New Hyundai Tucson

Darryl

How's the servicing costs like?

Any breakdown or failure in your 9 years of ownership?

i'm 4th owner at yr 5.5, clocked another 60k km.

servicing cost ok cos i go to outside workshop 75-130.

changed timing n other belts n fuel filter at below 400 cos komoco mid-yr sale.

changed steering rack not long after collect car cos missed out 1 leaking spot fr boot (repair slight cheaper but downtime too long).

changed a/c compressor, thermostat,dryer n expansion v/v due to freezing a/c pipe (buy used car really heng sway sometimes).

changed auto trans fluid once.

changed all shocks, shock mounts n stoppers.

changed all tires once.

change batt once.

changed thermostat housing n some main hose due to coolant slight leak.

changed cv joint left outer.

changed inner drive shaft boots due to grease spurting from them.

zero breakdown cos i do check engine bay n service periodically.

upcoming repair if i renew coe may be v/v cover gasket, probably another 100+/-.

↡ Advertisement

But heard this car FC very high?!

lotsa short distance city drive fc will suck at 8kml, highway driving can achieve 10kml or maybe even better if up north type.

2l - somewhere 10kml consider ok i think

1.5l to 1.6l - somewhr 12-13kml ok i think

so maybe next car either i renew coe or downgrade cc to 1.5l / 1.6l. side note: i think vitara quite underrated / black horse w below 1.2t weight paired to 1.6l engine w 6at.

lotsa short distance city drive fc will suck at 8kml, highway driving can achieve 10kml or maybe even better if up north type.

2l - somewhere 10kml consider ok i think

1.5l to 1.6l - somewhr 12-13kml ok i think

so maybe next car either i renew coe or downgrade cc to 1.5l / 1.6l. side note: i think vitara quite underrated / black horse w below 1.2t weight paired to 1.6l engine w 6at.

Not worth to renew lar... your car change so many things already... mileage is high...

Not worth to renew lar... your car change so many things already... mileage is high...

but if change so many things may last some more yrs since it's quite hardy.

i like the smooth engine n hardy 4at most..

mileage about 150k km, assumin no tweaking..

anyway, see how ba, don't feel like letting govt n dealer earn so much n don wanna be held for so much ransom just becos i need a ride..

i'm 4th owner at yr 5.5, clocked another 60k km.

servicing cost ok cos i go to outside workshop 75-130.

changed timing n other belts n fuel filter at below 400 cos komoco mid-yr sale.

changed steering rack not long after collect car cos missed out 1 leaking spot fr boot (repair slight cheaper but downtime too long).

changed a/c compressor, thermostat,dryer n expansion v/v due to freezing a/c pipe (buy used car really heng sway sometimes).

changed auto trans fluid once.

changed all shocks, shock mounts n stoppers.

changed all tires once.

change batt once.

changed thermostat housing n some main hose due to coolant slight leak.

changed cv joint left outer.

changed inner drive shaft boots due to grease spurting from them.

zero breakdown cos i do check engine bay n service periodically.

upcoming repair if i renew coe may be v/v cover gasket, probably another 100+/-.

Since you know your car inside out, I think worth to renew if you don't mind driving an older car.

Since you've changed alot of parts yourself, there probably are not that many left to change so keeping the car for another 5/10 years sounds reasonable (but if 10 years might need to change some more). 

Furthermore, with the expected slight dip in COE premiums it would make the PQP more or less stable in the next coming year  and 50ish K PQP is pretty reasonable for renewal.

I've seen quite a few COE tucsons running around so I guess that's a good sign.

At the end of the day, it's your money so do what you feel is best for you but either way there are pros and cons. 

P.S your tucson condition sounds good plus well maintained, if wanna scrap lmk I ask ppl who are looking for car to renew COE  to look for you hahaha

• Praise 2

Since you know your car inside out, I think worth to renew if you don't mind driving an older car.

Since you've changed alot of parts yourself, there probably are not that many left to change so keeping the car for another 5/10 years sounds reasonable (but if 10 years might need to change some more). 

Furthermore, with the expected slight dip in COE premiums it would make the PQP more or less stable in the next coming year  and 50ish K PQP is pretty reasonable for renewal.

I've seen quite a few COE tucsons running around so I guess that's a good sign.

At the end of the day, it's your money so do what you feel is best for you but either way there are pros and cons. 

P.S your tucson condition sounds good plus well maintained, if wanna scrap lmk I ask ppl who are looking for car to renew COE  to look for you hahaha

tks bro. u not silangkia at all; chg ur nick to hokia haha..

ya i felt its quite a hardy car. old, no frills but damn spacious, comfy n reasonably trouble free..

my options remain open though, so do let me know if u do come across such group of ppl that u mentioned.. to be honest, if there is a reasonable offer i may consider letting go, though feeling like 50/50..

Is interested in the Tucson 1.6L Turbo and had checked with KMC - It is a shame that the Turbo is so bare minimum without the features of the 2.0L S/R package and KMC is unable to cater for the segment of buyers that would be interested in a 1.6L Turbo S/R package.

Turbo is attractive to me as drove the veloster turbo before Tucson.

• Praise 1

Euro 6 emission standards will kick in on September. I am guessing that Komoco would probably look into bringing other variants of the 1.6T to beef up the current model range. From the specs for the 2.0MPI engine, it is only Euro 4 compliant. Perhaps they may even bring in the 1.6GDI engine variant since it is Euro 6 compliant.

Edited by Wattokkingu
  • Praise 1

Euro 6 emission standards will kick in on September. I am guessing that Komoco would probably look into bringing other variants of the 1.6T to beef up the current model range. From the specs for the 2.0MPI engine, it is only Euro 4 compliant. Perhaps they may even bring in the 1.6GDI engine variant since it is Euro 6 compliant.

