2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

Oops....hahaha

Interesting. The last time i test drove the xv...i wasnt impressed. Maybe my butt too hard.

Maybe different definition of comfort suspension also.

To me, XV is comfortable because when driven fast over bad roads (e.g. a stretch dug up by PUB contractors and then patched up), you can drive fast over the bad road and you hardly feel anything in the cabin - everything well controlled.

As mentioned in this video at 10.25, where reviewer says "chassis impresses with its compliant ride over the rough stuff"

Also, it helps if watch out for MI service staff over-pumping the tires - usually after a servicing, need to check and if required, let the air out to the correct pressure (also to remember to have lower pressure at the back if not carrying rear passengers much).  Have found that was one cause of why car was so jumpy.  May also be the case for their test car.

↡ Advertisement

Maybe different definition of comfort suspension also.

To me, XV is comfortable because when driven fast over bad roads (e.g. a stretch dug up by PUB contractors and then patched up), you can drive fast over the bad road and you hardly feel anything in the cabin - everything well controlled.

As mentioned in this video at 10.25, where reviewer says "chassis impresses with its compliant ride over the rough stuff"

Also, it helps if watch out for MI service staff over-pumping the tires - usually after a servicing, need to check and if required, let the air out to the correct pressure (also to remember to have lower pressure at the back if not carrying rear passengers much). Have found that was one cause of why car was so jumpy. May also be the case for their test car.

I suspect @Andyngps drive the test drive car which caused the not so good impression.

As we know MI always over pump the tyre by a lot.

Hi Teo,

Haha ... indeed a compromise or opportunity cost somewhere.

No sporty ride for me, stock 225/50/18 and now back to 235/55/18 cpc6 after 235/50/18 scorpion verdes which I think is still not exactly sporty ... 19" or 255/35/19 would be sporty, coilover will be sporty etc. Even Bilstein B6 forup FXT by 10-15 mm and not the usual thinking of lower springs and dampers.

Again, stock to stock, stock FXT is jittery and rolls with resulting less comfy ride as compared to stock qashqai ... period, no more no less, no buts, no justification etc. and please take it from someone who is owning and driving them.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard, consider changing to Cusco Touring A dampers? I feel my ride comfort improved with them.. buay pai at all.. you check with Roy Peh

Anyone know if this is available in SG already?

http://www.bilstein.co.jp/en/experience-bilstein/capdf/sjg_b6.html

Could try to contact this company for enquiry.

Georg Grotjahn (S) Pte Ltd

8 Boon Lay Way 

Tradehub21 . #05-13 

Singapore 609964

M: (65) 9836 4595 

T: (65) 6292 1663 

F: (65) 6292 1009

E: ggc.sgp(at)gmail.com 

W: www.georg-grotjahn.com.sg

• Praise 1

Did 1st 10k service today. Use Motul. Indeed a pleasure. Creamy rev. A thank you to all Forumers that recommend this.

Top up $25 + 5k pts. for Motul instead of the standard SHELL Helix.

Edited by gearStick
  • Praise 1

Richard, consider changing to Cusco Touring A dampers? I feel my ride comfort improved with them.. buay pai at all.. you check with Roy Peh

Hey Chucky,

Tried the cusco coilover, sti set and pink only liao thanks for generosity of bros in whatsapp group and settled for the pink arriving next week from MO of 8 sets from Japan.

Yes, cusco is ok on straight road but going over hump is still clearly shows it is coilover setup that can be hard and harsh ...you have to expect that when getting into coilover and I wish to avoid that.

End of the day, stock qashqai is swee swee compared to stock FXT and only better with bilstein B12 that damps even betta but not hard or harsh at all ..arriving from germany soon while not confident at all that FXT will achieve the comfort level I hope for.

Btw FXT bros, I have both qashqai and FXT and not putting the latter down but just sharing my finding objectively so that potential FXT bros know what to expect and hope to also find solution for myself.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

BE AWARE that tires can be wrongly inflated after servicing at MI. Just when over to petrol station this morning after MI service yesterday.

Inflated to 245 for all tires by MI/TIRE SHOP!!!! WTH

BE AWARE that tires can be wrongly inflated after servicing at MI. Just when over to petrol station this morning after MI service yesterday.

How far away was the petrol station from MI?

Did you drive straight to pump after collecting your car?

Hey Chucky,

Tried the cusco coilover, sti set and pink only liao thanks for generosity of bros in whatsapp group and settled for the pink arriving next week from MO of 8 sets from Japan.

