2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

Congrats and delivery is fast! NICE.

Clarification on the insurance.. after 50% and it's $1314 or not yet less 50% yet?

1314 is after 50%. Age, marital status and driving experience is the key factors.

↡ Advertisement

1314 is after 50%. Age, marital status and driving experience is the key factors.

I suspect being a Subaru and a turbo has some part to play in the premium as well.

Neutral Newbie

Very very subjective.. haha. chasing audio-nirvana must have deep deep pockets.

IMO, enjoy the XT exhaust better.. that's why you consider the XT right? [laugh]

I've had an XT overtaking me with barely a warble from its exhaust haha. Hvn't test drive yet, only seen it at roadshows. Am currently driving a Lancer GT with Rockford Fosgate sound system so was wondering if the H/K on the XT is better.

if only forester is made using legacy chassis .. will be more spacious..

There is Outback for you if you are looking for bigger space.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

I understand that the face lifted Forester is coming. Price seems steep though, $134,800 for basic version.

Considering it as a true SUV with AWD and 2.0 engine, it's priced pretty right. Please don't lump it with other cheaper models like Vezel, Juke or Qasqhai cos when you look at their specs they are basically normal cars pretending to look like SUVs. That's what the Subaru XV is for.

Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 3

I have the 2.0 XT, the positives:

- Engine performance is in a different league compared to the CRV / CX5 / RAV4 / Qashqai. Stomp down on the accelerator and you'll feel the G forces pressing you into your seat.

- The CVT is also really well implemented, unlike some automatic transmissions where you have a split second lag as it hunts for the right gear. I find the CVT's power to be immediate with no hesitation.

- Grip from the AWD is really noticeable too when exiting the PIE/AYE at 90km/h going up a curved ramp. The car just sticks to the road with confidence.

- Spacious airy interior with great all round visibility in all directions.

The neutral points:

- I average around 9.5km/l in Singapore traffic. This is a real tried and tested figure after 5,000km, not the optimistic figures the showrooms quote. It's no fuel sipper, but much better than previous generation Subarus.

On the downside:

- Road noise is more than I am used to from my Honda Accord (1 generation ago).

- More thought could have been given to interior design. The fit and finish is ok but rather utilitarian and with a bit of rattling too. Wish it would autolock doors if you park the car and leave it for a while. Just not enough attention to detail.

- Suspension is a bit too bouncy. I don't mind firm shocks, but the way it oscillates is annoying. Though this could be changed with a coilover or STI springs.

• Praise 4

(edited)

I agree on your comment

The positives

1. The egine performance is really nice. The pick up speed and torque is one of the best in the SUV class. Almost effortless when the Forester fully pack with passengers/load while going up slope.

2. Good ventilation which kept Engine temperature low and bonnet cool.

3. Hardly notice any changes when switching gear. The lineartronic CVT live up to it reputation and the chain belt should be more robust than the 3rd generation belt drive gear.

4. Good driver view with wide window screen. Give driver a sense of the road situation.

5. Using Petrol Esso 8000 is even smoother and no lag in slow or fast drive.

Neutral points

1. Petrol Esso 5000 is nice drive as well but occassionally lag/knock in slow drive (10-20KM/H)

2. Average 9.2 L/100Km in Singapore traffic. Intersting to see yours at 9.5 KM/L (or should it be L/100KM)

3. Suspension is acceptable compare with Europrean car.

4. Every morning the blue temperature guage will light up. This forester need warming up (15 sec), the light goes away, before driving off.

6. The 18" Brigdstone tyre is slightly noise. Next tyre change should try comfort tyre.

Downside points

1. Driving at > 80KM/h felt a bit of rattling as well, at the rear. Adjusted the boot cover and firmly lock it, the rattling gone for now.

2. Cannot upgrade the 7" audio system with GPS.

3. Side mirrow will not close when the car is lock. Apparently can't tell if the car is lock.

4. The reverse speed is too slow. Need to step on the accelerator.

Conclusion

This Forester met driver need for safe, smooth drive and as well as race (240 HP, 6.8 sec -> 100 KM/H at sport #). Like driving a WRX sport car! For lady driver, it is easy drive and parking. Forester look big and tough but fun to drive.

Edited by ctleo
  • Praise 4

Yes, I am getting 9.5km/l which also means the car's economy reading is showing 10.5L/100km. Some how more used to thinking of it as km/l after all these years.

