Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
266 replies to this topic | 792 praises

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:26 AM

redkenken
  • redkenken
    Clutched
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi All,

I admit that I am attracted by Jetta because it is a Europe car and the current offered price is very attractive too. it is spacious and the boot is huge. However, when I went through all the threads, it seems it got a terrible history.  I have a few questions:

1) the 7 speed gear box- when I checked with the sales, he told me it is not an issue any more for those 2015 Jetta. How likely I can trust him? he told me the sales figure is good this year.

2) Currently WV only offers 3 years warranty for the gear box now. After the warranty, the sales told me it is about 2K+ to replace it. If I want to keep this car after 3 years, Do I have to budget this 2K+ every year based on the information given by some brothers in this forum.

3) Besides this gear box issue, Is there any other main issue for this model?

The sales kept telling me that I don't need to worry about it any more since WV has fixed it for the year 2015 model. if it is still a concern to me, he suggested me that I can sell it just before end of the 3rd years.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:30 AM

Fcw75
  • Fcw75
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

U got see any fruit seller say his fruits are rotten?

Edited by Fcw75, 14 May 2015 - 12:34 AM.

Toothiewabbit, RH1667, Soya, Camrytron, L23, LoverofCar, Micb, 7 other members and 2 Anonymous members praised this

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:04 AM

7hm
  • Premium member
    7hm
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

The DSG problem is that apparently the weather here affected the electronics because the ATF they used wasn't suitable for our climate.

Don't seem to be a lot of recent complaints, but their reputation is already damaged. I can't say myself, I never had a Volkswagen or know anyone who has given their personal experiences.

On the other hand Audi is using the same gearbox and nobody seems to have complaint a lot about S-tronic.

1 Anonymous member praised this
Driving car, not funny, bid for car with COE, ERP, road tax, PARF until you want to barf

Dabbler in digital graphics, computer assembly, tech and photography.
「さぁ、今、手を伸ばして 」

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:04 AM

Holdenutessv
  • Premium member
    Holdenutessv
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Hi All,

I admit that I am attracted by Jetta because it is a Europe car and the current offered price is very attractive too. it is spacious and the boot is huge. However, when I went through all the threads, it seems it got a terrible history.  I have a few questions:

1) the 7 speed gear box- when I checked with the sales, he told me it is not an issue any more for those 2015 Jetta. How likely I can trust him? he told me the sales figure is good this year.

2) Currently WV only offers 3 years warranty for the gear box now. After the warranty, the sales told me it is about 2K+ to replace it. If I want to keep this car after 3 years, Do I have to budget this 2K+ every year based on the information given by some brothers in this forum.

The sales kept telling me that I don't need to worry about it any more since WV has fixed it for the year 2015 model. if it is still a concern to me, he suggested me that I can sell it just before end of the 3rd years.

Thanks,

Ken

You can go ahead and try your luck  [grin] but... most of us are going to say no at this point in time.

Toothiewabbit, RH1667 and 1 Anonymous member praised this
Error 404: Signature Not Found

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:39 AM

Pinobii
  • Pinobii
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

For peace of mind, try Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc

More reliable and so far, haven't hear much gear box issues

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:01 AM

azaouogh
  • Premium member
    azaouogh
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

If the sales provide only 3 yrs of warranty for gearbox I think it pretty clear cut they themselves are not confident the gearbox can last more than 3 yrs
Blackyv and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:42 AM

Andyngps
  • Premium member
    Andyngps
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Made in south africa still?

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:59 AM

Pioneer
  • Premium member
    Pioneer
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I think the salesman is correct. The problem has gone now. You should buy it!
Kangadrool praised this

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:08 AM

Blackyv
  • Premium member
    Blackyv
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Champion salesman... If got problem, sell away within 3yrs? ... Wtf... As if he is going to absord the huge dep... knn... Another example why I don't trust salesman at all..
Count-Bracula and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:24 AM

Hosaybo
  • Premium member
    Hosaybo
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Salesman concern is their own pocket, not yours! However, do not know anyone directly who has a 2015 model so cannot comment. Do know one that has a 2012 model and it went to the workshop for 9 days due to gearbox issue within the first year of ownership. I believe you are just going to hear lot of negative, jetta of my friend's friend dsg broke down kind of comment. The reputation is that bad. I don't think u can get any clarity now as this is only the 5th month into 2015. Those with this recent model may not have any issue but the timeline is too short to be conclusive.
Count-Bracula and Lotr praised this

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:40 AM

Pioneer
  • Premium member
    Pioneer
    5th Gear
    Author Image

That was the 2012 model. It is now 2015.

