Tower Transit clinches first tendered bus contract

Camrysfa

Turbocharged

Why fare increase? The new model is that revenues have nothing to do with the fares.

They already bid 500 mil plus and that is what they will get. Fares up or down has nothing to do with them as the revenue collected goes to the government.

u said they pay higher salary mah, so where is that gona come from in their budget?

↡ Advertisement

so fares increase? as if their expat CEO is gona give up his fat arse paycheck.

BTW how many jobs in this UK coy is gona goto expats? r they gona give lack of talent excuse?

There shld be no reason for them to charge higher fares than the current ones, and I expect them to even charge lower due to lower overheads (no bus depreciation charge and no maintenance charge for the bus depots, bus interchange etc since they belong to the people/govt... )

Now that they bid higher to get the rights, then its either they cut their costs to meet EBIT or they pass the costs to us? I'm waiting to see..

As for the import of FT, i think not only the mgt team is FT, they may even import ang mo bus driver to drive too since its kaki lang and a unique selling point of their ang mo service?? .. so next time dun be surprised to have the driver greet u "g'day mate".. but then which ang mo FT will work for peanuts like the ah tiong n msia drivers now?? cost increase again ?... i'm waiting to see...

Anyone knows will they be monopoly on the routes they serve? if yes, then will be no difference than what it is now with SBS, SMRT/TIBS, since there is no other alternate public tpt than other from them... so will we be held hostage to this FT co too? i'm waiting to see...

in the end, i'm waiting to see if this is all about nothing but a charade/wayang, to change the soup but not the medicine... will we be mind-fcuked again with "good news" before the imminent GE? The implications of this 3rd public tpt provider goes beyond buses....

Why fare increase? The new model is that revenues have nothing to do with the fares.

They already bid 500 mil plus and that is what they will get. Fares up or down has nothing to do with them as the revenue collected goes to the government.

so will the govt increase our fares if the operator later cry father cry mother cannot meet ebit? or will our "sympathetic" govt cite increasing operating costs (god knows what these consist of!) to help Tower out??

also, please help me to understand if SMRT bid lower to run these routes, then why was this higher bidder given the rights instead? Promises of better service? then who will audit the SLA?? who will say the service is indeed better to warrant more money given to this FT bus co??? on the flip side, if smrt bid lower and didnt get, then it means that smrt service sucks? Then why they cry father cry mother say increasing costs and to provide better service then make us pay more and more each year to them, when their service sucks in the first place????

I'm waiting to see.....

Turbocharged

so will the govt increase our fares if the operator later cry father cry mother cannot meet ebit? or will our "sympathetic" govt cite increasing operating costs (god knows what these consist of!) to help Tower out??

also, please help me to understand if SMRT bid lower to run these routes, then why was this higher bidder given the rights instead? Promises of better service? then who will audit the SLA?? who will say the service is indeed better to warrant more money given to this FT bus co??? on the flip side, if smrt bid lower and didnt get, then it means that smrt service sucks? Then why they cry father cry mother say increasing costs and to provide better service then make us pay more and more each year to them, when their service sucks in the first place????

I'm waiting to see.....

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-30612808

"A Unite spokesperson said: "Faced with an increasingly hostile management which is hell bent on driving down the pay, terms and conditions, our members have been left with little option but to take the unusual step of striking.

"Tower Transit need to get back around the negotiating table and start treating its workforce with respect."

• Praise 2

Supersonic

u said they pay higher salary mah, so where is that gona come from in their budget?

I didn't say it but I venture it could come from part of their 100 mil difference between SMRT's bid?

I'm waiting to see.....

Obviously no one other than LTA knows exactly how the technical proposal from Tower is better than SMRT's but like I said, we should wait till they start the service before complaining about poor service.

From what I understand about such multi-million dollar bids is that some tenderers might submit exclusions so their price looks better than the competitors (eg, SMRT could have submitted a lower bid but excluded servicing for the bus and without being privy to the entire proposal, we will not know this).

