2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

Not driven XC60 before. But wonder how is the handling compared to FXT in terms of body roll, road/wind noise insulation and highway (nshw) speed stability ?

I have driven the XC60 T6 for awhile.

Test driven the FNA and FXT.

They are really very different, the XC60 is extremely good in terms of road/wind noise insulation. The power is on tap , you don't feel the turbo lag at all. The car is big but you won't notice the size from the driver's seat. Very easy to flick the car into corners.

Cruising at 180-200km/hr is extremely comfortable and feel very stable.

Body roll is very controlled and it rolls over humps and speed strips so smoothly that your baby could sleep soundly behind.

Try it if you ever have the chance. :)

Collected FXT sometime in end March, free service only included 1K & 10K. Kept hearing about bros here going for 5K service, so question, is 5K service really necessary? At 1K service, MI used Shell Helix Ultra engine oil, so should be good for 10K.

Now at 3.5K and it's running really great, very smooth. If skip 5K, am I missing something? TIA.

If it's synthetic oil then no issue till 11k by right. Yah the new change in service policy. 1k and 10k for new owner. I think MI can't handle the 3 time service. As an increase in forester ownership

They are really very different, the XC60 is extremely good in terms of road/wind noise insulation. The power is on tap , you don't feel the turbo lag at all. The car is big but you won't notice the size from the driver's seat. Very easy to flick the car into corners.

Body roll is very controlled and it rolls over humps and speed strips so smoothly that your baby could sleep soundly behind.

Refinement is something which paper specifications can never quantify, but something which only an owner can experience personally.

I'm on my 2nd XC60 and my next car will most probably be the next model version once my COE runs out. I had test-drove the FXT last year and it's definitely a good car at it's price point, but also obviously a different beast from the XC60 in many respects. 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

If it's synthetic oil then no issue till 11k by right. Yah the new change in service policy. 1k and 10k for new owner. I think MI can't handle the 3 time service. As an increase in forester ownership

A lot of conti brand their 1st servicing are actually at 15k.

With all due respect, methinks cannot use xc60 to compare with forester. whilst both are suv, a comparison between the two would be somewhat "unfair"...pardon for the lack of a better word. Perhaps comparing with cx5, xtrail, crv, tucson expreswsbe more appropriate.   

I tried my elder brother's xc90 (bartley-cck-tamp) before he traded in & subsequently bought his XT early this year. I have tried XT on a few occasions before finally deciding on FNA. The drive on volvo is just different but so is the thinning effect on my wallet...2.5days and I have to top up liao...and how often can I floor given the car population density?

• Praise 1

With all due respect, methinks cannot use xc60 to compare with forester. whilst both are suv, a comparison between the two would be somewhat "unfair"...pardon for the lack of a better word. Perhaps comparing with cx5, xtrail, crv, tucson expreswsbe more appropriate.   

I tried my elder brother's xc90 (bartley-cck-tamp) before he traded in & subsequently bought his XT early this year. I have tried XT on a few occasions before finally deciding on FNA. The drive on volvo is just different but so is the thinning effect on my wallet...2.5days and I have to top up liao...and how often can I floor given the car population density?

it's not whether you can or not. it's only whether you want or not. the roads are not congested 24/7 leh

(edited)

If i may, maybe i can offer 2 sen worth since i hv both 3 yr old xc90 and 1+ yr old FXT at home.

The XC is a different class in NVH. Of course it shld be as it comes at a premium. The ride is plush with AWD but body roll is evident as in all suv. But damn jiak yew though go NSHW is damn shiok. The new XC60 is quite a beauty and thats probably the replacement for my xc90 in another few warrantied years. The current EOL XC60 has above same bodyroll as the FXT. Cant feel much difference when i went for a couple of test drives.

