Singapore No. 1 in Education

Spring

(edited)

Life is short.So for me happiness is most important.When i was given a place in NUS 20 yrs ago,only about 20% of cohort able to get into local university.Now is 40-50%.So it's a bad rat race.

If you are into Medicine,Dentistry,Law,Pharmacy then of course get that degree as early as possible.For some other fields there are other routes.

And in life many roads lead to success.All you have to do is excel in it.

Indeed, there are many ways to happiness and having a degree or an MBA is no guarantee to that.

Many now knows that

Yet we see many continue to strive in their educaton and we shouldn't fault them for getting in the paper chase fry.

That aside, this PISA ranking is not about Degree or MBA.

But FT fake degree trumps Singaporean real degree liao...

FYI, India had withdrew from the OECD education survey since 2012.

I guess we know why now.

Edited by Wishcumstrue
↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

Well said bro! I have the same thinking as well that we are like programmed robots. Good workers but not many leaders and even fewer entrepreneurs. I know this well cos I'm also cut from the same cloth :D

Agreed.

We need education to make us become entrepreneurs and not a "Yes" man ...

We need to ask more "Why" and "How" .... Then, we can have a nation of thinkers and entrepreneurs and this will create more businesses ...

• Praise 1

A true education is not just about teaching students to give the right answers.

A true education is about teaching them to ask the right questions.

Sadly, in Singapore, asking any kind of deeply probing or meaningful question is frowned upon.

Define "deeply probing or meaningful question" in a 15 years old context.

Supersonic

Define "deeply probing or meaningful question" in a 15 years old context.

Many of our 15 year olds might surprise you with their maturity and insight... till the stars are wiped from their eyes by the system.

Turbocharged

A true education is not just about teaching students to give the right answers.

A true education is about teaching them to ask the right questions.

Sadly, in Singapore, asking any kind of deeply probing or meaningful question is frowned upon.

That's why I love you brudder :wub:

The American system teaches students to think and solve problems whereas the local system is a brute force methodology where students are forced fed 10 years series with questions that are similar so much that they freeze and are unable to think when the question challenges them to think just a bit more. Should we blame the Cambridge syllabus then? Those lazy bastids [laugh]

... asking any kind of deeply probing or meaningful question is frowned upon.

But by the way you do love my deep probing very much :D

• Praise 1

Many of our 15 year olds might surprise you with their maturity and insight... till the stars are wiped from their eyes by the system.

Good to know that...and that speaks well for our next gen upbrings and education system they had benefit from.

I am curious why you seems to imply otherwise in your previois statmeent about Singapore"frowned upon" such "maturity and insight" that you had observed ?

the gifted ones really do have quality of what you mentioned, i was brain drained talking to one of a close relatives (14 yrs old), beside trying to understand her, I admit i can't hold up to that kind of conversation for long, she said she is not the smartest in her class [sweatdrop]

maybe Amos was like that [sweatdrop]

Indeed, there are many ways to happiness and having a degree or an MBA is no guarantee to that.

Many now knows that

Yet we see many continue to strive in their educaton and we shouldn't fault them for getting in the paper chase fry.

FYI, India had withdrew from the OECD education survey since 2012.

I guess we know why now.

No worries they can get high paying jobs in singapore

the gifted ones really do have quality of what you mentioned, i was brain drained talking to one of a close relatives (14 yrs old), beside trying to understand her, I admit i can't hold up to that kind of conversation for long, maybe Amos was like that [sweatdrop]

Some 14/15 years old can be vocal, some may not.

But no one can predict what they will become once they reach adulthood and join the working worlds.

There are lots of smart people, and have become too "smart" for their own good.

Amos,who btw quits school and openly mocks the school system, had told many lies in his England-English. How many lies are you willing to listen before deciding his entertainment is over when as he ages ?

Singapore voted no. 1 in Education worldwide which helps propel us to be first world country.

Whilst I won't deny this is true, I'm just wondering what price we pay for achieving this.

