Parking against traffic flow...beware

Supersonic
(edited)

I would believe that having such rule is to ensure that everything is in orderly manner?

some parallel lots are along roads that are quite busy too. if everyone does that, it may causes bad traffic?

Sure, but in some circumstances sticking rigidly to a single rule will increase *dis*order.

Case in point: Coronation Plaza open air CP with coupon day parking, free evening/night parking. All the spaces are on one side of the road which is in the opposite direction of travel to a car coming in. So cars have to go to the cul-de-sac at the end to make a 3-point turn just to come all the way back to park legally. Some drivers don't have the consideration to drive all the way to the cul-de-sac, and instead choose to make their 5 or 6-point turns (not a typo!) with their big cars in the narrow space adjacent to the line of parked cars using the space of residents' driveways to give a little more room to manoeuvre. This sort of thing, along with just cockanathan blur fark drivers who simply occlude the whole road because of indecision lead to frequent logjams.

If people were just allowed to swing in smoothly to slot into the parallel parking spaces without having to reverse the direction of travel, all this could be avoided. In fact, some drivers park exactly this way, but they're exposing themselves to a fine (I think they may not even be aware of this dumb law).

I am not against having a general rule that applies 90% of the time. I am against the inflexibility and rigidity that seems so prevalent in this FINE country during the remaining 10% of the time. Since everyone seems to be deathly afraid of the law, and since our wardens seem to have no discretion in their enforcement (a questionable assertion since the topic of them winking at illegal parking next to certain places of worship has been brought up here before, but I won't go there), I think the gahmen should just make things simple and legally allow (with proper signage directing drivers) bidirectional parking along a single designated side of a narrow road.

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

You heng liao.

If TP comes along, you get another ticket for driving in the wrong direction.

Dont count the hits and ignor the misses......... [grin]

Anyway. Thank you for contributing to Nation Building. [laugh]

Hi all bros,

Here something to ponder...

Went to Serangoon area for breakfast and manage to get a parking space along a two way street.

I park my car against the traffic flow and place a valid parking coupon accordingly and happily went to nearby hawker center for Indian dosai..

When back half an hour later and found a parking slip on the car front windscreen.Looking at my watch,still have about 20mins remaining.

So pick up the slip and the offence was "parking against traffic flow" and kena fine $50....first time aware of such offence :wacko::wacko: so next time park your car follow traffic flow :a-m1524::a-m1524:

Edited by Hiphiphoray

Hi all bros,

Went to Serangoon area for breakfast and manage to get a parking space along a two way street.

I park my car against the traffic flow and place a valid parking coupon accordingly and happily went to nearby hawker center for Indian dosai..

When back half an hour later and found a parking slip on the car front windscreen.Looking at my watch,still have about 20mins remaining.

So pick up the slip and the offence was "parking against traffic flow" and kena fine $50....first time aware of such offence :wacko::wacko: so next time park your car follow traffic flow :a-m1524::a-m1524:

You didn't know? Happens alot in town area.

Supersonic

If complain enough about the 5,7-pint turns, LTA might just remove all the lots and paint double yellow line!

Let them. That will just convince me even more that the gahmen are the main problem here, and almost never the solution.

Sure, but in some circumstances sticking rigidly to a single rule will increase *dis*order.

Case in point: Coronation Plaza open air CP with coupon day parking, free evening/night parking. All the spaces are on one side of the road which is in the opposite direction of travel to a car coming in. So cars have to go to the cul-de-sac at the end to make a 3-point turn just to come all the way back to park legally. Some drivers don't have the consideration to drive all the way to the cul-de-sac, and instead choose to make their 5 or 6-point turns (not a typo!) with their big cars in the narrow space adjacent to the line of parked cars using the space of residents' driveways to give a little more room to manoeuvre. This sort of thing, along with just cockanathan blur fark drivers who simply occlude the whole road because of indecision lead to frequent logjams.

