Swordfish kills man who speared it!

RadX

RIP. Live by the sword, die by the sword!

Swordfish kills fisherman who speared it during struggle in Hawaii

After struggling to escape, the fish swam back around toward the 47-year-old man at a high speed and struck him in the chest with its 3ft bill

c8e01674-a2af-438a-af02-22cc6107be59-300 Largely an open-ocean species, swordfish rarely swim in shallow waters. Photograph: Norbert Wu/Corbis

Alan Yuhas

Saturday 30 May 2015 22.21 BST Last modified on Saturday 30 May 201523.33 BST

A swordfish impaled a Hawaiian fisherman after having been speared by the fisherman itself, state officials said on Saturday.

Police named the victim as 47-year-old Randy Llanes, saying he had grabbed his speargun and jumped into Honokohau harbor on Friday morning when he spotted a broadbill swordfish near his boat.

Llanes speared the fish, but as it struggled to escape the spear’s line got tangled in a mooring anchor. Caught on the anchor, the fish swam back around toward Llanes at a high speed and struck him in the chest with its 3ft bill.

Although Llanes was quickly pulled from the water and emergency personnel arrived minutes later, CPR attempts proved unable to revive him, according to the state Department of Land and Natural Resources. Shortly afterward Llanes was pronounced dead at the hospital, where a large crowd of people gathered to pay their condolences.

A Hawaii native, Llanes had worked for more than 18 years as captain for a charter fishing business, and had more than 25 years of experience fishing in the archipelago’s waters.

“Hawaii is one of those rare places where sea monsters still exist and world records can still be broken,” he wrote on his company’s website. “My greatest pleasure is being able to share the excitement and natural wonder of the Hawaiian offshore fishing experience with others.”

He was described by family members as an intimidating but generous man.

“He was a tough guy, he was such a tough guy that everyone’s scared of him, the whole harbor’s scared of him,” Kalina Llanes, the man’s sister-in-law, told KITV news.

She added that those who knew him well were “not scared of him because he has such a big heart”.

Llanes’ friend Dale Leverone told Khon the fiserhman was “just a great local boy. A good attitude, good person, a help-anybody kind of guy. He had a heck of a lot of friends.”

Leverone described him as an “accomplished fisherman”, saying “he actually caught a 500-pound marlin yesterday out of his skiff.”

State officials also pulled the 6ft, 40lb fish from the water. Largely an open-ocean species, swordfish rarely swim in shallow waters.

County police and conservation officials said they are investigating the incident, and said that while such accidents are rare, swordfish and other large billfish are aggressive and fast animals who have injured and killed humans before.

In 2004, a Malaysian man out fishing was killed by a swordfish when the animal leapt from the water and delivered a fatal blow to the chest. A year earlier, a researcher studying whales in the water survived a marlin’s lancing off the coast of Maui after the fish veered into him to escape its predators.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

spearing fish for fun/thrill/skill/bragging rights (sport) is in itself a fishy pastime. Let these animals have some peace and enjoy the oceans.

• Praise 1

My sympathies lie purely with the swordfish.

Agree

Hypersonic

An eye for an eye - Humans cannot leave anything alone - Got stress also take out on animals

We already do enough harm.

Pollute the sea, eat then for food. I just think fishing them for sport is just too much.

Though I'm not a vegetarian, I don't think I really need to kill a fish by putting a hook through its mouth and dragging it to my boat...

• Praise 1

We tend to pass value judgement on many things our fellow humans do but we seldom look at ourselves.

Have we ever think about the cow, lamb, baby pig (roasted pig), chicken, ducks, goose (foie gras) and many other animals that serve our dinner table.

Many of these animals never felt the love of their mama or papa. Many of these animals know nothing of the shed or farm that they live. ONLY to be slaughtered when the time comes.

Just for the convenience of human lifestyle, we are producing and slaughtering more than we can consume. Million tons of good meat thrown away each year because they go expired by date or because we cant finish our food.

It is good as any other times, to teach our children, that our resources are limited and we need to share with other living things in the world. We also need to respect not just our fellow human beings but also respect the animals that sacrifice their lives so that can feed us.

• Praise 5

Most of this fishing is purely for sport. Which is no different from hunting.

Orbigoot.

I was debating whether to pm in private or post my thoughts here. After sometime I thought everybody is adult to accept both praises and criticisms.