Also, SMRT has already proven that they cannot meet the service standards demanded by Singaporeans (for trains) so maybe they already started with some negative points in the evaluation process?

"A Unite spokesperson said: "Faced with an increasingly hostile management which is hell bent on driving down the pay, terms and conditions, our members have been left with little option but to take the unusual step of striking.

"Tower Transit need to get back around the negotiating table and start treating its workforce with respect."

Such strikes are common in those countries and quoting the union organising the strike is obviously going to be biased against the company.

More importantly, such strikes are not allowed in Singapore.

• Praise 3

thanks bro... seems like tower can't keep their own house in order, yet come into SG to play??

Did our govt vett their service levels to begin with? or was the selection made merely on costs and empty promises of service??

Their own London drivers strike, but they not afraid in SG bec our govt is anti-stirke, so no problem for Tower to dig for gold here??

Some people lost a lot of money on empty promises of high return in UK property, and i hope our officials dont get duped so easily by this UK co....

I'm waiting to see...

they are taking over most of the bus services starting from the west side Jurong East, Bukit Batok and Clementi [sweatdrop][sweatdrop] that would be my area, hopefully get to experience better service.

竞标失败 SMRT将协助受影响员工
11/05/2015 on 我报
By 叶伟强
失去巴士路线经营权的巴士业者SMRT前天举行内部对话会,向受影响的巴士车长和转换站员工解释新巴士经营模式对他们的影响。
陆路交通管理局上周五宣布,英国巴士业者Tower Transit集团标得首个巴士路线配套的经营权,从明年第2季起逐步接手经营26条以裕廊东、武吉巴督和金文泰转换站为起点的巴士路线。
26条线路当中,17条由新捷运经营,其余由SMRT企业经营,受影响巴士车长总数约达450人。
据《联合早报》了解,SMRT企业上星期六在克兰芝车厂,一天内开了6场交流会,由公司管理层和全国交通工友联合会的工会领袖,接见武吉巴督巴士转换站的员工,以及负责从该转换站出发巴士路线的巴士车长。
所有参与SMRT巴士业务的员工,也接获一封由SMRT巴士副总裁陈健雄署名的电邮,内容相信是为了提振员工士气。
除了对竞标失败表示失望以外,陈健雄在电邮中说,SMRT将尽全力与陆交局和交联会密切合作,协助和支持受影响员工,并确保交接的程序能顺利完成。
据了解,新捷运管理层日前与驾驶有关路线的司机开过几次会议,并表示受影响车长可自行决定是否留下,或过档新公司。
为确保在过渡时期,受影响巴士业工友的福利得到保障,交联会已成立巴士路线外包过渡委员会。

Turbocharged

Their own London drivers strike, but they not afraid in SG bec our govt is anti-stirke, so no problem for Tower to dig for gold here??

thats y FTs love it here coz labor laws are pro biz, not pro labor. Boleh has even stronger labor laws than us :D

they are taking over most of the bus services starting from the west side Jurong East, Bukit Batok and Clementi [sweatdrop][sweatdrop] that would be my area, hopefully get to experience better service.

wanna take bus 196? [grin]

bus-driver.jpg

thats y FTs love it here coz labor laws are pro biz, not pro labor. Boleh has even stronger labor laws than us :D

exactly bro.. you are right... thats why foreigners like to come here do biz, and not scared locals will create trouble for them... if the locals push back, then the local govt will put the locals into place, while the foreign co rake in the $$$... win win for the foreigners right?? then whats in it for the locals? no wonder other countries have better labor laws to protect their own, than us.... we only get a talk down from the govt for creating trouble and upsetting the rice bowls... while letting others take advantage of us... no wonder we are flooded with FT everywhere...

wa lao.. sama sama bro... dunno my bus will come at all or not.. :lll._.:

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

wa lao.. sama sama bro... dunno my bus will come at all or not.. :lll._.:

I don't understand why you are not open to having a different service provider just because they are foreign. The people have been complaining about SMRT and SBS for many years.

To have awarded this contract to them would have been business as usual and not what we are looking for. How about you keep an open mind and leave your complaints to AFTER this new company actually fails to deliver?

