Warning: defective baby fan

Ysc3

Twincharged

bought this unbranded fan at $6.50 at the Expo Baby Fair last month ... was sold by a exhibitor who took up a lot of space selling prams and beds and carriers. ... sorry dunno the name liow... they just put a few tens of these fans(in boxes) inside a push trolley.

on the poster label they say its " USB FAN" ... but turn out no USB port, only can use batteries.

that is ok ... I can still accept.

the first night I tried it out and placed 2 batteries inside and it worked. However, when my wife wanted to use it a few days later, it could not work.

so I changed the batteries and it worked again.

however, only after a few hours the fan stopped again - but we only 'on' it for lesser than 10 mins !!

so at night I got home and opened up the battery compartment and was shocked when I saw that the batteries had already melted and water leaked from the batteries !!

@^^^@#$^@#!@ jialat man ... how can they sell these kind of stuffs , esp when for baby use ... if nobody watching and the thing burn how ?? I am really surprised that big shop sell such dangerous stuffs.

post-2854-0-78233100-1432098251_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged
(edited)

bought this unbranded fan at $6.50 at the Expo Baby Fair last month ... was sold by a exhibitor who took up a lot of space selling prams and beds and carriers. ... sorry dunno the name liow... they just put a few tens of these fans(in boxes) inside a push trolley.

on the poster label they say its " USB FAN" ... but turn out no USB port, only can use batteries.

the first night I tried it out and placed 2 batteries inside and it worked. However, when my wife wanted to use it a few days later, it could not work.

however, only after a few hours the fan stopped again - but we only 'on' it for lesser than 10 mins !!

so at night I got home and opened up the battery compartment and was shocked when I saw that the batteries had already melted and water leaked from the batteries !!

@^^^@#$^@#!@ jialat man ... how can they sell these kind of stuffs , esp when for baby use ... if nobody watching and the thing burn how ?? I am really surprised that big shop sell such dangerous stuffs.

I got this exact fan for my kid's pram.

No problems leh, use for 1 year + liao.

You must have gotten a defect with a shortcircuit.

what batteries you use? I use energizer alkalines.

And for my case I bought it knowing it's not a USB fan.

Edited by Pocus

Hypersonic

I have this type of fan, for a few years liao.. no problem. I think all this china made stuff the QC is not that good. Think I'm lucky to have onw working for years.

Hypersonic

This fan very common right. Lol think almost every baby in SG has used before.

Anyway no harm done. Such low voltage device doubt can catch fire easily.

Lol i thought this was a thread abt baby putting their hands/fingers into the fan lol.

I use this type of fan for 3 years already. No problem at all. Got 2 even because the first one my baby tear the blade and throw away.

Battery melt and water leak? What brand battery you using, and how old are the batteries?

Hypersonic
(edited)

I think i's possible a defective product, as TS has changed the batteries 3 times, and each time the power was drained fast, the the last one actually melted. Something in the circuitry is shorted, thus drawing high current.

Think it's a isolated case, as most of us has been using these fan for years.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 2

Supercharged

This fan very common right. Lol think almost every baby in SG has used before.

Anyway no harm done. Such low voltage device doubt can catch fire easily.

Lol i thought this was a thread abt baby putting their hands/fingers into the fan lol.

Though not related to topic..

since we're at battery, you guys may want to take note keep 9V batteries away from steel wool.. not impossible to start fire hor!!

I use panda fan, $20 each.

Last known location which sells this fan had closed down.

Reviews:- stronger wind, safer as child's fingers cannot go thru the grill.

First fan use for 3 months and motor died when change newly charged rechargeable batteries.

2nd fan works well but forgotten how long before it got lost somewhere.

post-61679-0-07166400-1432106408.png

Twincharged
(edited)

I used alkaline batteries the first time ... drained completely overnight +-.

second time , I used fresh from the pack normal batteries.

both self-drained.

well, maybe I was really unlucky to get a "lemon",

anyway, went Chinatown point on Sunday and went to the baby product shop at the basement level and bought a real USB fan(cannot use batteries) with cage and much stronger wind... $20 ... can turn left and right also.

Edited by Ysc3

I used alkaline batteries the first time ... drained completely overnight +-.

second time , I used fresh from the pack normal batteries.

both self-drained.

well, maybe I was really unlucky to get a "lemon",

anyway, went Chinatown point on Sunday and went to the baby product shop at the basement level and bought a real USB fan(cannot use batteries) with cage and much stronger wind... $20 ... can turn left and right also.

Were u using the batteries from IKEA? They are known to leak.....

Though not related to topic..

since we're at battery, you guys may want to take note keep 9V batteries away from steel wool.. not impossible to start fire hor!!

One of the many methods bear gyrills use to make fire.