Pressure on our children at a young age, streaming ie segregating the children by their results, book smart children etc. Interested to know what do you guys feel, worth it? Perhaps.......

this is the result of parents' S$1.2million poured into 3rd party or tuition classes on the students!!!

you think its MOE or this country's education system that draw this result......

it may be right in the early 90s, NOT anymore now!

the f$%k&^%g education systems applied in primary school nowadays is utter BS! whereby all topics are taught at 70%, and expect primary school kids to do research and analysis into that other 30% that will become test questions !!!

school management's focus is to excel their school's reputations thru' ECAs, popularities and politics within!

staffs spent most of the time in administrations, politics game and left with 30% in real teachings!

this is our education system nowadays!

and the ministers blaming its parents' mindset that spent on tuitions, in the hope that more failures from poor families to fill up the others non main streams colleges and schools! this facilitates more 'counsellors' jobs and similar $ spent by the MCYCs so as to build these portfolios for the ministers . . .

what a sham.

this is the result of parents' S$1.2million poured into 3rd party or tuition classes on the students!!!

you think its MOE or this country's education system that draw this result......

it may be right in the early 90s, NOT anymore now!

the f$%k&^%g education systems applied in primary school nowadays is utter BS! whereby all topics are taught at 70%, and expect primary school kids to do research and analysis into that other 30% that will become test questions !!!

school management's focus is to excel their school's reputations thru' ECAs, popularities and politics within!

staffs spent most of the time in administrations, politics game and left with 30% in real teachings!

this is our education system nowadays!

and the ministers blaming its parents' mindset that spent on tuitions, in the hope that more failures from poor families to fill up the others non main streams colleges and schools! this facilitates more 'counsellors' jobs and similar $ spent by the MCYCs so as to build these portfolios for the ministers . . .

what a sham.

Like I had sugguested earlier, those who has problem with Singapore's education system are welcome to enrole their children to alternative "sham~less" school in Malaysia, and even local interational ones. [rolleyes]

(edited)

Many now knows that

You are right.I often too lazy to read too thorough.Laziness gives you time to rest,rethink then carry on.Sometime diligence is not productive. [:p]

You are a teacher? [:p]

Edited by Gitanic

Turbocharged

Agreed.

We need education to make us become entrepreneurs and not a "Yes" man ...

We need to ask more "Why" and "How" .... Then, we can have a nation of thinkers and entrepreneurs and this will create more businesses ...

Every one will go why?? How??? Then how?? Why?? And no one do a single job.

No worries they can get high paying jobs in singapore

I do not think a high paying job is a guarantee nor the only measure of "happiness" which Gitanic had touched on.

It all depends if one prefer to constantly learn and adapt to the ever changing University of Life...

..OR continue to whine about how life sucks until on death bed.

Choice is yours.

You are right.I often too lazy to read too thorough.Laziness gives you time to rest,rethink then carry on.Sometime diligence is not productive. [:p]

You are a teacher? [:p]

You are partly correct - Laziness or sloth as certain value when comes to learning.

Newton wouldn't had his Law of Gravity if not for lazing under an apple tree nor would Archimedes' Principle invented without that ancient Greek guy taking a long bath in an over-filled tub.

As Lao Tze (老子) once said.."do nothing in order to achieve more".

Now whether you take the Taoist philosopher literally is another matter.

Point is all the above characters were always curious, always thinking, learning something..even when lazying around.

I am not teacher but a forever student of Life.

(edited)

There are many misconceptions in our education system.

It seems to us that our education system is a rigid and structured process without room for any creativity or experimentation. Perhaps it did not help that the press only prints news related to academic achievements by Singapore.

As a system, it uses the big idea that we should tailor the pace of learning according to the readiness of the students. Without streaming, many more students will drop out from the system before completing a minimum 10-year education.

Once you have completed your primary school education, you have options ranging from IP, IB, 'O' Level, etc. In term of talent and passion, many schools offer niche or distinct programmes from Arts to Robotics.

The Direct School Admission Exercise allows students with talent in an particular to enter a school without the consideration of their academic strengths. This means, a national swimmer can enter RI or HCI even though he may not qualify if the criteria is purely on academics.

Not known to many is that students have been winning competitions abroad and I don't mean Science or Mathematics Olympiads. They have done well for competitions like Odyssey of the Mind, in robotics where presentation skills, critical thinking and creative thinking is paramount to doing well.

The most acclaimed finland education once mentioned in an documentary that they have been doing well in providing an inclusive education for all but are struggling to stretch their brilliant minds. They reckon that they may need to turn to Singapore on clues on how to stretch the high ability students.

Do you still think that Singapore can only produce bookworms?

Edited by Pioneer
↡ Advertisement