S60 vs Ford Mondeo 2015

Enson

I saw a guy keep posting in Ford Facebook saying engine EOL. After reading some articles, knowing that Ford going to renew their 2L ecoboost engine. I believe that might be the reason why RM not promoting the 2L now. Taiwan selling the 2L hybrid, unfortunately RM no plan to bring in.

hi letov. very keen to find out more about this as interested in the new mondeo 2l 

↡ Advertisement

Just so you know, the facelift is out at Detroit Motorshow.

The current Mondeo may feel new to us in Singapore but do not forget that this car was launched many years ago in the US as the Fusion but took more than 2 years to reach Europe and the rest of the world. Which is why the mid-life facelift is out now.

post-35831-0-02894100-1452530227_thumb.jpg

post-35831-0-95283600-1452530231_thumb.jpg

post-35831-0-73940800-1452530340_thumb.jpg

post-35831-0-76555400-1452530343_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eugn86

Perhaps the correct statement about Volvo being the safest should be linked to the facts that they are the pioneer in most safety features in automotive. They develop safety features for the industry to follow.

I concur. Volvo knows that they must play on its strengths and develop even further. Volvo is working towards a vision that no one will die in a new Volvo by 2020. And then this statement came:

Volvo CEO: We will accept all liability when our cars are in autonomous mode

When autonomous cars become available, which of the brands will you dare to fully entrust your life in? Volvo's commitment and thoroughness in delivering on the safety front will definitely put them in a trusted and favourable position.

During the days when Ford owned Volvo and the other brands, Ford limited the full potential of all the other brands, and instead tried to infuse them with the Ford DNA. Now that many of these brands are no longer under Ford ownership, they have grown from strength to strength - Mazda, Land Rover, Jaguar and Volvo (Aston Martin still a question mark)... And really the people at Volvo Sweden have never been happier as they can finally develop and build the Volvos that they always wanted to - new engines, new scalable platforms instead of shared ones with Ford, new engine technologies like the tri-turbo 2.0-litre engine in the pipeline and eliminating turbo-lag totally using a compressed gas tank in the engine bay...

I am a Volvo owner but I do like the Ford Mondeo, a lot in fact. Sitting in this latest Mondeo feels, strangely, familiar. The design, the features, the ergonomics... they feel very Volvo-ish. Coupled to a very attractive exterior design and this is a winner in my opinion. Ford does suspensions and steering fantastically. Volvo, got to be frank, quite dreadfully. But each brand plays on its strengths and at the end of the day, the buyer decides on what he wants. For the Mondeo's price, you can get the Volvo S80 T5 DrivE. The S80 is incredibly affordable now, and its fairer to compare with the Mondeo because they are similar in size, yet it is faster and more economical. It's fine, if you are looking into taking a step back in life. I'm not. The car personalises me, and I will never stop to explore beautiful roads.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Yes man, I agree....it's very similar to Jaguar...but, competition is growing and improvement must be unique! Unfortunately, there are very little unique ideas...

There's some resemblance to an old Jaguar to me - must be the grille.

Turbocharged

The current Mondeo may feel new to us in Singapore but do not forget that this car was launched many years ago in the US as the Fusion but took more than 2 years to reach Europe and the rest of the world. Which is why the mid-life facelift is out now.

Looks like this is the ST version, too.

Most obvious differences are the new rotary gear selector freeing up some space on the console and the exterior having new light clusters and a chrome strip on the rear.

Also seems the center storage under the stereo controls is bigger and it now has SYNC3. Not a ton of new stuff which means we don't have to have buyers remorse yet [sweatdrop]

I'm also guessing the new headlamp clusters have the Glare Free Highbeam feature (mechanical shutter masking of the beam).

And moving the two cup holders aft of the gear selector is a good move. In the current design, having a cupholder on the driver side interferes with natural operation of the gear stick.

this looks so much nicer.. current mondeo in singapore looks bad because of the back.. a nice front with ugly back. this one looks more balance and the back now looks like Jag XF

Thanks for the photos. Saw it in the news on other sites. The car is obviously designed to be left hand drive. The parking brake is still on the left which means anything in the cupholder will obstruct your use of the parking brake and gear lever. Same as now... can't it be more symmetrical?