*Edit* Another pertinent question: Do you take the bus daily?

Edited by Kusje
  • Praise 1

(edited)

jin simple one.

Once Tower takes over, the existing staff from their current (loosing) employer(s) will don a new uniform and start work immediately.

There's no need to throw in the towels over 700 drivers.

:D

Reality will hit very soon.... Where to find the 700 drivers?

Towner Transit said can target ITE, poly and those serving NS now. I really really hope they know the employment situation here.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

I didn't say it but I venture it could come from part of their 100 mil difference between SMRT's bid?

Obviously no one other than LTA knows exactly how the technical proposal from Tower is better than SMRT's but like I said, we should wait till they start the service before complaining about poor service.

From what I understand about such multi-million dollar bids is that some tenderers might submit exclusions so their price looks better than the competitors (eg, SMRT could have submitted a lower bid but excluded servicing for the bus and without being privy to the entire proposal, we will not know this).

Also, SMRT has already proven that they cannot meet the service standards demanded by Singaporeans (for trains) so maybe they already started with some negative points in the evaluation process?

Such strikes are common in those countries and quoting the union organising the strike is obviously going to be biased against the company.

More importantly, such strikes are not allowed in Singapore.

The most recently big strike in europe should be germany lufthansa pilot strike. Affecting 3800 flights.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26822280

Turbocharged
(edited)

Want good service.... later they ask you pay in British Pounce / Aussie Dollar... :XD:

Edited by Nlatio

I don't understand why you are not open to having a different service provider just because they are foreign. The people have been complaining about SMRT and SBS for many years.

To have awarded this contract to them would have been business as usual and not what we are looking for. How about you keep an open mind and leave your complaints to AFTER this new company actually fails to deliver?

*Edit* Another pertinent question: Do you take the bus daily?

Yes, I do take it daily, every morning and night if you must know... and its not getting any better, even tho the bus company say otherwise.. i dun believe in all the horse talk about improving transport service quality every time the govt opens its mouth... enough of the daily mess i see in the mrt.. duckduck already provided an article of the tower strike and there should be no smoke without fire... a long long time ago, SG had many private bus operators and the reason for consolidating all of them into SBS was to improve efficiency and cut down on wastage due to duplication.. well,, are we not peddling back to the same ol days after 50 years?? The proof is in the pudding and I'll reserve my scepticism to be proven otherwise by this new operator...

jin simple one.

Once Tower takes over, the existing staff from their current (loosing) employer(s) will don a new uniform and start work immediately.

There's no need to throw in the towels over 700 drivers.

:D

Bro, got source? I read the chinese article here , and didnt see anyting abt transfer of employees.. maybe my chinese F9 la.... [bigcry]

(edited)

Yes, I do take it daily, every morning and night if you must know... and its not getting any better, even tho the bus company say otherwise.. i dun believe in all the horse talk about improving transport service quality every time the govt opens its mouth... enough of the daily mess i see in the mrt.. duckduck already provided an article of the tower strike and there should be no smoke without fire... a long long time ago, SG had many private bus operators and the reason for consolidating all of them into SBS was to improve efficiency and cut down on wastage due to duplication.. well,, are we not peddling back to the same ol days after 50 years?? The proof is in the pudding and I'll reserve my scepticism to be proven otherwise by this new operator...

Bro, got source? I read the chinese article here , and didnt see anyting abt transfer of employees.. maybe my chinese F9 la.... [bigcry]

Article says, existing bus company reassure their staff.... will help them on job placement. can choose to stay or transfer over....

I say, if they are steady, they should retrench excess staff due to redundancy and offer a severance package. Then, assist them on job placement......

Win-Win! Retrenched staff got new uniform to wear, got payouts....., got new jobs

Existing bus company downsize staff due to "no more" business for the bidded routes; save costs, no more headache over "cannot find drivers in Singapore" syndrome which they always comprain.

Edited by Kangadrool

If duopoly does not improve service quality, shouldn't be more competition be put in place?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1