Beware of scammers

Yewheng

i was caught off-guard when an old friend asked me out for coffee and tricked me to buy the 'sticker' claims to save petrol up to 20%, by pasting the 'sticker' at the back of fuel tank cover. He said market value is $65 and my price is $30. honestly, i would not believe this if i am stopped in the street from a stranger (selling it to me). I trusted him because i didn't expect an old friend would trick me for $30.

I made a police report two days ago (to alert the public and to apprehend him, stop him from committing more cases).

The purpose of writing this is to warn you guys on this trick and/or if you have come across same trick, share with us.

great weekend!

cheers!

Aiya. Don't waste you time reporting to the police la. They won't do anything also. Better spend your time and effort on work and family and making more money.

If you are keen, we can meet up. I have this lobang for you to buy Benjamin shears bridge. Confirm make money one.

↡ Advertisement

i just F a guy claim that he is from singpost but spoke in mandarin, he tried very hard to explain why he speak in mandarin but i just went on and on and on fxxxing him.

He buay tahan and hang up [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 4

i just F a guy claim that he is from singpost but spoke in mandarin, he tried very hard to explain why he speak in mandarin but i just went on and on and on fxxxing him.

You must be tired now after f for so long! Ha ha ha

• Praise 6

Staying one step ahead of conmen to stop scams

A woman in her late 50s went to a bank last Tuesday with a heavy heart and a fervent wish to save a young American doctor she had befriended on Facebook.

He told her he was stranded in a Malaysian airport for carrying more than US$2 million (S$2.8 million), and asked if she could remit another S$53,000, as the S$23,000 she had transferred to pay his fine was not enough. Little did she know that he was not who he claimed to be.

She was saved from parting with more money only when staff at OCBC Bank put a stop to the Internet love scam.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/staying-one-step-ahead-of-conmen-to-stop-scams

no wonder scammers like to target Singaporeans, conversion rate must be pretty good.

Wa lao, those scammers so powerful. Can talk until got people willing to believe and give money. Lucky now banks are going 1 step ahead to try their best to stop those scam from happening. Heng are.. Good improvement I would say.

(edited)

No English? Heard there is English version. Haha

The English one darn funny. The voice of automatic Prc voice accent. I did picked up the call on opening, "This is dbs, we are highlighting that you have..." Within that few seconds I quickly hang the call, it happened about 3 months ago. No time to play with them.. Waste time only..

Edited by Yewheng

(edited)

post-14834-0-64402800-1476528776_thumb.png

The person tio scammed really beyond hope. The staff over there wanted to explain that he/she tio scammed and the person don't believe the staff on the explanation that the staff had to call police to come in. When sense is knocked onto the person head and the staff then return him/her the money. So jia lat that need to go until so extreme to stop the scam..

Edited by Yewheng

OCBC Bank staff went beyond their job scope, well done.  [thumbsup]

Its actually not within their KPI to mitigate stupidity. 

another scam for the week ...

20 say they lost $1m in investment scam

Police confirmed that more than 20 reports have now been lodged against Mr Ang. The alleged victims, mostly in their 20s and early 30s, have set up a WhatsApp chat group to share information.

Their losses are estimated to total more than $1 million, according to fellow victim Lau Cheng Yi. The 22-year-old, who runs a food and beverage business, lost about $55,000 in cash and three luxury watches valued at $72,000 in total.

"He promised returns of 2 to 10 per cent every month," said Mr Lau. "I did not get a single cent and he is now uncontactable."

Mr Lau said he met Mr Ang in March at a roti prata restaurant in Upper Bukit Timah. "He came in a Nissan GTR sports car and was wearing Louboutin shoes and a Rolex watch," Mr Lau said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/20-say-they-lost-1m-in-investment-scam

guess scammers wont look for me, cos I dunno what is Louboutin shoes. GTR and Rolex I know a bit lah ...  [:p] 

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 4

OCBC Bank staff went beyond their job scope, well done. [thumbsup]

Police confirmed that more than 20 reports have now been lodged against Mr Ang. The alleged victims, mostly in their 20s and early 30s, have set up a WhatsApp chat group to share information.

Their losses are estimated to total more than $1 million, according to fellow victim Lau Cheng Yi. The 22-year-old, who runs a food and beverage business, lost about $55,000 in cash and three luxury watches valued at $72,000 in total.

"He promised returns of 2 to 10 per cent every month," said Mr Lau. "I did not get a single cent and he is now uncontactable."

Mr Lau said he met Mr Ang in March at a roti prata restaurant in Upper Bukit Timah. "He came in a Nissan GTR sports car and was wearing Louboutin shoes and a Rolex watch," Mr Lau said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/20-say-they-lost-1m-in-investment-scam

guess scammers wont look for me, cos I dunno what is Louboutin shoes. GTR and Rolex I know a bit lah ... [:p]

Ya that OCBC staff should got good appraisal for that. It's rare to have staff who are passionate and do things the right way even if it means that is not within their jobscope nowadays.

So this staff is good to keep.