I am doubtful the problem is solved but the salesman with so many years of experience of selling vws must be right!

*sheesh* Must not come online to say bad things about vw, the owners will come out full gun blazing *sheesh*

This is the best time to buy VWs! I will definitely buy a vw if i change my car.

Salesman concern is their own pocket, not yours! However, do not know anyone directly who has a 2015 model so cannot comment. Do know one that has a 2012 model and it went to the workshop for 9 days due to gearbox issue within the first year of ownership. I believe you are just going to hear lot of negative, jetta of my friend's friend dsg broke down kind of comment. The reputation is that bad. I don't think u can get any clarity now as this is only the 5th month into 2015. Those with this recent model may not have any issue but the timeline is too short to be conclusive.

tyco_kia praised this

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Hi All,

Thanks,
Ken

The only advice is that yes the mechatronics unit is prone to failure. Yes it's more reliable than the older versions (? Due to their claims of changing the maintenance method) but this reliability is relative. Yes if it fails, it costs 2 plus k. U do get a 2 year warranty on the MU replacement I believe.
You have to ask whether u can live with the possible downtime, the cost of this replacement if it happens after 3 years, the worry that it may fail while on a B Road in Malaysia at night.
That being said, a few of my friends enjoy their vw, but none has been lucky enough to have a MU failure when they really need the car.
Most other makes their cars can still run despite most mechanical faults. But if your MU fails, your car is dead in the water

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:05 AM

Melvinyuen
  • Premium member
    Melvinyuen
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Bro it's all salesman talk. I do that all the time. Lol.
GLZT, Lotr and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:12 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

If I were in your shoes I would only consider it only if the gb warranty coverage is as long as the loan. So if you are taking 3 years loan ok lah. If anything happens after 3 years, quickly sell. LoL... Or if you belong to the "pay full cash" group just sell anytime you are not happy with the car.

Sadly for such cars you have to plan for an exit strategy in case anything bad happens. All the best. Come feedback often so that others who are also interested can decide too. [grin]

Hooray for vw marketing. Buy cheap cheap but servicing & repairs [knife] .

Edited by Watwheels, 14 May 2015 - 08:28 AM.

The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

redkenken
  • redkenken
    Clutched
    Author Image

Made in south africa still?

made in Mexico.

That was the 2012 model. It is now 2015.

I am doubtful the problem is solved but the salesman with so many years of experience of selling vws must be right!

*sheesh* Must not come online to say bad things about vw, the owners will come out full gun blazing *sheesh*

This is the best time to buy VWs! I will definitely buy a vw if i change my car.

Bro, I assume you are joking with me and you don't recommend me to buy it now.
Camrytron praised this

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

Kangadrool
  • Premium member
    Kangadrool
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

just avoid anything that is AMT (any variants of automated manual tranny) for time being, be it Japanese or European. It has never had a good reputation, if your priority is low maintenance and superb reliability.

Edited by Kangadrool, 14 May 2015 - 08:22 AM.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:37 AM

Fcw75
  • Fcw75
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Either you are using reverse psychology or you must be really afraid VW owners here come and soot you...hahaha.

Bro it's all salesman talk. I do that all the time. Lol.

Hahaha, take one to know one eh.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

Toothiewabbit
  • Premium member
    Toothiewabbit
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

u sho bad!

[:p]
FourZero, Spring, Pioneer and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:49 AM

Blackyv
  • Premium member
    Blackyv
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

if you have been reading up with question like this, SE said the same thing in year 2012, 2013, 2014 and of cause this year 2015 model problem solved liao kind of BS.... i will only consider as long new model come with new wet GB .. like 8-dsg in 2016 perhaps.... [laugh]

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:49 AM

Budgetice
  • Budgetice
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Hi All,

Thanks,
Ken

They told me the same thing in 2012.. But good thing i didnt fall for it.. That time they were still offering 5 years warranty for the gearbox... Went to ford in the end..

You can still buy.. But dont be the first few.. Monitor for complaints and try bargain for 5yr warranty for the gearbox to play safe
be thankful... and life will be beautiful

Back to Volkswagen Auto Club  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users