If people were just allowed to swing in smoothly to slot into the parallel parking spaces without having to reverse the direction of travel, all this could be avoided. In fact, some drivers park exactly this way, but they're exposing themselves to a fine (I think they may not even be aware of this dumb law).

I am not against having a general rule that applies 90% of the time. I am against the inflexibility and rigidity that seems so prevalent in this FINE country during the remaining 10% of the time. Since everyone seems to be deathly afraid of the law, and since our wardens seem to have no discretion in their enforcement (a questionable assertion since the topic of them winking at illegal parking next to certain places of worship has been brought up here before, but I won't go there), I think the gahmen should just make things simple and legally allow (with proper signage directing drivers) bidirectional parking along a single designated side of a narrow road.

Sigh. What to do. Our law enforcement has always been, "catch one, catch all".

Supercharged

count ts lucky no tp was around (well when will they ever be around when they should be) when he park or move off from the lot cos he can be slap with another offence driving against the flow of traffic ... don't be lazy next time just made a 3 point turn and park to the flow of the traffic lah..

This is in basic theory leh...

Hi all bros,

Supercharged

U kidding right, unless one never takes his driving license in Spore, one would know that is an offence no different from driving against flow of traffic.

post-8245-0-43542400-1432266280.jpeg

• Praise 2

Supercharged

U kidding right, unless one never takes his driving license in Spore, one would know that is an offence no different from driving against flow of traffic.

thats why i feel a $50 fine is to lenient... such case should also be referred to TP..

These kinds of fines I always feel are never as ridiculous as being fine for forgetting to insert cashcard or cashcard out of value, especially when the IU is not smart enough to prompt you that no cashcard is detected when you start your car. When can SG learn to be like other countries using rfid tags instead? Maybe since satellite tracking is coming hence no need to.

count ts lucky no tp was around (well when will they ever be around when they should be) when he park or move off from the lot cos he can be slap with another offence driving against the flow of traffic ... don't be lazy next time just made a 3 point turn and park to the flow of the traffic lah..

Some roads have only 2 lanes and got cars parked on left side. Let's put a camera on such roads to catch all that drive on opposite late to avoid hitting parked cars on one side

Could be a new revenue generator

Turbocharged

These kinds of fines I always feel are never as ridiculous as being fine for forgetting to insert cashcard or cashcard out of value, especially when the IU is not smart enough to prompt you that no cashcard is detected when you start your car. When can SG learn to be like other countries using rfid tags instead? Maybe since satellite tracking is coming hence no need to.

We already have RFID tagging... but only for season parking so the wardens can identify our car... gantries all still rely on the dopey IU, but it can identify IU numbers and recognize season parking... so... :huh:

borrowed time for 16 years now... [:)]

Frankly I'm not sure how all this works. My estate is one of the worst, with cars parked right up to the junction blocking view, at sharp corners, even perpendicular to the road. And patrol cars make regular patrols but no booking.

Do traffic wardens patrol private estates with no roadside parking lots?

a follow-up.. just spotted a traffic warden riding out of my estate. Walking back, I saw plenty of cars parked against the traffic flow. None were booked. I guess this rule is not strictly enforced in private estates...

What's a good excuse for appeal against this? Just got one over the weekend. Frankly, I was not aware that this is an offence.

What's a good excuse for appeal against this? Just got one over the weekend. Frankly, I was not aware that this is an offence.

Say u lau sai, at custom liao. So got lots, just go in. Stuck in the toilet for an hour of releasing. After release liao, felt fainting, cos no fluid or food intake. So went to makan to refill so that you are able to drive. Then while walking to ur car, saw an old auntie carry many many things. You went to offer ur help to carry her stuff home which was 2km away.

When walking 2km back to your car, the sai at custom again. You rush to find toilet and then tio stuck inside for one hour. Legs jelly liao. Went to nearby bench to rest, then you doze off. Suddenly a phone call woke u up, its your mom, ask you go home for dinner.

Finally, you able to get back to your car and spotted the ticket at your car's wiper. [grin]

↡ Advertisement