Is wise to buy a new 2015 Jetta now

redkenken

Hi All,

I admit that I am attracted by Jetta because it is a Europe car and the current offered price is very attractive too. it is spacious and the boot is huge. However, when I went through all the threads, it seems it got a terrible history. I have a few questions:

1) the 7 speed gear box- when I checked with the sales, he told me it is not an issue any more for those 2015 Jetta. How likely I can trust him? he told me the sales figure is good this year.

2) Currently WV only offers 3 years warranty for the gear box now. After the warranty, the sales told me it is about 2K+ to replace it. If I want to keep this car after 3 years, Do I have to budget this 2K+ every year based on the information given by some brothers in this forum.

3) Besides this gear box issue, Is there any other main issue for this model?

The sales kept telling me that I don't need to worry about it any more since WV has fixed it for the year 2015 model. if it is still a concern to me, he suggested me that I can sell it just before end of the 3rd years.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic
(edited)

U got see any fruit seller say his fruits are rotten?

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 16

Turbocharged

The DSG problem is that apparently the weather here affected the electronics because the ATF they used wasn't suitable for our climate.

Don't seem to be a lot of recent complaints, but their reputation is already damaged. I can't say myself, I never had a Volkswagen or know anyone who has given their personal experiences.

On the other hand Audi is using the same gearbox and nobody seems to have complaint a lot about S-tronic.

• Praise 1

Hi All,

I admit that I am attracted by Jetta because it is a Europe car and the current offered price is very attractive too. it is spacious and the boot is huge. However, when I went through all the threads, it seems it got a terrible history. I have a few questions:

1) the 7 speed gear box- when I checked with the sales, he told me it is not an issue any more for those 2015 Jetta. How likely I can trust him? he told me the sales figure is good this year.

2) Currently WV only offers 3 years warranty for the gear box now. After the warranty, the sales told me it is about 2K+ to replace it. If I want to keep this car after 3 years, Do I have to budget this 2K+ every year based on the information given by some brothers in this forum.

The sales kept telling me that I don't need to worry about it any more since WV has fixed it for the year 2015 model. if it is still a concern to me, he suggested me that I can sell it just before end of the 3rd years.

Thanks,

Ken

You can go ahead and try your luck [grin] but... most of us are going to say no at this point in time.

• Praise 3

For peace of mind, try Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc

More reliable and so far, haven't hear much gear box issues

• Praise 1

If the sales provide only 3 yrs of warranty for gearbox I think it pretty clear cut they themselves are not confident the gearbox can last more than 3 yrs

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Champion salesman... If got problem, sell away within 3yrs? ... Wtf... As if he is going to absord the huge dep... knn... Another example why I don't trust salesman at all..

• Praise 2

Salesman concern is their own pocket, not yours! However, do not know anyone directly who has a 2015 model so cannot comment. Do know one that has a 2012 model and it went to the workshop for 9 days due to gearbox issue within the first year of ownership. I believe you are just going to hear lot of negative, jetta of my friend's friend dsg broke down kind of comment. The reputation is that bad. I don't think u can get any clarity now as this is only the 5th month into 2015. Those with this recent model may not have any issue but the timeline is too short to be conclusive.

• Praise 2

That was the 2012 model. It is now 2015.

I am doubtful the problem is solved but the salesman with so many years of experience of selling vws must be right!

*sheesh* Must not come online to say bad things about vw, the owners will come out full gun blazing *sheesh*

This is the best time to buy VWs! I will definitely buy a vw if i change my car.

Salesman concern is their own pocket, not yours! However, do not know anyone directly who has a 2015 model so cannot comment. Do know one that has a 2012 model and it went to the workshop for 9 days due to gearbox issue within the first year of ownership. I believe you are just going to hear lot of negative, jetta of my friend's friend dsg broke down kind of comment. The reputation is that bad. I don't think u can get any clarity now as this is only the 5th month into 2015. Those with this recent model may not have any issue but the timeline is too short to be conclusive.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Hi All,

Thanks,

Ken

The only advice is that yes the mechatronics unit is prone to failure. Yes it's more reliable than the older versions (? Due to their claims of changing the maintenance method) but this reliability is relative. Yes if it fails, it costs 2 plus k. U do get a 2 year warranty on the MU replacement I believe.

You have to ask whether u can live with the possible downtime, the cost of this replacement if it happens after 3 years, the worry that it may fail while on a B Road in Malaysia at night.

That being said, a few of my friends enjoy their vw, but none has been lucky enough to have a MU failure when they really need the car.

Most other makes their cars can still run despite most mechanical faults. But if your MU fails, your car is dead in the water

(edited)

If I were in your shoes I would only consider it only if the gb warranty coverage is as long as the loan. So if you are taking 3 years loan ok lah. If anything happens after 3 years, quickly sell. LoL... Or if you belong to the "pay full cash" group just sell anytime you are not happy with the car.

Sadly for such cars you have to plan for an exit strategy in case anything bad happens. All the best. Come feedback often so that others who are also interested can decide too. [grin]

Hooray for vw marketing. Buy cheap cheap but servicing & repairs [knife] .

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Made in south africa still?

made in Mexico.

That was the 2012 model. It is now 2015.

I am doubtful the problem is solved but the salesman with so many years of experience of selling vws must be right!

*sheesh* Must not come online to say bad things about vw, the owners will come out full gun blazing *sheesh*

This is the best time to buy VWs! I will definitely buy a vw if i change my car.

Bro, I assume you are joking with me and you don't recommend me to buy it now.
  • Praise 1

(edited)

just avoid anything that is AMT (any variants of automated manual tranny) for time being, be it Japanese or European. It has never had a good reputation, if your priority is low maintenance and superb reliability.

Edited by Kangadrool

Hypersonic

I think the salesman is correct. The problem has gone now. You should buy it!

Either you are using reverse psychology or you must be really afraid VW owners here come and soot you...hahaha.

Bro it's all salesman talk. I do that all the time. Lol.

Hahaha, take one to know one eh.