2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

Just sharing my experience. After driving in the rain on NSHW and Msia B roads at night, esp those stretch without street lights, i found the LED headlights offered poor visibility due to it's whitish light. So i relied on the stock yellowish fog lamps for better visibility and they worked to some extent. I won't get a fog light that's above 5000kelvin cos totally can't see much with whitish light for both headlight and fog lamp.

Hi Orixy,

Indeed the case and if you ever drive up to Genting during foggy nights, even stock halogen fog will not make it.

As such, chameleon or suparee switchable ones are preferred for those who still want white 6000k fog lights .. down to 3500k temp yellow yellow ones great for fogs and rain.

However, this issue is not with stock HID 4300k temp low beam which is more important as many conti cars e.g. even have 6000k or higher temp HID but they are much better in rain cos they are higher lumen output aka lights up more with further throw.

Cheers.

Richard

↡ Advertisement

Just sharing my experience. After driving in the rain on NSHW and Msia B roads at night, esp those stretch without street lights, i found the LED headlights offered poor visibility due to it's whitish light. So i relied on the stock yellowish fog lamps for better visibility and they worked to some extent. I won't get a fog light that's above 5000kelvin cos totally can't see much with whitish light for both headlight and fog lamp.

I am abit surprised. I thought that it's really bright, as they are projector headlamps. In fact, I thought that the fog lights are abit redundant.

Hi James,

Indeed 8.5l/100km or even 7.5l/100km or 13km/l on hwy but not realistic for typical fxt owners unless you are on night shift or driving to work at 6am and leaving office at 11 pm.

Full tank for typical 50/50 for typical driver would be 10km/l or 10l/100km and I had even done 7km/l for a full tank on 100% city driving.

Fxt also cannot be same FC of FNA under comparable driving and trip patterns ... only logical that power is not free and hope bro is not misled by mentioned MI technician who probably does not even own one to know.

At the end, also logical that basic boxer engine without complex european technology and with turbo charging will NOT give subaru class leading FC.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi KC,

Good info ... hence I leave it to BKS to do this since they had done hundreds of subaru .. lol !

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Richard,

haha... Great to have the power of $$$.

Thank you.

Best regards,

K. C.

(edited)

Hi Orixy,

Indeed the case and if you ever drive up to Genting during foggy nights, even stock halogen fog will not make it.

As such, chameleon or suparee switchable ones are preferred for those who still want white 6000k fog lights .. down to 3500k temp yellow yellow ones great for fogs and rain.

However, this issue is not with stock HID 4300k temp low beam which is more important as many conti cars e.g. even have 6000k or higher temp HID but they are much better in rain cos they are higher lumen output aka lights up more with further throw.

Cheers.

Richard

Sorry .. Merc with 5000k temp LED

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mercedes-benz/innovation/let-there-be-light-the-led-headlamps-of-the-future-e-class/

post-149594-0-55906300-1531089824_thumb.png

Edited by richard_crl032

For my FXT, I have been consistently getting 8+L/100km based on total average fuel consumption for an entire tank of petrol.

Hi James,

I am commenting on your above statement that:

- it is NOT typical (not impossible) for most to be even 90% on hwy for a full tank especially over weekends

- it is not possible on hwy during peak hours ... else peak hours do not exists

Cheers.

Richard

I on the contrary think it might be possible as long as its not stop start traffic. If u are able to still cruise at say 40-50km/h.

(edited)

Hi Richard,

haha... Great to have the power of $$$.

Thank you.

Best regards,

K. C.

Hi KC,

$ indeed got power but think it is fun to diy and tinker with our ride ...

I know my limits in that I destroy more than I fix and other than simple stuffs like changing bulbs, sticking trims, oiling seats etc., I turn to experts especially electrical works.

For my breeze clamps, mine was arranged together with AOS installation at BKS Woodsland and cost me nothing .. keke !

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

I on the contrary think it might be possible as long as its not stop start traffic. If u are able to still cruise at say 40-50km/h.

Hi Zpliu,

Possible but again not typical.

Do not think all cruising at 40-50km for fun during peak hours but because there cars are putting good use of their brakes.

Think also FC will not be 8km/l travelling at 40-50km/hr throughout the hwy but more so at 90km/hr ??

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Orixy,

Believe Apr/May 2016 onwards was the FL version from MI and quite many changes with versions A and B being pre FL and version C and D being FL :

- better sound insulation

- accoustic glass

- cvt cooler

- headlights: HID, side signal

- rear lights: c type

- etc.

More here which usa got it later:

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/15/2017-subaru-forester-has-new-face-better-eyesight-torque-vecto/

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Orixy/Simplytimo,

Sorry .. FL is not HID but LED and more details of differences here:

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=5878061

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Orixy,

Cheers.

Richard

Same mistake here .. stock LED 4300k temp and not HID for FL version

Not surprised. White light usually looks very bright but somehow doesnt illuminate the surrounding. Perhaps that's why the new LED street lamps are warm temp instead of white as well

(edited)

Hi Zpliu,

Possible but again not typical.

Do not think all cruising at 40-50km for fun during peak hours but because there cars are putting good use of their brakes.