• Praise 1

Please don't f him for speaking mandarin.

If they study English then its very hard to 

to tell the conmen next time.

Don't go and teach them their weakness lah.

Just hang up.

:D

Is this a young ladies looking for a good time?

I didn't know got this kind of forum, that's why

I hang around MCF so much, can intro?

Good things he never shared with me.

Keep for himself and having a good time.

guess scammers wont look for me, cos I dunno what is Louboutin shoes. GTR and Rolex I know a bit lah ...  [:p] 

Well done to the ocbc staff :)

Rolex i also know. Wear the $20 type. [:p]

GTR maybe can borrow from friend.

Lou.. what shoes ? No idea. [shakehead]

• Praise 1

Rolex i also know. Wear the $20 type. [:p]

GTR maybe can borrow from friend.

Lou.. what shoes ? No idea. [shakehead]

haha, so we are both from scammers ...  [:p]

most branded shoe I know is Johnston & Murphy, cos Bill was wearing it when Monica was in his orpice.

I've also not heard of these shoes before....

How much do they go for and how to identify them? 

since you ask, I went to Google ...

apparently got boutique at MBS one.

I saw prices ranging from $1k to $3k,

here's the link

http://asia.christianlouboutin.com/sg_en/shop-online/men/men-shoes.html?p=0

look at the design ...  [jawdrop]  , wont be caught dead wearing those, even if they offer me instalment plan  [:p]

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 1

don't sound like scam to me.... more like joint investment be small time bookie.... but 1 person ran off with the money

they think is risk free when they hedge by accepting bets on both teams... and they earn the commission in between

Edited by Galantspeedz

We should set up a Scam Protection Alliance (SPA). Memberships set at 100K per individual. We guarantee you won't be scammed, ever!

Investor alert list:  http://www.mas.gov.sg/IAL.aspx?sc_p=A

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/20-investors-lose-1m-in-scam-some-tell-tale-signs-of-investment-scams

20 investors lose $1m in scam: Some tell-tale signs of investment scams
A scam victim shows his police report. PHOTO: DON WONG FOR THE STRAITS TIMES
PUBLISHED
1 HOUR AGO

SINGAPORE - More than 20 people have lost over $1 million in yet another investment scam, this time involving an offshore betting company.

Convinced they have chanced upon a lucrative scheme, even savvy investors sometimes fall prey to such fraudulent schemes.

The Straits Times looks at investment scams in recent years and what the tell-tale signs of such scams are:

1. WINE AND DIAMONDS

A Dominican man named Guillianno Norberto R Mata Pena was linked to five different companies that have received investor complaints this year.

Mr Mata has been at some point director and shareholder of four Singapore companies - Australian Wine Index (Singapore), The Bottled Wealth Holdings, Emily's Fine Wines and Asia Fine Diamonds - and a Malaysia company, Exquisite Bottle Index.

Customers of Asia Fine Diamonds were told they were buying rare coloured stones. The average cost per diamond was about $15,000.

Investors were promised 15 per cent annual returns on their investment.

Mr Mata was said to have left Singapore.

2. AGARWOOD

Yes, money does not grow on trees, even prized aquilaria trees which are harvested for valuable agarwood or oud oil, used in perfumes and spas.

Tropical Forestry Venture (TFV) sold about 70 investors saplings and young trees from $230 per sapling. Each investor put in from $5,000 to $60,000 and were promised potential returns of three to seven times when the saplings matured in six to seven years.

To complicate the matter, investors were told that another firm, Tropical Forestry Assets Management, had taken over after TFV folded, and they were asked for cash top-ups to maintain or upgrade their trees before they could be harvested for profits.

Some paid in the hope that their investment could be recouped, but it appears that the two firms are unrelated. Complaints were filed against both firms.

3. GOLD

There have been a few variations of gold investment schemes. From Valiant Capital and Suisse International to Genneva Gold and The Gold Guarantee, tens of thousands have lost money to firms hawking the precious metal.

In the case of Valiant Capital, at least half a dozen local investors invested a total of more than $2.5 million with the company.

Director Simon Goh was also accused of cheating Chinese investors via a Shanghai branch office.

4. PROFITABLE PLOTS

The firm's land-banking scheme offered an opportunity to invest in properties in Britain.

Clients were lured with promises of 12.5 per cent returns within six months. Instead, they lost $3.1 million after part of the returns.

It had assured its investors that its products had been pre-sold to major corporations, which turned out to be a lie.

The company's directors, Britons Timothy Goldring and John Nordmann, were jailed for 15 years for cheating investors.

5. SUNSHINE EMPIRE

Charismatic entrepreneur James Phang Wah promised huge returns through his multi-level marketing firm's investment plan.

He lived in a luxurious three-storey landed property in Jurong West and drove a shiny black Mercedes.

Between August 2006 and November 2007, thousands of Singaporeans bought close to 26,000 "lifestyle packages" ranging from $240 to $12,000 from the company.

It turned out to be Singapore's biggest Ponzi scheme to date.

