Is wise to buy a new 2015 Jetta now

redkenken

Have the pre-FL 2012 Jetta at home.. very un-conti. The doors are light, door panels feel hollow.. hard plastic, not even soft touch like the previous gen.

Exterior is handsome and safe, not striking. Performance is more than adequate for everyday city driving, brisk acceleration which is much better than any 1.5/1.6L NA Jap setup, very good FC too. Only thing is the dreaded 7speed DSG. Still problematic.. even in the latest Golf.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Asian makes thus far are not as good as European makes in terms of drive, safety and comfort but this is subjective. Personally, I've owned and driven Toyota Corolla (E120), Honda Civic (FD1) and now Mercedes. Having test driven a number of cars (VW, Mazda, Audi, BMW) before I bought my car, I'll never go back to Japanese again honestly. The continental drive is something Asian makes cannot replicate for now which is a deciding factor for me. Probably the Inifiniti and Lexus can contend but to me the choice is obvious if I can afford that same amount.

Of course you can't compare a civic to MBC class? I don't think a good Jap is any worse than your bnb conti even a luxury marque like MB, in terms of safety and drive. Eg. Mz 6 drive is as good as a fwd audi. Your perception may stem from a preference for rwd and lack of TC jap. In terms of safety, there's really no difference unless you are looking at electronics safety features like auto braking. In terms of features, Mz 6 packs a bunch. Some bnb Audi and vw don't even have keyless feature.

If one looks beyond the badge, I will get a good jap instead of a bnb conti. Just my subjective thoughts.

Edited by Falc
  • Praise 2

Of course you can't compare a civic to MBC class? I don't think a good Jap is any worse than your bnb conti even a luxury marque like MB, in terms of safety and drive. Eg. Mz 6 drive is as good as a fwd audi. Your perception may stem from a preference for rwd and lack of TC jap. In terms of safety, there's really no difference unless you are looking at electronics safety features like auto braking. In terms of features, Mz 6 packs a bunch. Some bnb Audi and vw don't even have keyless feature.

If one looks beyond the badge, I will get a good jap instead of a bnb conti. Just my subjective thoughts.

If you let people choose between new Mazda 6 2.0NA vs Audi A3 sedan 1.4TSI, I still think more will choose the Audi.. In Singapore, face value very important [furious]

(edited)

If you let people choose between new Mazda 6 2.0NA vs Audi A3 sedan 1.4TSI, I still think more will choose the Audi.. In Singapore, face value very important [furious]

He he you leh? :) aren't there many posts stating who and who know who and who super rich but drive Toyota? Edited by Falc

He he you leh? :) aren't there many posts stating who and who know who and who super rich but drive Toyota?

Eh.. everyone buy car using different criteria. Interior design, layout and materials matter a lot to me.. so between Mz6 and Audi A3, the A3 will win. But I might have a 3rd choice la.. Mercedes Benz CLA250 or BMW 428i merely for its design & engine performance.

Badge not so important to me. Another important criteria is handsome outlook.. the Mz6 is very strong in this. But I am not 30 yet so I'll drop the Mz6 as quite a few family man or uncles are driving it. Also, the Mz6, while its Skyactive tech is quite okay, still not frugal enough as well as brisk when compared to continental brands' offering with smaller engine + small turbo.

Some people focus on badge only.. so as long as they can buy the cheapest make of a conti marque, enough liao job done.. like the 316i which is unique in certain markets only, SG being one of them.

This thread very atas!

Some people feel :

Conti = super.

I am happy with my 2 japs. workhorse. serve me, and not the other way round.

Eh.. everyone buy car using different criteria. Interior design, layout and materials matter a lot to me.. so between Mz6 and Audi A3, the A3 will win. But I might have a 3rd choice la.. Mercedes Benz CLA250 or BMW 428i merely for its design & engine performance.

Badge not so important to me. Another important criteria is handsome outlook.. the Mz6 is very strong in this. But I am not 30 yet so I'll drop the Mz6 as quite a few family man or uncles are driving it. Also, the Mz6, while its Skyactive tech is quite okay, still not frugal enough as well as brisk when compared to continental brands' offering with smaller engine + small turbo.

