New Hyundai Tucson

Darryl

It's going to rain... ha ha... you can test the soundproofing of the Tucson roof. Most of the Hyundai sales are quite good. So I think don't need to ask for specific sales staff. Have fun bro... COE quota just dropped... might want to move in faster...

(edited)

Those who driving S/R Tucson, anyone installed V-Kool solar film? I was told that it is not recommended to apply solar film onto the sunroof. It is because Tucson has no way to drain water like Sonata and Santa Fe. so if installed the solar film, it might have chances that the soapy water that use to install the film will sip into our roof fabric and it will turn yellow patch, and more serious thing like the fabric will drop off the roof due to the water cause the glue loss it holding strength.

The staff had showed me. The finishing of the Tucson sunroof is really cheapo and no quality. [thumbsdown] .

And also due to the material of the V-Kool (metal in the film) and the structure and shape of Tucson back windscreen, it is impossible for them to apply the solar film to cover the whole piece of Tucson back windscreen. So right now, when I see my rear mirror, I can see my back windscreen is black but with a white border(due to not covered by the solar film) which look very cheapo.

So my advise for Tucson owner, try not to choose V-Kool unless you don't mind the white border. Go for the Glymaxx or 3M

Will take photo to show you guys when I have time. Disappointed with Tucson and V-Kool now.

Lesson learned, 2 good stuffs doesn't mean they will work well with each other.

Edited by Kennethoka

Those who driving S/R Tucson, anyone installed V-Kool solar film? I was told that it is not recommended to apply solar film onto the sunroof. It is because Tucson has no way to drain water like Sonata and Santa Fe. so if installed the solar film, it might have chances that the soapy water that use to install the film will sip into our roof fabric and it will turn yellow patch, and more serious thing like the fabric will drop off the roof due to the water cause the glue loss it holding strength.

The staff had showed me. The finishing of the Tucson sunroof is really cheapo and no quality. [thumbsdown] .

And also due to the material of the V-Kool (metal in the film) and the structure and shape of Tucson back windscreen, it is impossible for them to apply the solar film to cover the whole piece of Tucson back windscreen. So right now, when I see my rear mirror, I can see my back windscreen is black but with a white border(due to not covered by the solar film) which look very cheapo.

So my advise for Tucson owner, try not to choose V-Kool unless you don't mind the white border. Go for the Glymaxx or 3M

Will take photo to show you guys when I have time. Disappointed with Tucson and V-Kool now.

Lesson learned, 2 good stuffs doesn't mean they will work well with each other.

I installed the OEM from the vkool authorised shop. So far so good. I did not install the solar film on the sunroof. My back windscreen looks alright le no cheapo looking.

(edited)

I installed the OEM from the vkool authorised shop. So far so good. I did not install the solar film on the sunroof. My back windscreen looks alright le no cheapo looking.

Yah. actually is my backside itchy. I upgrade the package to K12 - VK30. Was told that OEM film does not has metal element in there. It is the metal element that causes the problem. If I know that will cause the issue, I will get the 3M instead.

Edited by Kennethoka

(edited)

It is because Tucson has no way to drain water like Sonata and Santa Fe. so if installed the solar film, it might have chances that the soapy water that use to install the film will sip into our roof fabric and it will turn yellow patch, and more serious thing like the fabric will drop off the roof due to the water cause the glue loss it holding strength.

The staff had showed me. The finishing of the Tucson sunroof is really cheapo and no quality. [thumbsdown]

I don't quite understand / agree with  the staff's statements. Can you explain more.

1) "Tuscon has no way to drain water like sonata" - I suppose this means outside/roof of car. correct?

2) "soapy water will sip into our roof fabric" - if sips from outside to inside, meaning the sunroof leaks?

if so the problem of sunroof leak is a big concern to me, regardless i am thinking about solar film or not.

By the way, anyone knows how much it costs to wrap a Tuscon/SUV? 

Edited by ConnorMcLeod
  • Praise 1

I don't quite understand / agree with the staff's statements. Can you explain more.

1) "Tuscon has no way to drain water like sonata" - I suppose this means outside/roof of car. correct?

2) "soapy water will sip into our roof fabric" - if sips from outside to inside, meaning the sunroof leaks?

if so the problem of sunroof leak is a big concern to me, regardless i am thinking about solar film or not.

By the way, anyone knows how much it costs to wrap a Tuscon/SUV?

What Donald means is this... when you retract the sunroof, most cars have a drain surrounding the opening to the inside of the car. When it rains, if the rubber seals around the sunroof movable piece leaks, water will leak in but will collect into this drain which then leads the water through some drainage system. The water will never flow into the car cabin. For the Tucson, this drain is missing. That is the sunroof was designed without this extra bit of water protection. So if the rubber seals ever leak, the rain water will seep directly into the cabin. Now if you have ever open a sunroof and scrutinize the edge of the opening, you will find that you can see the cross-section of the roof. Usually there is a gap between the metal skin and the inner lining of the inside roof where all the cushioning and fabric is located. If the drain mentioned above is not present, any water leaking in will drip onto the inside roof lining and wet it.

