Taiwan: Car Rental (Taipei)

BabyBlade

My comments for the car you select. Since you have 5 person and luggage. The route you will be driving through mountains and long distance. It is better to get a bigger car with at least 2.0L. Car will be less under power and more comfort for the passengers.

Agreed, can try for mitsubishi outlander. Great for mountains' maneuvering.
↡ Advertisement

My comments for the car you select. Since you have 5 person and luggage. The route you will be driving through mountains and long distance. It is better to get a bigger car with at least 2.0L. Car will be less under power and more comfort for the passengers.

Yes, I do agree with you.  The other option I have will be Toyota Wish 2.0 or Toyota Sienta 1.8.  Sienta thou 1.8,it looks pretty small too.  The reason I choose New Livina is that thou it is only 1.6, it is CVT and booth space looks decent.  I also read in the forum that it was recommended to drive a small car in taiwan because the maneuverability and parking space is quite small.

Yes, I do agree with you.  The other option I have will be Toyota Wish 2.0 or Toyota Sienta 1.8.  Sienta thou 1.8,it looks pretty small too.  The reason I choose New Livina is that thou it is only 1.6, it is CVT and booth space looks decent.  I also read in the forum that it was recommended to drive a small car in taiwan because the maneuverability and parking space is quite small.

My previous rental there I got an Altis 1.8L, going up the mountain already felt under power.

Don't forget on their highway, their heavy vehicle is traveling at speed of around 100km/h. So it is always has a more powerful car in case overtaking is needed.

Wish should be good enough, most of their taxi and 包车 use that and travel all over the island including mountain. Just drive safely and don't speed, as you only going to Cingjing but not cutting through  太鲁阁, those route should be fine.

So I should stick to Wish then... lolx

BTW, I sorted out the excess cover part. Can get excess cover from www.RentalCover.com. Major rentals like Hertz n Avis also offering this excess cover but double the cost.

Edited by oceanmist73

I would like to post my self-drive experience in Taiwan.  Before my trip, I browse thru google map street view to for the routes that I will be taking to have a feel of how it gonna be like.

I rented the Toyota Sienta 1.8 from 庆宝 http://www.chingbing.com.tw @45% discount for foreigners.  The car thou looks small, but it is quite spacious and roomy for 5 pax and luggage.  Folding up the rear seats, we are able to accommodate 1XL, 1XM, 3XS luggage and other hand-carry bags etc.  I was given a brand new car, with 77km mileage only.  Nothing much to check since it is a new car.  Only to check the tyres conditions and pressure later at the petrol station.

1st attempt was a bit nervous but slowly getting used to it.  When to 2-3 petrol stations in Taoyuan to check the tyres pressure.  Was surprised that they do not have the gauge to pump the air.  Asked the staff and they replied 'by feel'!  Hahaha... Did nothing and just drove to Taichung.  Only managed to check the pressure on the 3rd day in Cingjing with a decent gauge.  Found out that the tyres were over pressured - close to 50psi.  I reduced to 36psi but the tyres warning signal came up.  I gave up and asked for the staff to help.  He also pump by aga-ration..

Highway driving is quite OK.  General observations:

1. There are many speed camera along the HW.

2. Speed limit generally between 100-110km/h with some stretches 80km/h.

3. Generally, I noticed the local drivers are quite considerate and law-abiding, including the heavy vehicles, to the speed limit.  Occasionally there will be some cars speeding and waving in & out.  But most of the cars are quite law abiding.  Unless the NS HW, limit 110km/h but almost everyone driving above 130km/h! Hahaha...

4. We as RH drivers tend to keep more to the right of our lane, hence in the LH situation, we tend to drive quite close to the middle lane.

The excitement came from the following drives and the challenge up 1 after another:

1. Taichung to Cingjing vv - Initially I thought this will be most challenging but I was wrong!  Up-slope, sharp bends, some fog along the way, but generally OK.  In fact, easier than driving up Genting.

2. Taichung to Lavender Cottage vv - Up & down slopes, many bends (along with the mountain contour, I think) and few stretches of road were so narrow but meant for 2-ways.  Have to be very careful with oncoming vehicles.  2 vehicles passing at the same time is very very close to the edge already.  Also noticed that the blind-spot mirrors at the bends only viewable by in-going vehicles.  On the way out, I can't see anything from the blind-spot mirrors.

3. Yeliu to Jiufen - The Google map lead me to a road which is so deserted, up & down slopes, sharp bends, narrow roads but have to agree, it is the shortest! Hahaha...

4. Juifen to Shifen - Similar to Yeliu to Jiufen, just challenge level up!

I tried both Waze and Google map to navigate in Taiwan.  Both are quite accurate but I preferred using google map because it has more map details showing, hence able to orientate and make reference to while driving.  Driving in the city need to take note of the motorcycle lane and box at traffic light.  Taipei city is more complex than Taichung,  many lanes leading to different places which google map navigation will not be able to show clearly.  The GPS provided need to enter in zhuyin, hence it is quite useless for us but I still on it anyway to get notification of speed cam and limits warning.

