wait for the bus for as long as 20 minutes. As observed, most of the time in the morning from 7am to 7.30am, only 2 buses will arrive the bus stop instead. I have also noticed that the bus company do not give enough time allowances for each trip to the bus captains and hence causing fast driving speeds which can be dangerous to the passengers, bus captains and other road users too.

Thus I hope the LTA and PTC will look into this matter and urge GoAhead to improve the bus frequency for service 36 in the morning. If not, please hand over the service back to SBS Transit, which would provide a better bus service.

Thank You

And

Regards

Looks like it is a standard type of format from them (those wordings which i have highlighted in blue), whether it is the bus operator or even LTA and no matter which bus service and which bus operator you complain?! They just changed the bus operator name, bus service number and timing etc. Thing is after you have complain to them, did you see any improvement on the bus service?

I know why there is a gap of 22 minutes.

The first bus leaves on time. 

The second bus leaves 8 minutes later and speeds like mad to tailgate the first bus.

The third bus leaves another 8 minutes later and drives like a Formular 1 driver and catches

up with the first 2 drivers.

So if you miss the 3 buses in a row. You will have to wait the 22 minutes until the forth

bus arrives.

Lucky for F1 driver the third bus driver never take part in the Night Race. All those drivers

earning millions in sponsorship will all be embarrassed when he laps them time after time.  [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Actually many SBST services have fairly good double deckers deployments, like 7, 14, 25, 74, 87, 88, 147, 161, 168, 174, 198, etc.

Problem with some silly rulings from PTC and LTA in the past, some fleet procured must have some percentage of single deckers. So now still have many single deckers.

Actually there are only about 300 bendy buses under SMRT compared to 1,000 over double deckers under SBST before the bus contracting model starts.

And bendy buses are much worse than double and single deckers because they takes up a lot of space and cause lots of jams and parking problems within the interchange and depots. SMRT only improves recently because LTA scraps more and more bendies to free up more spaces for more single and double deckers to improve the frequencies and add new bus services.

Now LTA takes over the ownership of all the bus fleets. Even there are still many single deckers bought, however the number of double deckers bought recently is even higher, almost 2,500 Volvo B9TLs, 200 odd ADL E500s and close to 300 MAN A95s.

The way how Singapore buses operate is weird because they want a fleet of single and double deckers to play around to make sure optimum use of the buses, unlike Hong Kong.

Frequencies stretch a bit, use double deckers, frequencies shortern for next bus, use single deckers. It's a norm for whichever operators here. I once have to wait for 5 buses before I can board a double decker on SMRT 857, because I want to sleep on the quiet upper deck cabin. Luckily I have the time to wait.

↡ Advertisement