When you apply any solar film to glass, you need to spray soapy water liberally all over the glass. This is to keep the film movable as they adjust the positioning and work out all the bubbles from the film. The soapy water will start to drip. For windows and windscreens, water drips down and they use rags to soak up the water. But for the sunroof, it's quite difficult to place rags to soak up the water due to the position of the sunroof. There's no place to hold the rags.

I think I remember my SE also tell me the same thing. Sonata can apply solar film to the sunroof but not for Tucson. I drive the Sonata and I applied V-Kool to every glass window surface.

• Praise 1

ConnorMcLeod, the costs should be $1350 including sunroof for 2.0 L size sedans & SUV. This is for VKool. Minus $200 to exclude the sunroof. I chose the VK-40 package. The VK-30 package is darker for the rear windows but it was out of stock. It will cost $50 or $100 more than the VK-40 package. The front windows material is the same across all packages. Hope this helps.

For the Tucson, this drain is missing. That is the sunroof was designed without this extra bit of water protection. So if the rubber seals ever leak, the rain water will seep directly into the cabin. 

I think I remember my SE also tell me the same thing. Sonata can apply solar film to the sunroof but not for Tucson. I drive the Sonata and I applied V-Kool to every glass window surface.

This is strange. They don't practise design reuse... some model has the drain and some don't.

When you apply any solar film to glass, you need to spray soapy water liberally all over the glass. This is to keep the film movable as they adjust the positioning and work out all the bubbles from the film. The soapy water will start to drip. For windows and windscreens, water drips down and they use rags to soak up the water. But for the sunroof, it's quite difficult to place rags to soak up the water due to the position of the sunroof. There's no place to hold the rags.

I thought the solar film is on the inside? Therefore even has drain makes no difference?

The soapy water drips when sprayed on the inside of the SR. Yes this can be messy.

• Praise 1

This is strange. They don't practise design reuse... some model has the drain and some don't.

I thought the solar film is on the inside? Therefore even has drain makes no difference?

The soapy water drips when sprayed on the inside of the SR. Yes this can be messy.

Eh, no... you see the piece of glass that moves is wider than the roof aperture and it curves away from the centre... so when the water flows, it will move to the sides and gather at the edges of the movable glass roof window, and then drip into the drain that goes around the edges of the movable glass roof window. I noticed when they fixed the sunroof film, they made a point not to spray so much water... I really didn't inspect the sunroof film cos I hardly ever open the sunroof shade...

As for not reusing design... the reason may be because the Tucson sunroof may be smaller than the Sonata roof. Or it may simply be product differentiation... the Sonata is the flagship in the important mid-sized saloon category internationally... hence it gets better design... might also be a costing issue... I really don't know but sometimes car companies make all kinds of design decisions for various reasons which we may not even understand when explained to us... hahaha... I guess it makes some kind of logic to their internal processes...

Eh, no... you see the piece of glass that moves is wider than the roof aperture and it curves away from the centre... so when the water flows, it will move to the sides and gather at the edges of the movable glass roof window, and then drip into the drain that goes around the edges of the movable glass roof window. I noticed when they fixed the sunroof film, they made a point not to spray so much water... I really didn't inspect the sunroof film cos I hardly ever open the sunroof shade...

As for not reusing design... the reason may be because the Tucson sunroof may be smaller than the Sonata roof. Or it may simply be product differentiation... the Sonata is the flagship in the important mid-sized saloon category internationally... hence it gets better design... might also be a costing issue... I really don't know but sometimes car companies make all kinds of design decisions for various reasons which we may not even understand when explained to us... hahaha... I guess it makes some kind of logic to their internal processes...

Short answer, no point to install solar film on the sunroof...problem solved and no need to investigate further, save your money too lol.

• Praise 1

In short you are saying:i may get wet if i open SR after rain, right?

(edited)

In short you are saying:i may get wet if i open SR after rain, right?

Yes, that is quite likely... I post a photo of the sunroof mechanism on the Sonata  when it's opened. Sorry not clear, a bit difficult to access the opening from the driver's seat... you can see clearly that there is a margin where the drainage is, the actual opening is much smaller than the glass panel that moves. Check out the position of the rubber seal.

post-167839-0-02700200-1469493632_thumb.jpg

Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 1

Yes, that is quite likely... I post a photo of the sunroof mechanism on the Sonata  when it's opened. Sorry not clear, a bit difficult to access the opening from the driver's seat... you can see clearly that there is a margin where the drainage is, the actual opening is much smaller than the glass panel that moves. Check out the position of the rubber seal.

attachicon.gif20160721_164703.jpg

Thanks tomingern. I'm lazy to take photo. Tucson has quite similar design but 1 think Tucson has a missing part. Let me see mine first.

• Praise 1

Does it mean for cars with sunroof, will get wet when open sunroof after rain?

not sure about other car, but at least for Tucson, yes.

↡ Advertisement