Wow! Mondeo same price as S80? Can consider but prefer the Mondeo design. And the S80 belongs to the previous generation right? Cos it looks different from the current V40 & S60 range.

Many in SG may not know Ford owned Jaguar, Volvo and even Mazda.  This could be the result of the cross that happened in the past.

Yes man, I agree....it's very similar to Jaguar...but, competition is growing and improvement must be unique! Unfortunately, there are very little unique ideas...

this looks so much nicer.. current mondeo in singapore looks bad because of the back.. a nice front with ugly back. this one looks more balance and the back now looks like Jag XF

Actually I think not much change... the tweaks make the back look similar to a Lexus, Optima, Mazda 6, and BMW and a whole slew of cars with that sleek taillights and horizontal chrome trim.

yes the plant manufacturing mondeo RHD units had issues and if im not wrong had to be relocated, delaying the model to us by over 2 years.

btw is the facelift aka mk5.5 coming in anytime soon ?

Initially like to book the Mondeo 1.5, but long seating inside, feel something missing. The worst case is not electrical seat! OMG!

Initially like to book the Mondeo 1.5, but long seating inside, feel something missing. The worst case is not electrical seat! OMG!

had multiple ford vehicles as well as other brand cars. long distance i will say the slightly firmer seats really help to prevent backache esp driving up to malacca, ipoh and even further up. i would get the locally fitted leather seats if i were u

and yea the electrical seat part is something that's abit pain in the a** but no choice :X 

Turbocharged

Thanks for the photos. Saw it in the news on other sites. The car is obviously designed to be left hand drive. The parking brake is still on the left which means anything in the cupholder will obstruct your use of the parking brake and gear lever. Same as now... can't it be more symmetrical?

Wow! Mondeo same price as S80? Can consider but prefer the Mondeo design. And the S80 belongs to the previous generation right? Cos it looks different from the current V40 & S60 range.

I find this layout actually less obstructing than the current one. If you have something in the driver side cupholder for current design, it blocks your arm somewhat. With the cupholders being placed lengthwise it is less obstructing, it is hard to explain without trying it yourself.

Also looks like the new cupholders have ambient lighting in them as well.

Yes the current S80 on sale is an old model that is due to be phased out by the incoming S90.

yes the plant manufacturing mondeo RHD units had issues and if im not wrong had to be relocated, delaying the model to us by over 2 years.

btw is the facelift aka mk5.5 coming in anytime soon ?

the Genk or Ghent ... I can't recall at this exact moment plant that used to build Ford Europe cars was closed down due to the recession and it took longer than expected to prepare Valencia for manufacturing the Mondeo, but they took the time to improve it and re-tune the suspension for Europe, as well as developing the Dynamic LED headlamps.

Facelift shown above? I think it'll probably show up within the next couple of years, if you mean here.

imo the chrome strip slashing the tail-lights is a bit weird looking, I don't like that.

The rear tail-lights shape are the same, but they redesigned the cluster and fibreoptics... it looks like it contains more fibreoptics whereas the current design uses dot-diode style for the brake lights.

i find the side profile resemble too much the model it replaces.

lack of fresh air.

This is a facelift, it still has the same body, so the side profile looking the same is normal...

Just for comparison's sake the Optima is launched as a 2.0 L at $121,999. No idea what the specs are. Probably same old 2.0 L engine. Pity the 1.6 L turbo isn't brought in... not very far sighted...

Supercharged

Just for comparison's sake the Optima is launched as a 2.0 L at $121,999. No idea what the specs are. Probably same old 2.0 L engine.

post-1698-0-02143800-1453041323.png

dun dare to state 0-100km/h time  [laugh]

I would feel the same pain previously.  But after owning a few cars with powered seats this is what I think now: unless the powered seats also come with memory presets (and better if auto memory recall with different key fob), non-powered seats are better since it's a lot quicker to adjust.  There are many functionalities that I need for a modern car but non-powered seats are not deal breaker if I rationalize further.

↡ Advertisement