Beware of scammers

Yewheng

Turbocharged

Talking about this, a bank in Singapore already start to use voice automated system to verify the person for authentication purposes. The call agent even went to the point to ask me whether want to register for voice recognition so that next time when call in, no need so troublesome just use voice can authenticate already. I straightaway tell him no.

To me this is very scary and also a very stupid idea to come out with voice authentication. This is just an kay kang job or those people who got nothing better to do and just want to please the boss and come out with this voice authentication thing. So well.. Hopefully they could reverse out this voice authentication thing as it does not improve security at all and just a gimmicks to prove for a false sense of security.

Don't just say 'a bank', name please... I wanna close that account if I have one with them....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Twincharged

Don't just say 'a bank', name please... I wanna close that account if I have one with them....

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

So basically every bank haha.

As far as I know currently only 1 bank, I maybe wrong as I had called all the banks ( sorry not all, ANZ, Maybank, bank of China I did not call) in Singapore recently.

Maybe the rest is joining very soon. So in future all banks will have voice authentication feature..

Edited by Yewheng

Supersonic

As far as I know currently only 1 bank, I maybe wrong as I had called all the banks ( sorry not all, ANZ, Maybank, bank of China I did not call) in Singapore recently.

Maybe the rest is joining very soon. So in future all banks will have voice authentication feature..

The article you quoted mentioned DBS, OCBC and Citibank.

Twincharged

The article you quoted mentioned DBS, OCBC and Citibank.

Ya recently I caller dbs, ocbc they did not ask whether want to register voice recognition. So I assume they haven't implement it yet.

Seem like they like to use wechat, knowing the chat mainly used by PRC and surely kena scam. One chinese restaurant i went to insist i scan the QR code in wechat to 'enjoy' freebies in next visit. I told them neither me or my family have wechat and they look so surprise  [:|]  [:|]

Victims of scams on WeChat lost over $70,000
PUBLISHED 5 HOURS AGO
Lester Wong

Many victims have been cheated by scammers operating on Chinese social media app WeChat, the Singapore Police Force said yesterday. In all, more than $70,000 was lost by those who reported the scam.

The scammers had promised to sell various items, such as online gaming credits or foreign currency, at attractive rates.

For example, victims playing Chinese online games would encounter a pop-up window advertising the sale of in-game credits at an attractive discount. This pop-up would instruct people to add the scammer on WeChat and register for accounts on a website so they could receive the credits. The registration would require the victims' personal particulars and bank account details. The scammers did not deliver the in-game credits after the victims paid up and they became uncontactable on WeChat.

Others responding to advertisements offering online money changing services at attractive rates were also asked to add the scammers on WeChat. The victims were asked to transfer money to local bank accounts to receive the currencies in the victims' WeChat/Alipay accounts. But after payments were made, the victims also did not receive any money from the scammers, who would also block the victim on WeChat and become uncontactable.

Police have the following advice:

• Exercise caution when responding to online advertisements. If the offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

• Bear in mind that the party you are dealing with online is a stranger. Avoid engaging in a transaction if you are required to communicate with the other party outside of the website.

• Do not disclose personal information like your bank account details over the Internet.

• Use the services of licensed money changers. It is against the law for anyone to operate a money-changing business without a valid licence from the Monetary Authority of Singapore.

• When in doubt, call the anti-scam helpline at 1800-722-6688 or visit www.scamalert.sg.

Seem like they like to use wechat, knowing the chat mainly used by PRC and surely kena scam. One chinese restaurant i went to insist i scan the QR code in wechat to 'enjoy' freebies in next visit. I told them neither me or my family have wechat and they look so surprise  [:|]  [:|]

I have Wechat and only use with my wife. She prefer Wechat cos can reply with cartoon icons like these :

rabbids-invasion-animation.jpg

80d49ea757bef5abe815ef48cb89e88b.jpg

• Praise 2

Investors file police reports against property company

A land-banking scheme that offered attractive returns for cash investments in real estate in the United States and Canada has come under the spotlight.

Five investors who claimed they put an aggregate of more than $1 million into A2A Capital Management's projects between 2011 and 2014 have filed police reports against A2A. It is believed that many more investors in Singapore have invested with the property development and investment firm, which lists about 15 real estate investment projects on its website.

A2A was placed on the investor alert list of the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) on March 23. It "provides a listing of unregulated persons who, based on information received by MAS, may have been wrongly perceived as being licensed or authorised by MAS", according to the MAS website.

The firm was set up in 2009 and has a paid-up capital of $100, records from the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority show. A2A has vacated its office in Raffles Place and moved to the Philippines.

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/investors-file-police-reports-against-property-company

another one ... somehow people don't learn ... sigh ...  :lll._.: 

Twincharged

Investors file police reports against property company

A land-banking scheme that offered attractive returns for cash investments in real estate in the United States and Canada has come under the spotlight.

Five investors who claimed they put an aggregate of more than $1 million into A2A Capital Management's projects between 2011 and 2014 have filed police reports against A2A. It is believed that many more investors in Singapore have invested with the property development and investment firm, which lists about 15 real estate investment projects on its website.

A2A was placed on the investor alert list of the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) on March 23. It "provides a listing of unregulated persons who, based on information received by MAS, may have been wrongly perceived as being licensed or authorised by MAS", according to the MAS website.

The firm was set up in 2009 and has a paid-up capital of $100, records from the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority show. A2A has vacated its office in Raffles Place and moved to the Philippines.

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/investors-file-police-reports-against-property-company

another one ... somehow people don't learn ... sigh ... :lll._.:

So now they move to Phillipines to con more people.. Haha

• Praise 1

So now they move to Phillipines to con more people.. Haha

Yeah, to move out of SG jurisdiction too.

Same pattern every time, people get impressed by a nice office or a nice bungalow + Merc / BMW in the driveway and will put in their hard earned money. sigh ...

I think they will deliver ba... else, they will see lots of unsettle ghosts in their premises :D

lol. yah lor. later earn so much money also cannot spend. haha!

↡ Advertisement