FXT is value for money for its price. On hindsight, i shld hv gotten the FNA instead to save me 15k. FNA is more than ample for city driving in SG. I hv make the FXT more planted with full set of cusco bars and upgraded bbk. Less roll but ride more harsh

Edited by Carhorn
  • Praise 1

Does Volvo still sell the XC60 T6 in Singapore?

Seems like only the T5 is available and even then, it's more than 40-50k difference in price.

With that price difference, I'm sure the better NVH and interior is warranted.

Anyway, I brought up the point about the XC60 earlier mainly because someone was noting that the value of the FXT (esp engine power) can only be compared to something close to 100k more.

If i may, maybe i can offer 2 sen worth since i hv both 3 yr old xc90 and 1+ yr old FXT at home.

The XC is a different class in NVH. Of course it shld be as it comes at a premium. The ride is plush with AWD but body roll is evident as in all suv. But damn jiak yew though go NSHW is damn shiok. The new XC60 is quite a beauty and thats probably the replacement for my xc90 in another few warrantied years. The current EOL XC60 has above same bodyroll as the FXT. Cant feel much difference when i went for a couple of test drives.

FXT is value for money for its price. On hindsight, i shld hv gotten the FNA instead to save me 15k. FNA is more than ample for city driving in SG. I hv make the FXT more planted with full set of cusco bars and upgraded bbk. Less roll but ride more harsh

Actually, for the difference between the FNA and FXT, there are other items to consider on top of the engine.

Am told that the windows are thicker to increase insulation, driver memory seats, the auto tail gate (which some might find handy), larger rims and possibly better head unit. All in all, the 14-15k difference in price isn't too steep considering how much other extras are included.

Actually, for the difference between the FNA and FXT, there are other items to consider on top of the engine.

Am told that the windows are thicker to increase insulation, driver memory seats, the auto tail gate (which some might find handy), larger rims and possibly better head unit. All in all, the 14-15k difference in price isn't too steep considering how much other extras are included.

when u are the one paying for your wife, 14k difference is too steep. [laugh]  so is the insurance.

Think the window glass is similar for FNA and FXT in thickness. In fact, I think the FNA has better NVH due to smaller rims. The engine, electric tailgate, suspension, driver memory seats and slighter bigger brake rotors are the differences.

The HK audio is shit though.

when u are the one paying for your wife, 14k difference is too steep. [laugh]  so is the insurance.

Think the window glass is similar for FNA and FXT in thickness. In fact, I think the FNA has better NVH due to smaller rims. The engine, electric tailgate, suspension, driver memory seats and slighter bigger brake rotors are the differences.

I could have been mis-sold on the window thickness, I can't really verify.  [:)]

Do agree on your other points on the car, including the not very great stereo system (though still better than my 10 year old Jazz).

Actually, I bought the FXT for my wife as well, and she probably appreciates the electric tailgate and memory seats the most.

I chose fna cos I really cannot tahan the rate at which my wallet will thin compared to my receding hairline. I can use the excess to pay for treatment at hair centres and probably the occasional trip to bkk for massage & great food.  

Jokes aside, the xc60 really is in a different league from forester...to make a comparison between the same would be inequitable.   

I chose fna cos I really cannot tahan the rate at which my wallet will thin compared to my receding hairline. I can use the excess to pay for treatment at hair centres and probably the occasional trip to bkk for massage & great food.  

Jokes aside, the xc60 really is in a different league from forester...to make a comparison between the same would be inequitable.   

FNA is more than enuff for moving from Pt A to Pt B. The AWD makes it safer unless one drives in a reckless manner

Hell. in fact, any moving car is good enuff for as a form of transport

Maybe can compare XC60, Range Rover Evoque, BMW X5 or Lexus RX 350?

(edited)

Yes, that would be a more equitable comparison. Although I must concede that I never did hv a chance to try any of the cars mentioned. Closest I got is a rx270 Edited by Feudallordcult

Hypersonic

No. XC60 is same as X3, Q5 or NX200T.

X5 and RX350 is another level already.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2