I'm happy with just pumping 95 octane, which is the minimum recommended for the FXT. Not sure if higher octane will give more power, some people say it's a waste to pump a higher grade than that.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

Ok I took a look at the Forester XT. Summary of my views:

- Huge exterior, masculine look

- quite high for rear passengers to mount up, as high as CX-5. Ford Kuga and Tiguan is lower.

- Spacious interior, bigger than CX-5 definitely.

- Boot size looks the same as Tiguan. Not very big. Ford Kuga still wins in boot space.

- Squarish interior that looks rugged and practical compared to CX5's sleek interior or Kuga's luxurious interior.

- I read people complaining about cheap trims but it's not as bad as I thought.

- Paranomic roof is not as big as competitors, window cover must slide manually instead of electronically controlled.

- metal pedals are very sporty.

- paddler shifters! No stick shift though.

- Full leather seats, not partial unlike some competitors

- comes if a new Harmon Kardon HU with touchscreen function, very nice compared to the older HU in catalogs. But the speakers sounds boxy, perhaps not setup properly as I didn't explore.

- no rear air con vents!

Driving

- normal driving is great! (I came from sports hatch), it's quiet, smooth and not as bumpy as I thought. Definitely baby friendly.

- steering a bit light at slow speed, but gains weight as you speed up for better control.

- handles great for an SUV. Very confident at the corners, awd is one thing, I think the 18" tyres helped in a way.

- switch to sport mode and sport sharp mode. I expected a WRX style acceleration and the feeling of being thrown into the seat but nope, the pull is gradual and not spontaneous enough to throw you to the back of the seat. You still feel the torque pull and the speed climb, and the meter jumps very fast to 120km/h but it's more linear. Maybe it's due to the CVT, perhaps would be better if I switch to manual mode. But keep in mind that it's after all an SUV, not a sports hatch or coupe.

- turning radius is surprising good for a SUV this size.

Other things like maintenance and FC, can't comment based on test drive.

Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 3

- quite high for rear passengers to mount up, as high as CX-5. Ford Kuga and Tiguan is lower.

- Boot size looks the same as Tiguan. Not very big. Ford Kuga still wins in boot space.

- Squarish interior that looks rugged and practical compared to CX5's sleek interior or Kuga's luxurious interior.

- Paranomic roof is not as big as competitors, window cover must slide manually instead of electronically controlled.

- comes if a new Harmon Kardon HU with touchscreen function, very nice compared to the older HU in catalogs. But the speakers sounds boxy, perhaps not setup properly as I didn't explore.

- no rear air con vents!

Driving

- normal driving is great! (I came from sports hatch), it's quiet, smooth and not as bumpy as I thought. Definitely baby friendly.

- steering a bit light at slow speed, but gains weight as you speed up for better control.

- handles great for an SUV. Very confident at the corners, awd is one thing, I think the 18" tyres helped in a way.

- switch to sport mode and sport sharp mode. I expected a WRX style acceleration and the feeling of being thrown into the seat but nope, the pull is gradual and not spontaneous enough to throw you to the back of the seat. You still feel the torque pull and the speed climb, and the meter jumps very fast to 120km/h but it's more linear. Maybe it's due to the CVT, perhaps would be better if I switch to manual mode. But keep in mind that it's after all an SUV, not a sports hatch or coupe.

Sharing. It is comes with Harmon Kardon speakers not the HU as HK does not produce HU :-)

• Praise 1

How's the servicing at MI? Heard from other subaru owners do their servicing outside instead.

The price of the car is reasonable compared to other makes and one of a few MIJ SUV.

Power from the car is very addictive... auto-tailgate is also a nice feature!

• Praise 1

- no rear air con vents!

Driving

I tested Forester XT, X3, XC60, VW Tiguan, Land Rover Discovery, all 2.0T version,

performance wise only, Forester is outstanding, my personal feeling its pickup is equal or above others

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

The latest price for the 2.0XT was around $134k.

Make me relook into this car. I like the performance of this car. No car at similar price and size had the same performance. But the interior design look a bit simple.

As I clock about 30k km a year, so FC is some concern for me. How is the FC for 50/50 driving pattern?

How about the maintenance cost? Never own a Subaru before.

I also heard that insurance is very high for Subaru car. What is the expected insurance with 50% NCD, age above 40yr?

The last obstacle for me may be CO, she don't like this brand.

• Praise 1

went to test both Forester i(Premium) and XT version. Premium is $120k & $133K.

Essentially the main difference is premium version is slightly draggy during pickup, but when up to cruising speed no much difference.

For the 13k difference, I can live with the slight drag during pickup.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1