Some people focus on badge only.. so as long as they can buy the cheapest make of a conti marque, enough liao job done.. like the 316i which is unique in certain markets only, SG being one of them.

How about the new civic type r for the young at heart

How about the new civic type r for the young at heart

Nah.. too ah beng for me. I prefer cruiser.. like Porsche Cayman, some luxury and performance mixed together. Type R is too raw for me.

I'm not really trying to compare. It's just one of the bros mentioned asian makes are as good as european ones which I disagree. Of course they are not worse than any bnb conti, it's just there're reasons for the premium paid for the MB.

Honestly my civic was a damn good one because it lasted me 370,000km and the engine never did once died on me. I would have bought another civic cos of a good experience with it but the current gen one really didn't entice me.

Majority of the bnb japanese cars their body chassis is rather light as compared to continental makes. I think the solid framework of european makes appeal more to me at this point of time. Most of the japanese bnbs come with 2 airbags as compared to 6 for all the continental makes.

Anyway, to each its own. No one single opinion is correct.

Turbocharged

Chevrolet as a marque is from USA, they are part of General Motors. But their passenger cars are actually engineered by GM Korea... formerly known as Daewoo.

So all the Chevrolet family cars that are not Camaro or Corvette are all actually Korean engineered and built.

that what i meant.... some pple tell me chevolet is american muscle... dun believe me when i said its Daewoo, maker of the lousiest car i ever driven ;p

• Praise 1

I got junior colleague who earns less than me, he drives a new Mazda 6.. For me, cost is a major factor.. So I just buy a Hyundai.

I got junior colleague who earns less than me, he drives a new Mazda 6.. For me, cost is a major factor.. So I just buy a Hyundai.

Hyundai may be more affordable but reliability is not as good as jap cars

Turbocharged

Can I ask for upsize to 2.5 mz6? I will take it anytime over Audi a3.... Hehehe...

Can I ask for upsize to 2.5 mz6? I will take it anytime over Audi a3.... Hehehe...

I actually feel the Mz 6 2.0 drives better or more sporty (rev happy) than the 2.5.

Wah if less than 30yo also find the new CTR beng (actually i share the same sentiments lol) , how to sell ...

CLA can never handle and drive like a BMW. Please look at C250 with airmatic instead.

I'm not really trying to compare. It's just one of the bros mentioned asian makes are as good as european ones which I disagree. Of course they are not worse than any bnb conti, it's just there're reasons for the premium paid for the MB.

Honestly my civic was a damn good one because it lasted me 370,000km and the engine never did once died on me. I would have bought another civic cos of a good experience with it but the current gen one really didn't entice me.

Majority of the bnb japanese cars their body chassis is rather light as compared to continental makes. I think the solid framework of european makes appeal more to me at this point of time. Most of the japanese bnbs come with 2 airbags as compared to 6 for all the continental makes.

Anyway, to each its own. No one single opinion is correct.

Unfortunately the sales (I met) at C&C think that the premium paid for MB goes solely to the brand only. The sales is more interested to tell me how great the badge is instead of how good the car is physically.

I appreciate your balance comments. If i may point out that light body is what the European makers are shooting for because it improves mileage and CO2 emission. Look at the weight of the new A4, 3 series and C class and compare to the much heavier Q50 which has not employed expensive chassis technologies.

Airbags-wise, if it is a Cat B Jap car, should have at least >4?

Hyundai may be more affordable but reliability is not as good as jap cars

That's the old days... Had checked with several colleagues and neighbours who had good experience with their rides. Most of them are already in their 8th and 9th year.. So ya lah, it's good that the general public deems that korean cars are not reliable so Komoco will have to sell them cheaper.

After driving a thaiyota from Thailand and Hyundai from Korea, I will pick the latter.

Wah if less than 30yo also find the new CTR beng (actually i share the same sentiments lol) , how to sell ...

CLA can never handle and drive like a BMW. Please look at C250 with airmatic instead.

Honda has got nothing in its current line up that interests me at all.. plus its "premium" pricing in SG. If I were to be looking for a Japanese car, I'd seek out Mazda first. For its bold, striking design.

↡ Advertisement