Oh I didn't know the MPI 2.0 L is only Euro 4 compliant? That means my Sonata is only Euro 4 compliant??? Wow!

Is interested in the Tucson 1.6L Turbo and had checked with KMC - It is a shame that the Turbo is so bare minimum without the features of the 2.0L S/R package and KMC is unable to cater for the segment of buyers that would be interested in a 1.6L Turbo S/R package.

Yea...marketing is not correct. Should have provide more options. 

For those wants to discuss in Facebook, you may head to https://www.facebook.com/groups/HyundaiTucson2016/ and join the closed group. So far we have 170+ members. Plenty of them are pretty helpful in giving feedback.

• Praise 1

Oh I didn't know the MPI 2.0 L is only Euro 4 compliant? That means my Sonata is only Euro 4 compliant??? Wow!

I saw the info on a spec sheet provided by a forummer who posted on this thread. It is also listed on Hyundai SG website, I just noticed that the 1.6T is also listed as Euro 4 only...

Interesting... then how does Hyundai meet the Euro 6 standard in Europe? They sell the i-series line in Europe though... their engines are the same as those in the US... the US models are the global models, whereas Europe gets their own line due to suspension tuning and design preferences...

Kia Sportage is now the SUV of the year but I hardly see many Kia Sportage on the road then Hyundai Tucson. Which will you prefer more? 2016 Kia Sportage GT version or Hyundai Tucson 1.6 Turbo? What are your thoughts? Drive, passenger comfort, price, maintenance, distributor and etc....?

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=11893

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=11735

• Praise 1

Kia Sportage is now the SUV of the year but I hardly see many Kia Sportage on the road then Hyundai Tucson. Which will you prefer more? 2016 Kia Sportage GT version or Hyundai Tucson 1.6 Turbo? What are your thoughts? Drive, passenger comfort, price, maintenance, distributor and etc....?

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=11893

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=11735

They are pretty well matched as close corporate cousins, but tuned and positioned slightly differently on a like for like basis, hence the preferred option really depends on your priorities. 

Kia is positioned towards the younger crowd, hence the more advant garde design. Accordingly, the Sportage's suspension is tuned more for sports, and the Tucson more for comfort.

If I were in the market for a 5 seater SUV, comfort tuned suspension is probably more important. Pair that with a more powerful engine, larger boot space, and more attractive looks (to me), I think I'd prefer the Tucson 1.6T. 

Note that there are differences in airbags (2 in Tucson vs 6 in Sportage), and Sportage has a few features the Tucson does not (like rain sensing wipers, paddle shifters etc), but depends on you how important those features are. 

Some reviews below (note different engines).

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/kia-sportage-vs-hyundai-tucson

http://www.caradvice.com.au/428631/medium-suv-comparison-hyundai-tucson-active-x-v-kia-sportage-sli-v-mazda-cx-5-maxx-sport/

They are pretty well matched as close corporate cousins, but tuned and positioned slightly differently on a like for like basis, hence the preferred option really depends on your priorities. 

Kia is positioned towards the younger crowd, hence the more advant garde design. Accordingly, the Sportage's suspension is tuned more for sports, and the Tucson more for comfort.

If I were in the market for a 5 seater SUV, comfort tuned suspension is probably more important. Pair that with a more powerful engine, larger boot space, and more attractive looks (to me), I think I'd prefer the Tucson 1.6T. 

Note that there are differences in airbags (2 in Tucson vs 6 in Sportage), and Sportage has a few features the Tucson does not (like rain sensing wipers, paddle shifters etc), but depends on you how important those features are. 

Some reviews below (note different engines).

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/kia-sportage-vs-hyundai-tucson

http://www.caradvice.com.au/428631/medium-suv-comparison-hyundai-tucson-active-x-v-kia-sportage-sli-v-mazda-cx-5-maxx-sport/

Here's another relevant comparison. Includes the Tucson 1.6L turbo, Xtrail (its the more powerful 2.5L variant rather than the 2.0L version in Singapore), and the RAV4 (again, more powerful 2.5L variant rather than 2.0L variant. Surprisingly RAV4 is the cheapest vehicle in the group test in Australia, unlike in Singapore, where BM is selling the 2.0L variant at $145k).

Interestingly, Tucson takes the win, with Xtrail 2.5L #2 and RAV4 #3.

VW Alltrack is joint #1, but don't think its in SG. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/406686/hyundai-tucson-elite-1-6l-v-nissan-x-trail-st-l-4wd-v-toyota-rav4-gxl-v-volkswagen-golf-alltrack-comparison-review/

Anyone know if the free dashcam can be trade in/upgraded to a 2ch cam?

Do we need to apply the solar film for the sun roof or is it not recommended?

No... Komoco will say they can't do it due to lemon law such that if there is anything wrong with the device outside the standard agreement they become liable for service and recovery which they don't want to do cos that's not their core business...

Recommended that solar film be done for sunroof. Another $100 for sunroof, $200-300 for panoramic type. Not that much more. Prices are from V-Kool which I installed... not sure about other brands but do note that for some panoramic sunroof models, they can't do it according to the V-Kool techs cos there's nowhere to collect the dripping soap water (that is the sunroof has no dedicated drain) when they push the soap water out from under the film during installation... not sure if it's a problem for other brands or not. I was told this when I asked V-Kool to do my Sonata. In the end it was possible thankfully. They were quite careful that the soap water didn't drip down into the inside roof headliner or interior.

Edited by teomingern
↡ Advertisement