I appreciate your feelings about hurting an animal for a sport and many would agree it is "sinful" and borders about being whether it is ethical in the first place. Many sports involving animals are quite similar: horse racing - many non performing horses if lucky are met with a bullet between the eyes, otherwise those owners who have no money will let them rot somewhere, polo - many horses with leg injuries. These are sports that are really happening in our own backyard. I don't see many coming out shouting animal abuse.

I am disturbed by your comment. "Orbigoot".

To me, I am no saint, but every single human life is very very precious regards if he is a doctor who contributes to society, a soldier who kills to protect our sovereignty, a murder (by choice or by circumstances) who happens to be someone father, mother, son or daughter. I don't take a lost of life in any circumstances lightly and I don't congratulate even if someone gets "capital punishment".

I hope I am wrong in the impression that you are giving, that is, a person deserves to die, if he does something wrong. It affects me, that if you are in the medical profession, I understand it is one's duty to save and preserve lives regards their colour, nationality, creed or deed.

Your last comment affects me a lot especially on a Sunday afternoon which worries me especially if the young today feels the same way. Not too long ago, we had some "rich and powerful" children posting on the net from an elite family, asking the poor to kill themselves so as to less the problems of our society. This is indeed a worrying trend.

Apologise.

Hypersonic

I was debating whether to pm in private or post my thoughts here. After sometime I thought everybody is adult to accept both praises and criticisms.

I appreciate your feelings about hurting an animal for a sport and many would agree it is "sinful" and borders about being whether it is ethical in the first place. Many sports involving animals are quite similar: horse racing - many non performing horses if lucky are met with a bullet between the eyes, otherwise those owners who have no money will let them rot somewhere, polo - many horses with leg injuries. These are sports that are really happening in our own backyard. I don't see many coming out shouting animal abuse.

I am disturbed by your comment. "Orbigoot".

To me, I am no saint, but every single human life is very very precious regards if he is a doctor who contributes to society, a soldier who kills to protect our sovereignty, a murder (by choice or by circumstances) who happens to be someone father, mother, son or daughter. I don't take a lost of life in any circumstances lightly and I don't congratulate even if someone gets "capital punishment".

I hope I am wrong in the impression that you are giving, that is, a person deserves to die, if he does something wrong. It affects me, that if you are in the medical profession, I understand it is one's duty to save and preserve lives regards their colour, nationality, creed or deed.

Your last comment affects me a lot especially on a Sunday afternoon which worries me especially if the young today feels the same way. Not too long ago, we had some "rich and powerful" children posting on the net from an elite family, asking the poor to kill themselves so as to less the problems of our society. This is indeed a worrying trend.

Apologise.

Please read, he jumped into the sea to spear a big predator fish that speared him back. This fish did not attack him.

Is he an indigenous fisherman making his living out in the sea in a canoe?

Is he a 8 year old Indian child that got killed by a man-eating tiger due to enroachment of human settlements onto forested areas?

Was he Steve Irwin who died while trying to film a stingray in order to teach conservation?

If a hunter gets killed by a lion, i don't really see what's so tragic.

My job is to treat without discrimination. Doesn't mean I have to like the fella. If i see him bleeding out of his chest, yes i will try to save him. But even if it's my relative, i'll tell them orbigoot.

If u stand in a field in Cat 1 weather holding a lightning rod in your hands, i will tell u orbigoot.

I'm no saint either and i don't condone violence. I do believe almost always, a human life is more precious than the life of an animal. But in this instance, i don't.

U want to hunt something for sport, go jump into the sea vs a killer whale please.

• Praise 3

(edited)

Please read, he jumped into the sea to spear a big predator fish that speared him back. This fish did not attack him.

Is he an indigenous fisherman making his living out in the sea in a canoe?

Is he a 8 year old Indian child that got killed by a man-eating tiger due to enroachment of human settlements onto forested areas?

Was he Steve Irwin who died while trying to film a stingray in order to teach conservation?

If a hunter gets killed by a lion, i don't really see what's so tragic.

My job is to treat without discrimination. Doesn't mean I have to like the fella. If i see him bleeding out of his chest, yes i will try to save him. But even if it's my relative, i'll tell them orbigoot.

If u stand in a field in Cat 1 weather holding a lightning rod in your hands, i will tell u orbigoot.