Think also FC will not be 8km/l travelling at 40-50km/hr throughout the hwy but more so at 90km/hr ??

Cheers.

Richard

Ahaha not to mention those that think if they keep changing lanes during a jam, it will make their journey much faster causing others to brake. Lol

Not too sure about FXT. But for myself on FNA and my route, going home sometimes im cruising below 60 due to heavy traffic but still possible to hit about 9l per 100km.

Too many possibilities and variables la. But i think most would agree that the FC though is not fantastic, it is not as bad as what is being said about Subarus, fuel guzzling monsters.

Edited by Zpliu

Hi James,

Indeed 8.5l/100km or even 7.5l/100km or 13km/l on hwy but not realistic for typical fxt owners unless you are on night shift or driving to work at 6am and leaving office at 11 pm.

Full tank for typical 50/50 for typical driver would be 10km/l or 10l/100km and I had even done 7km/l for a full tank on 100% city driving.

Fxt also cannot be same FC of FNA under comparable driving and trip patterns ... only logical that power is not free and hope bro is not misled by mentioned MI technician who probably does not even own one to know.

Cheers.

Richard

[thumbsup] 

nowadays traffic condition is bad ... especially during rush hours, plenty of start-stop for city and sometimes slow moving on hway 

my FXT is daily 70city30hway (yes, even weekends), on shell helix ultra 5w-30 and shell98, can achieve 8.2 to 8.5km/l (FC base on real life calculation, not meter reading) which i consider to be very good for a turbo SUV that weigh 1680kg and has 240bhp power 

during school holidays, my drive pattern become 40city60hway, i can achieve 20% better FC about ~10km/l

(edited)

Yeah i think it's helpful. But it's only one night of driving so far. Will observe again.

@titaniclexus noticed yesterday evening the rear view did indeed darken like the usual dimming mirror. But it doesn't stay darken all the time. Not too sure if its designed that way or the sensor spoil lol. but even when it's not darken, there is a significantly improvement in the glare compared to stock based on my own observation. Thinking of comparing it side by side one day if i park by roadside at night. Edited by Zpliu

Hi Orixy,

Believe Apr/May 2016 onwards was the FL version from MI and quite many changes with versions A and B being pre FL and version C and D being FL :

- better sound insulation

- accoustic glass

- cvt cooler

- headlights: HID, side signal

- rear lights: c type

- etc.

More here which usa got it later:

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/15/2017-subaru-forester-has-new-face-better-eyesight-torque-vecto/

Cheers.

Richard

Richard, my fxt was manufactured Dec2016 but no cvt cooler. Those manufactured in 2017 i heard got cvt cooler.

Can consider this if you are keen on changing your fog lamps to LED using original Subaru parts:

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/2018-wrx-limited-led-fogs-installed-2015-forester-782597/

Using 2018 WRX limited fog lamps which are LED

Thanks for sharing, check the fog lamps, hard to find online got sell and the price cost ard US$160 per lamp.....quite exp... [:(]

I did check for the Outback fog lamps, EU version for Outback using LED fog lamps, fit Forester as well. But the price cost ard EUR500 plus per pair.... [lipsrsealed]

Wonder why Japan Parts don't have Outback model and accessories? Anyone know? [confused]

Hi Titanic,

Easy peasy plug and play with no modification.

Cheera.

Richard

Thanks Richard. I think the best way is juz change the bulb to LED type, easy and save costs..... trying to look for those fog lamp can run or switch over btw DRL and headlamp and fog lamp.... :a-happy:

@titaniclexus noticed yesterday evening the rear view did indeed darken like the usual dimming mirror. But it doesn't stay darken all the time. Not too sure if its designed that way or the sensor spoil lol. but even when it's not darken, there is a significantly improvement in the glare compared to stock based on my own observation. Thinking of comparing it side by side one day if i park by roadside at night.

Haha... try hang your stock one on top your head, drive and test the diff? [drivingcar][:p]

Richard, my fxt was manufactured Dec2016 but no cvt cooler. Those manufactured in 2017 i heard got cvt cooler.

Hi Orixy,

Noted and thanks ... learn again !!

Indeed then that forester got version A, B for pre FL and version C and D for FL version per the Japanese site(s) and perhaps only D version like mine with cvt cooler but not early C version like yours from Apr/May 2016 onwards from MI.

Cheers,

Richard

(edited)

@titaniclexus noticed yesterday evening the rear view did indeed darken like the usual dimming mirror. But it doesn't stay darken all the time. Not too sure if its designed that way or the sensor spoil lol. but even when it's not darken, there is a significantly improvement in the glare compared to stock based on my own observation. Thinking of comparing it side by side one day if i park by roadside at night.

Hi Zpliu,

Think do not need to wait until night time ... I find that parking in dark places with rear facing bright open space e.g. in MSCP will already activate my dimming rear view mirrors.

As mentioned previously, performance and quality/reliability of dimming rear view mirrors various quite a bit especially tiong ones and hence hope bros who wants the better ones to stay with Subaru original or Gentex ones ... even original Nissan's Gentex ones in my qashqai differs i from Subaru's Gentex ones on sensitivity etc. since car interior also differs or specified differently by Nissan and Subaru to same mfgr of Gentex

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032
↡ Advertisement