For those intend to drive in Taiwan, hope it helps!  Cheers! 

• Praise 4

Anyone has experiences with driving around Taiwan? And tips to provide for left hand drive countries, car rental company etc.

Generally public transport such as the Metro is far more convenient than a car (no need to find parking etc) but if we're talking about going out of Taipei, would you recommend driving or just taking the bullet train?

Please get a driver instead. Chauffeured around.

• Praise 1

I would like to post my self-drive experience in Taiwan.  Before my trip, I browse thru google map street view to for the routes that I will be taking to have a feel of how it gonna be like.

I rented the Toyota Sienta 1.8 from 庆宝 http://www.chingbing.com.tw @45% discount for foreigners.  The car thou looks small, but it is quite spacious and roomy for 5 pax and luggage.  Folding up the rear seats, we are able to accommodate 1XL, 1XM, 3XS luggage and other hand-carry bags etc.  I was given a brand new car, with 77km mileage only.  Nothing much to check since it is a new car.  Only to check the tyres conditions and pressure later at the petrol station.

1st attempt was a bit nervous but slowly getting used to it.  When to 2-3 petrol stations in Taoyuan to check the tyres pressure.  Was surprised that they do not have the gauge to pump the air.  Asked the staff and they replied 'by feel'!  Hahaha... Did nothing and just drove to Taichung.  Only managed to check the pressure on the 3rd day in Cingjing with a decent gauge.  Found out that the tyres were over pressured - close to 50psi.  I reduced to 36psi but the tyres warning signal came up.  I gave up and asked for the staff to help.  He also pump by aga-ration..

Highway driving is quite OK.  General observations:

1. There are many speed camera along the HW.

2. Speed limit generally between 100-110km/h with some stretches 80km/h.

3. Generally, I noticed the local drivers are quite considerate and law-abiding, including the heavy vehicles, to the speed limit.  Occasionally there will be some cars speeding and waving in & out.  But most of the cars are quite law abiding.  Unless the NS HW, limit 110km/h but almost everyone driving above 130km/h! Hahaha...

4. We as RH drivers tend to keep more to the right of our lane, hence in the LH situation, we tend to drive quite close to the middle lane.

The excitement came from the following drives and the challenge up 1 after another:

1. Taichung to Cingjing vv - Initially I thought this will be most challenging but I was wrong!  Up-slope, sharp bends, some fog along the way, but generally OK.  In fact, easier than driving up Genting.

2. Taichung to Lavender Cottage vv - Up & down slopes, many bends (along with the mountain contour, I think) and few stretches of road were so narrow but meant for 2-ways.  Have to be very careful with oncoming vehicles.  2 vehicles passing at the same time is very very close to the edge already.  Also noticed that the blind-spot mirrors at the bends only viewable by in-going vehicles.  On the way out, I can't see anything from the blind-spot mirrors.

3. Yeliu to Jiufen - The Google map lead me to a road which is so deserted, up & down slopes, sharp bends, narrow roads but have to agree, it is the shortest! Hahaha...

4. Juifen to Shifen - Similar to Yeliu to Jiufen, just challenge level up!

I tried both Waze and Google map to navigate in Taiwan.  Both are quite accurate but I preferred using google map because it has more map details showing, hence able to orientate and make reference to while driving.  Driving in the city need to take note of the motorcycle lane and box at traffic light.  Taipei city is more complex than Taichung,  many lanes leading to different places which google map navigation will not be able to show clearly.  The GPS provided need to enter in zhuyin, hence it is quite useless for us but I still on it anyway to get notification of speed cam and limits warning.

For those intend to drive in Taiwan, hope it helps!  Cheers! 

Thanks for the tips.

I will be doing the exact route in late Feb next year!!! Reserved a Toyota Wish with Ho Tai.

My pref is bao their taxi. Been doing that 2 years in a row. We paid 4500 NT a day, inclusive of petrol. Don't have to fret about driving. Can bring you to anywhere you want and at your pace.

My pref is bao their taxi. Been doing that 2 years in a row. We paid 4500 NT a day, inclusive of petrol. Don't have to fret about driving. Can bring you to anywhere you want and at your pace.

Problem with such private service to me is space and love to drive. [drivingcar]

I've done both a few times .. I generally prefer self-drive, any time every day, at night run out to do some shopping also can (I know some people don't care just let the driver work long hours, but its not right lah). There are times you want to explore a new place unplanned, no planned hotels, etc. just drive, or just stop at a town when you find something interesting or hear from the local tea house.

There are times when having a driver helps, e.g. when you feel like drinking. [laugh] [laugh]

Yes. I also prefer self drive. Can stop anytime when see something interesting.

• Praise 1

weather should be quite nice now, mountain side got cherry blossoms.

Just visited Lavender Cottage on the mountain. Lots of cherry blossom trees along the way. They are starting to bloom now.

post-2654-0-53466700-1550906549_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Enjoy your drive, scenery n chill weather....

This afternoon was at Sun Moon Lake when the clouds moved in. Visibility dropped by a lot. lucky I was not driving then.

post-2654-0-87823500-1551018321_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2