I'm no saint either and i don't condone violence. I do believe almost always, a human life is more precious than the life of an animal. But in this instance, i don't.

U want to hunt something for sport, go jump into the sea vs a killer whale please.

I think you really need to re-evaluate your values. When you say, "I do believe almost always, a human life is more precious than the life of an animal. But in this instance, i don't.". I apologise, it should not be almost always, it should be always. Where do you draw the line?

Just because someone does a rash act, whether knowingly or not, who are we pass a value judgement as orbigoot. We don't know the circumstances behind his act. An example: a person under extreme pressure to get well, a private doctor claims by getting this surgery he will have a high chance of getting better. However, there is no stacks of literature to support this claim. He suffered serious adversity or worse death following the surgery. In your logic, orbigoot to him for not taking reading the literature. If we take the beginning and the end of process only, it seems he deserve it BUT in between there is a professional doctor whom he trust to give him the best advice.

You are highly educated and can think logically, but there are many times, I am sure you did illogical things and sometimes defy not only logic but may cheat death. We all do, that is, why we are humans.

Prior to recent change in the law, anybody caught carry x amount of drugs will be hanged regardless of the circumstances as proven by the records. There are few I am sure were force to carry the drugs, due to intimidation of causing harm to their love one or other mind torturing reasons. Should all these drug carriers who were hanged orbigoot too?

"If a hunter gets killed by a lion, i don't really see what's so tragic." So may I ask why mums, dads, brothers and sisters including the society cries when a soldier (hunter) dies in combat and often seek revenge. In your logic what so tragic about it. If you argue this is human lives, then you mentioned earlier, in this instance, a fish life is more precious than a human life.

In short, I unfortunately, disagree with you, that no matter what when someone loose his or her life for whatever reason, not knowing the circumstances, especially when we can sympathised with a fish, surely we should not be orbigoot about a person death.

Edited by WilliamY

I think you really need to re-evaluate your values. When you say, "I do believe almost always, a human life is more precious than the life of an animal. But in this instance, i don't.". I apologise, it should not be almost always, it should be always. Where do you draw the line?

Just because someone does a rash act, whether knowingly or not, who are we pass a value judgement as orbigoot. We don't know the circumstances behind his act. An example: a person under extreme pressure to get well, a private doctor claims by getting this surgery he will have a high chance of getting better. However, there is no stacks of literature to support this claim. He suffered serious adversity or worse death following the surgery. In your logic, orbigoot to him for not taking reading the literature. If we take the beginning and the end of process only, it seems he deserve it BUT in between there is a professional doctor whom he trust to give him the best advice.

You are highly educated and can think logically, but there are many times, I am sure you did illogical things and sometimes defy not only logic but may cheat death. We all do, that is, why we are humans.

Prior to recent change in the law, anybody caught carry x amount of drugs will be hanged regardless of the circumstances as proven by the records. There are few I am sure were force to carry the drugs, due to intimidation of causing harm to their love one or other mind torturing reasons. Should all these drug carriers who were hanged orbigoot too?

"If a hunter gets killed by a lion, i don't really see what's so tragic." So may I ask why mums, dads, brothers and sisters including the society cries when a soldier (hunter) dies in combat and often seek revenge. In your logic what so tragic about it. If you argue this is human lives, then you mentioned earlier, in this instance, a fish life is more precious than a human life.

In short, I unfortunately, disagree with you, that no matter what when someone loose his or her life for whatever reason, not knowing the circumstances, especially when we can sympathised with a fish, surely we should not be orbigoot about a person death.

Lala may be a doctor but as he has correctly pointed out, he is no saint.

I think I deserve 5 praise from him for saying he is no saint in this instance.

Perhaps what is lacking in him as a doctor is a certain level of empathy. Many of us have certain expectation of our doctor, rightly or wrongly (I find the same in many of our current crop of politicians as well), so he will never be my family doctor but I will take Turboflat4 anytime. (Again, this may not be correct as I am basing my reading on posts made in this forum).

For that, I deserve 5 dislike from him. So they cancel out. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Context is everything.

Do you lament the death of hitler? Do you lament the death of a serial killer?

Tragic? Can you honestly touch your heart and say that you actually find it tragic that these people die?

Then i ask you, why is your value of the sanctity of human life so important? What makes us better than them? Just because we are the top of the food chain? Just because we understand the concept of love and family? (that's not even a defence, cos animals understand the concept just as well as us).