Yes, cusco is ok on straight road but going over hump is still clearly shows it is coilover setup that can be hard and harsh ...you have to expect that when getting into coilover and I wish to avoid that.

End of the day, stock qashqai is swee swee compared to stock FXT and only better with bilstein B12 that damps even betta but not hard or harsh at all ..arriving from germany soon while not confident at all that FXT will achieve the comfort level I hope for.

Btw FXT bros, I have both qashqai and FXT and not putting the latter down but just sharing my finding objectively so that potential FXT bros know what to expect and hope to also find solution for myself.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Richard

How much price difference in pink only between MO and thru Japanparts?

I wasn't in the group chat.. lol

I suspect @Andyngps drive the test drive car which caused the not so good impression.

As we know MI always over pump the tyre by a lot.

Hmm...probably but to be honest i find it hard to compare xv vs fxt in terms of comfort. VS vezel and qashqai probably...imho i find fxt relatively quieter overall since less need for over revving...but no doubt qq is well built for its class.

Hi Richard

How much price difference in pink only between MO and thru Japanparts?

I wasn't in the group chat.. lol

Hi Darren,

Not sure japanparts cos I will never get anything from them. The 8 pink MO bros should be paying around 450 without gst.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Hmm...probably but to be honest i find it hard to compare xv vs fxt in terms of comfort. VS vezel and qashqai probably...imho i find fxt relatively quieter overall since less need for over revving...but no doubt qq is well built for its class.

Hi Andy,

Indeed 1.2l qashqai will be strained and noisy if pushed but once it gets going, it is more composed and quieter ride than the fxt cos of the fxt's jittery suspension and inferior insulation.

PM me and you can try my 2 yrs old 1.2l qashqai with still stock continental tyres at 50k km mileage with only SP of doors for ice and roof to stop tin can effect during rain..keke !

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

How far away was the petrol station from MI?

Did you drive straight to pump after collecting your car?

MI @TP. on Sat.

Pump on Sunday morning.

Yet, all tires' pressure were  @ 245 on Sunday morning. [mad] Recommended is 230/220, rite?

MI @TP. on Sat.

Pump on Sunday morning.

Yet, all tires' pressure were @ 245 on Sunday morning. [mad] Recommended is 230/220, rite?

You can check the recommended tyre pressure range on the driver side door. For my stock 18" tyres on levorg, range is btw 240 to 270, depending on the typical car load. It is very different from my previous car using 15" which was 230 max recommended.

245 ok leh.. mine was inflated to 270 when I collected the car.

Anyway the tyre pressure depends on which tyre model used. Stock dueler400 tyres, 220-240 seems to be ok. My current Michelin I pump 260 front 250r and seems to match dueler400 220-230

Hi Andy,

Indeed 1.2l qashqai will be strained and noisy if pushed but once it gets going, it is more composed and quieter ride than the fxt cos of the fxt's jittery suspension and inferior insulation.

PM me and you can try my 2 yrs old 1.2l qashqai with still stock continental tyres at 50k km mileage with only SP of doors for ice and roof to stop tin can effect during rain..keke !

Cheers.

Richard

Bro. I am surprised on the insulation. I find it quite ok actually. The only sp i did is undercarriage deadening which it seems rather significant when compared to another of my friend's fxt...but i must agree qq insulation is really good conpared to many of its class even when stock. Plus the continental tyres do help. I must say also that fxt can do with bit of door sp. Edited by Andyngps

245 ok leh.. mine was inflated to 270 when I collected the car.

Anyway the tyre pressure depends on which tyre model used. Stock dueler400 tyres, 220-240 seems to be ok. My current Michelin I pump 260 front 250r and seems to match dueler400 220-230

Hi Chucky,

Indeed most ideal but dun think there is any recommendation on pressure by tyre mfgrs for different cars and rhr suspension system is designed based on their recommended pressure regardless of tyres brand/type ... hence betta to start with bro's mentioned tyre pressure on car label on driver's b pillar.

One thing to note though is that the tyre pressure on car label is for cold tyres and if recommended is 230kpa ..240-245kpa is fine when you pull up at the petrol stations. With tpms, one can see that parked car in the morning will be back to around 230kpa.

For the recommended different tyre pressure of 230kpa in front and say 250kpa in rear, it dun make sense to keep adjusting tyre pressure and I just go for 240kpa and pump to 250 kpa at petrol station after running hot for recommended 230kpa.

Cheers.

Richard

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1