The authorities recovered only $21 million out of more than the nearly $190 million swindled from ordinary Singaporeans.

Here's how to spot scams:

1. UNREALISTIC RETURNS

One common thread from earlier schemes: Investors are  promised huge returns, way above what they can get from conventional investments. At the same time, the potential risks are downplayed.

That is one particularly shrill warning sign, say experts.

2. NOT REGULATED BY MAS

Is the entity regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS)? Those who deal with unauthorised individuals and firms forgo the protection afforded under the laws administered by the MAS, especially if they are based overseas.

3. MAS INVESTOR ALERT LIST

Check this list before shelling out any money.

The investor alert list provides a listing of unregulated persons who may have been wrongly perceived as being licensed or authorised by MAS.

4. DUE DILIGENCE

Ask for brochures and documents such as sales agreements so you can review them and check the legal terms. It is also prudent to find out the jurisdictions that the companies operate in.

The company registration dates and paid up capital of the firms can be obtained from the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority for a small fee.

Do not invest just based on the recommendations of relatives and friends.

5. LOOK BEYOND THE SURFACE

In many cases, the companies have luxurious premises adorned with signs of wealth, and their bosses drive expensive cars and don expensive watches.

While such displays of wealth are not signs of a scam, investors should not take them as a gauge of the company's reliability.

• Praise 3

We should set up a Scam Protection Alliance (SPA). Memberships set at 100K per individual. We guarantee you won't be scammed, ever!

Investor alert list:  http://www.mas.gov.sg/IAL.aspx?sc_p=A

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/20-investors-lose-1m-in-scam-some-tell-tale-signs-of-investment-scams

20 investors lose $1m in scam: Some tell-tale signs of investment scams
A scam victim shows his police report. PHOTO: DON WONG FOR THE STRAITS TIMES
PUBLISHED

SINGAPORE - More than 20 people have lost over $1 million in yet another investment scam, this time involving an offshore betting company.

Convinced they have chanced upon a lucrative scheme, even savvy investors sometimes fall prey to such fraudulent schemes.

The Straits Times looks at investment scams in recent years and what the tell-tale signs of such scams are:

1. WINE AND DIAMONDS

A Dominican man named Guillianno Norberto R Mata Pena was linked to five different companies that have received investor complaints this year.

Mr Mata has been at some point director and shareholder of four Singapore companies - Australian Wine Index (Singapore), The Bottled Wealth Holdings, Emily's Fine Wines and Asia Fine Diamonds - and a Malaysia company, Exquisite Bottle Index.

Customers of Asia Fine Diamonds were told they were buying rare coloured stones. The average cost per diamond was about $15,000.

Investors were promised 15 per cent annual returns on their investment.

Mr Mata was said to have left Singapore.

2. AGARWOOD

Yes, money does not grow on trees, even prized aquilaria trees which are harvested for valuable agarwood or oud oil, used in perfumes and spas.

Tropical Forestry Venture (TFV) sold about 70 investors saplings and young trees from $230 per sapling. Each investor put in from $5,000 to $60,000 and were promised potential returns of three to seven times when the saplings matured in six to seven years.

To complicate the matter, investors were told that another firm, Tropical Forestry Assets Management, had taken over after TFV folded, and they were asked for cash top-ups to maintain or upgrade their trees before they could be harvested for profits.

Some paid in the hope that their investment could be recouped, but it appears that the two firms are unrelated. Complaints were filed against both firms.

3. GOLD

There have been a few variations of gold investment schemes. From Valiant Capital and Suisse International to Genneva Gold and The Gold Guarantee, tens of thousands have lost money to firms hawking the precious metal.

In the case of Valiant Capital, at least half a dozen local investors invested a total of more than $2.5 million with the company.

Director Simon Goh was also accused of cheating Chinese investors via a Shanghai branch office.

4. PROFITABLE PLOTS

The firm's land-banking scheme offered an opportunity to invest in properties in Britain.

Clients were lured with promises of 12.5 per cent returns within six months. Instead, they lost $3.1 million after part of the returns.

It had assured its investors that its products had been pre-sold to major corporations, which turned out to be a lie.

The company's directors, Britons Timothy Goldring and John Nordmann, were jailed for 15 years for cheating investors.

5. SUNSHINE EMPIRE

Charismatic entrepreneur James Phang Wah promised huge returns through his multi-level marketing firm's investment plan.

sunshine_empire_james_phang_wah.jpg?itok
He lived in a luxurious three-storey landed property in Jurong West and drove a shiny black Mercedes.

Between August 2006 and November 2007, thousands of Singaporeans bought close to 26,000 "lifestyle packages" ranging from $240 to $12,000 from the company.

It turned out to be Singapore's biggest Ponzi scheme to date.

The authorities recovered only $21 million out of more than the nearly $190 million swindled from ordinary Singaporeans.

one word : GREED 

This mata England level is sibeh high. His use of punctuation is also sibeh tok gong. He accepts cash or cheque.

14691007_1327114857301711_57687198413124

Edited by Jellandross
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3