Which brand of tyres for my Estima?

Extremme

Hi,

I am thinking of changing my tyres on my Estima. Current I am using Dunlop (225/50R18) but few months back it hit a nail so I am contemplating to change it soon. The current model as I have checked with many shops are hard to replace (ie such models are not common in the marketl) so it's best to change all 4.

I have been reading that certain brands have their pros and cons. In my previous ride which is a Toyota Wish from BM, I used to always use Yokohama (stock).

I am not into tyres so basically safety is the top prority and I do travel to Malaysia quite abit with my family. Any brand of tyres to be recommended for safety and fuel efficency?

Thks.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

225/50R18 is indeed a rather odd size.

Is this the OEM size?

I dont think so. The tyres shops said they are not sure why Toyota came up with such odd size and many Estima (2014 model) owners have been facing this problem of finding this kind of size.

Turbocharged
(edited)

I dont think so. The tyres shops said they are not sure why Toyota came up with such odd size and many Estima (2014 model) owners have been facing this problem of finding this kind of size.

Could you please check your driver's side lower B pillar to confirm the OEM tire size?

From Borneo Motor's website, the OEM size is 215/55R17, not even 18 inch.

post-29546-0-82392600-1431824248_thumb.jpg

Edited by Doppel
  • Praise 2

Could you please check your driver's side lower B pillar to confirm the OEM tire size?

From Borneo Motor's website, the OEM size is 215/55R17, not even 18 inch.

Mine is a Estima by PI. The ones by BM Are Previa so I guessed that is the difference.

Hi,

I am thinking of changing my tyres on my Estima. Current I am using Dunlop (225/50R18) but few months back it hit a nail so I am contemplating to change it soon. The current model as I have checked with many shops are hard to replace (ie such models are not common in the marketl) so it's best to change all 4.

I have been reading that certain brands have their pros and cons. In my previous ride which is a Toyota Wish from BM, I used to always use Yokohama (stock).

I am not into tyres so basically safety is the top prority and I do travel to Malaysia quite abit with my family. Any brand of tyres to be recommended for safety and fuel efficency?

Thks.

first of all you are lucky that PI given you better option 18inch wheel & tyre (higher value) this tyre size 225/50/18 is rather not very common here. but still available with limited choice.

many do not know PI and Boneo car carried diff spec technically.

If your concerned Safety / fuel economy (check your driver door pillar for more tyre info)

if tyre size 215/55/17 is stated you can switch to 215/55/17 with good Quality rim and Premium tyre you will get your need (not want)

If you stick with your current rim (presumed is OE from JPN) stay only with 225/50/18 BEST

Don't switch to 235/50/18 if possible

(edited)

first of all you are lucky that PI given you better option 18inch wheel & tyre (higher value) this tyre size 225/50/18 is rather not very common here. but still available with limited choice.

many do not know PI and Boneo car carried diff spec technically.

If your concerned Safety / fuel economy (check your driver door pillar for more tyre info)

if tyre size 215/55/17 is stated you can switch to 215/55/17 with good Quality rim and Premium tyre you will get your need (not want)

If you stick with your current rim (presumed is OE from JPN) stay only with 225/50/18 BEST

Don't switch to 235/50/18 if possible

So if I dont want to change rim then I have to stick to 225 as recommended? But if I want to change to 215/55/17, I will have to change all 4 tyres plus the rim [smallcry] [smallcry]

DSC_0027.jpg

Edited by Extremme

225/50 R18 there is Michelin Pilot Super Sport available.

I cannot seem to find it on the Michelin website Singapore.

Yes Extremme

since the label shown the tyre sizes your car can accept (approved by Toyota Motor)

you can use all 3 sizes preapproved by Toyota

You will enjoy the comfort on 215/60/16

215/55/17 will btw 2.

only setback is you need to replace the rim to 16 or 17 inch

and these 2 size has plenty of choice in the market

can always call Michelin local Distributor of the 225/50/18 tyre for detail

• Praise 2

(edited)

Yes Extremme

since the label shown the tyre sizes your car can accept (approved by Toyota Motor)

you can use all 3 sizes preapproved by Toyota

You will enjoy the comfort on 215/60/16

215/55/17 will btw 2.

only setback is you need to replace the rim to 16 or 17 inch

and these 2 size has plenty of choice in the market

can always call Michelin local Distributor of the 225/50/18 tyre for detail

Thank you. Contemplating now. Maybe change to 215/55/17 since its in between. I understand bigger rim mean technically better grip but fuel consumption is higher.

Any good brand of tyres? I am always using Yokohama...

Edited by Extremme

Mr.nazerath, 215/60/16 & 215/55/17 got plenty of type of tyre in the market

Is wise to switch to 215/55/17 size now since your car still got long way to go.

just few point to take note :

please go for Quality tyres and rim as you mentioned Safety and Petrol(subjective) is priority

careful when selecting rim that some will tell light weight (I am against this if strength of the rim is in doubt and compromised)MPV is not salon car

If you can get the Original Estima / Alphard will be good otherwise look for something Branded which usually more reliable.

Tyre size already known is 215/55/17 and mentioned many in the market ,again go for reliable brand like your pref yokohama also

bridgestone / Michelin/ Pirelli /continental etc are all [thumbsup]

selecting the want tyre is sometime is really headache .

I suggest you leave it to your regular shop to share with you .

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I am not sure if the 17 inch got good range but the 16inch range is not good at all. note that it is 215 and not 205. I changed recently 16" and the models to choose from really not so good when balanced with freshness of stock. Some more not really performance quality. seems like 17" got better options.

• Praise 3

Is wise to switch to 215/55/17 size now since your car still got long way to go.

just few point to take note :

please go for Quality tyres and rim as you mentioned Safety and Petrol(subjective) is priority

careful when selecting rim that some will tell light weight (I am against this if strength of the rim is in doubt and compromised)MPV is not salon car

If you can get the Original Estima / Alphard will be good otherwise look for something Branded which usually more reliable.

Tyre size already known is 215/55/17 and mentioned many in the market ,again go for reliable brand like your pref yokohama also

bridgestone / Michelin/ Pirelli /continental etc are all [thumbsup]

selecting the want tyre is sometime is really headache .

I suggest you leave it to your regular shop to share with you .

any reviews on - http://www.yhi.com.sg/tyres/yokohama%20/v551