Singapore 50 years after independence-45th St. Gallen Symp

Ender

Hypersonic

Saw someone posted at hardwarezone, think it's worthy to post it here. Tharman as expected is excellent. The 'trampoline' response stunned everyone. I wonder how our PM would fare under such interview.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Saw someone posted at hardwarezone, think it's worthy to post it here. Tharman as expected is excellent. The 'trampoline' response stunned everyone. I wonder how our PM would fare under such interview.

Note the host kept referring to LKY and his perceived "totalitarianism" system of Singapore and yet Tham stood his ground and clearly placed across how our GRC and housing policies actually works in favour of our diversity.

You can see the obvious class of culture and values between the East and the West.

All these comes less than 2 months after LKY passing - Many may now realise how incrediblily challenging it was for our pioneer generation and Singapore's leadership in 1965.

• Praise 1

Note the host kept referring to LKY and his perceived "totalitarianism" system of Singapore and yet Tham stood his ground and clearly placed across how our GRC and housing policies actually works in favour of our diversity.

And he backed it up with examples of UK and other parts of the world were doing things and how they had fared.

[thumbsup] My respect for him goes up every time I hear him speak (even though I only followed his budget speeches for two years or so).. He's a guy with a sharp mind...

• Praise 1

(edited)

Meritrocacy?

Then how come he is not our PM instead.

😆😁

You know, this is the same stupid question posted by the Host, Mr Sackur, who commented “Lee Kuan Yew’s family will always be in charge..

This is how Mr Tharman replied:

No, I think that will be most unusual. It’s a meritocracy.

It will be most unusual if that was the case. Certainly, it’s not the way in which – I can’t speak on behalf of them – it’s not the way most Singaporeans would expect it to be. And certainly, you wouldn’t want it to be a situation like…

I mean to be frank, if you look at parliamentarians below the age of 30 in India, every single one of them is a member of a political dynasty. Every single one of them. So, we believe in meritocracy, it’s hard work, sometimes it’s imperfect. There’s always advantage in family connections and wealth but we got to keep working against that.

On hearing the above, Mr Sackur can only nodded silently in agreement.

So in a sense, whether or not Mr Tharman or any one else be ready to be the next PM will still be determinted by his or her experience and capability in as as full fleged minister and getting a concensus from within the Cabinet

And as for past reference, usually the candidate must have at least have portfolia in the Mindef, MAS and deputy PM.

Edited by Wishcumstrue

Turbocharged

This is how Mr Tharman replied:

I mean to be frank, if you look at parliamentarians below the age of 30 in India, every single one of them is a member of a political dynasty. Every single one of them. So, we believe in meritocracy, it’s hard work, sometimes it’s imperfect. There’s always advantage in family connections and wealth but we got to keep working against that.

India's case is special. remember it is a caste system.

sure dynasties appear everywhere, but using India's political dynasty is to miss the point that many people in india are not getting good education, a great social leveler, and as well as the cultural caste system which locks people out of certain professions. meritocracy is non-existent if that is so.

And the last line that we got to keep working against that? has he looked at the list of PSC scholarships awarded? only 50% on average goes to a HDB heart lander..

Didn't he say more than 80% of the population are staying in HDB? even from low, middle and high income stay in HDB. so by proportion, the PSC scholarships should be overwhelmingly from HDB dwellers. But the stats are 50-50.

And why look at parliamentarians under 30 in India? why not talk about how many of them are family related? or is that too close to home?

Supersonic

India's case is special. remember it is a caste system.

sure dynasties appear everywhere, but using India's political dynasty is to miss the point that many people in india are not getting good education, a great social leveler, and as well as the cultural caste system which locks people out of certain professions. meritocracy is non-existent if that is so.

And the last line that we got to keep working against that? has he looked at the list of PSC scholarships awarded? only 50% on average goes to a HDB heart lander..

Didn't he say more than 80% of the population are staying in HDB? even from low, middle and high income stay in HDB. so by proportion, the PSC scholarships should be overwhelmingly from HDB dwellers. But the stats are 50-50.

And why look at parliamentarians under 30 in India? why not talk about how many of them are family related? or is that too close to home?

Whether you like it or not, the answer is eugenics. Smart people tend to smart children.

In short, in Singapore we make our own rules. For better or for worse, we only can watch the consequences.

It is always difficult to change despite the fact that change is the only constant.

I view it this way, like when I handle my children, I let them make their own decision with the facts and advice frankly placed in front of them. At the end of the process, they made their own decision. When the outcome is not what they expect. They generally accept the consequences quietly. Next time when they make decisions, they intuitively seek our advice.

In Singapore, decisions (policies) are often made unilaterally. But times have changed. Population are more educated and are more well off financially. So they aspire for higher things including the right to make decision and the right to make mistake.

We need to cater to the younger generation and their aspirations, we cannot use the last 50years method to govern the younger generation and using the last 50years method without modifying would lead to many unpleasant events: division among the population, rebellious youths and so on.

Twincharged

even under heavily controlled environment, LHL has been the most gaff prone PM.

mee siam mai hum

buy over people

fix opposition

he couldnt handle JBJ either in a straight debate.

no doubt tharman is much better and faster on his feet.

compare him to the very heavy SAF general clique in cabinet now.. what does that say about 'talent selection" ? its worrying what kind of leadership is coming up....

Turbocharged

Whether you like it or not, the answer is eugenics. Smart people tend to smart children.

That's a very heavily qualified "tend to" my friend.

nature and nurture..believe me when I say nature always has a way.

within families, although I am quite sure there is no such think as an intelligence gene. implicit knowledge may be socially imbued, whilst explicit knowledge can be gleaned from self study.

The factors of success improves dramatically with guidance and exemplary role models to emulate.

Smart people do not leave it to chance when their off-springs' odds of success can be improved by trimming life branches that are dead ends and inculcating a value for hard work. (although that has a tendency to breed rebellious off-springs and nerds) :ph34r:

Hypersonic

Tharman speaks very well when it comes to these type of stuff.

But I think he's less suitable in the LHL role. He hardly ever speaks about Singapore politics or social issues despite being the dpm. Maybe he's less comfortable or rather let the other ministers do that role.

He's a very smart man who conveys his ideas very well. Always impressed when he speaks about our national economic issues

↡ Advertisement