It's a human fallacy to find ourselves the center of the universe. We are not.

The only thing truly special about us is that we are the only species that can appreciate the workings of a universe.

I like to eat fish, I try to eat fish everyday. If one day a fish kills me or i turn up as fish food, I won't really feel sad. Cos I've eaten enough of them in my life time.

My family and friends will lament my loss. But i don't really care if anyone else does to be honest.

I can empathise with the family for their sudden loss. Similarly i can empathise with why the animal stabbed it's attacker to the death.

Hypersonic

Lala may be a doctor but as he has correctly pointed out, he is no saint.

I think I deserve 5 praise from him for saying he is no saint in this instance.

Perhaps what is lacking in him as a doctor is a certain level of empathy. Many of us have certain expectation of our doctor, rightly or wrongly (I find the same in many of our current crop of politicians as well), so he will never be my family doctor but I will take Turboflat4 anytime. (Again, this may not be correct as I am basing my reading on posts made in this forum).

For that, I deserve 5 dislike from him. So they cancel out. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

I empathise with the family. Not the person nor his actions.

No problem. We are all human.

Dislike me is ok, just leave your name down [thumbsup]

Context is everything.

Do you lament the death of hitler? Do you lament the death of a serial killer?

Tragic? Can you honestly touch your heart and say that you actually find it tragic that these people die?

Then i ask you, why is your value of the sanctity of human life so important? What makes us better than them? Just because we are the top of the food chain? Just because we understand the concept of love and family? (that's not even a defence, cos animals understand the concept just as well as us).

It's a human fallacy to find ourselves the center of the universe. We are not.

The only thing truly special about us is that we are the only species that can appreciate the workings of a universe.

I like to eat fish, I try to eat fish everyday. If one day a fish kills me or i turn up as fish food, I won't really feel sad. Cos I've eaten enough of them in my life time.

My family and friends will lament my loss. But i don't really care if anyone else does to be honest.

I can empathise with the family for their sudden loss. Similarly i can empathise with why the animal stabbed it's attacker to the death.

"Tragic? Can you honestly touch your heart and say that you actually find it tragic that these people die?" The most tragic part is "we" do the same as the killer, we execute (kill) them. Does that makes us any better?

"Then i ask you, why is your value of the sanctity of human life so important? What makes us better than them? Just because we are the top of the food chain? Just because we understand the concept of love and family? (that's not even a defence, cos animals understand the concept just as well as us).

It's a human fallacy to find ourselves the center of the universe. We are not." My understanding from your writing here is the other animals are the underdog. The next question then begs, why are you a medical doctor and not a vet? It is the order of nature that we are on top of the food chain and hence that is why we need to respect the living things around us and not make their sacrifices meaningless.

"I like to eat fish, I try to eat fish everyday. If one day a fish kills me or i turn up as fish food, I won't really feel sad. Cos I've eaten enough of them in my life time." I am worried about your thinking process here, you have killed enough of them so killing you by them is OK.

"I can empathise with the family for their sudden loss. Similarly i can empathise with why the animal stabbed it's attacker to the death." Why you can empathise with the family but the person who got killed? I am not sure about big fish ocean fishing, is it "normal" for fishing angler to go into the water to catch their fish? To me it is an unfortunate event but not an orbigoot event. How can you empathise with the fish that stabbed the attacker? For the fish it is a reactionary action and nothing to empathise about.

In horse riding, many young talented athletes met with nasty accidents with severe paralysis and some having neck down paralysis. They know the risk of the sport. For the athletes who suffer the injuries are they orbigoot.

I am against sports fishing but because I am against it does not mean the whole world needs to agree with me. Likewise, the vegans cannot understand why we meat eaters love killing all the loveable animals (including loveable piglets for roasted pig - remember babe the movie). They have all the proofs, that there are many farms who mistreat or ill-treat the animal farms, cows get sodomised, chickens get thrown around like football in farms and so on. For every kilogram of beef we eat, many more co2 are released and many times the feeds in weight the cows have to eat to produce 1 kg of meat. The vegans have a very strong case, then why are we still meat eaters? When there is mad-cow disease outbreak aftecting us humans, do you think it unkind for the vegans to say orbigood to us meat lovers?

I want to believe that this is an unfortunate event that someone has lost a life and not an orbigoot (you derserve it) event.

↡ Advertisement