Removing stubborn spark plug

Alpha

dear brothers/sisters,

anyone can advice how to remove spark plug that is stuck to the car? mechanic managed to remove 3 out of 4.

now left one and the mechanic say its dangerous to remove, might result in engine need to be removed.

google and found some results like spraying WD40 or on the engine make it warm then easier to remove.

thanks in advance for any advice given!

↡ Advertisement

dear brothers/sisters,

anyone can advice how to remove spark plug that is stuck to the car? mechanic managed to remove 3 out of 4.

now left one and the mechanic say its dangerous to remove, might result in engine need to be removed.

google and found some results like spraying WD40 or on the engine make it warm then easier to remove.

what happen to the stuck spark plug? too long never change or take out to check during servicing? or simply it rusted or thread of the plug is damaged?

• Praise 1

what happen to the stuck spark plug? too long never change or take out to check during servicing? or simply it rusted or thread of the plug is damaged?

i bought this car close in Sept 2013 at 14,000km and was an OPC sunny.

the previous owner probably went for the standard 1,000km and 10,000km servicing. Not sure if plugs were changed there and then.

when I took over the car, I went for servicing too. and mechanics informed me no need to change plugs etc when asked to check.

and this goes on for the next 2 to 3 servicing. until recently I found it not so smooth in starting the car.

the main workshop diagnosed as stuck and quoted around more than $500 to remove the plugs.

still not sure what happened to the plugs though.

Only need to remove the engine head, not the entire engine lah.

Immerse the engine head in kerosene for a couple days.

if they use your method and quote me more than $500 then would be unfair for me. haha

(edited)

i bought this car close in Sept 2013 at 14,000km and was an OPC sunny.

the previous owner probably went for the standard 1,000km and 10,000km servicing. Not sure if plugs were changed there and then.

when I took over the car, I went for servicing too. and mechanics informed me no need to change plugs etc when asked to check.

and this goes on for the next 2 to 3 servicing. until recently I found it not so smooth in starting the car.

the main workshop diagnosed as stuck and quoted around more than $500 to remove the plugs.

still not sure what happened to the plugs though.

if they use your method and quote me more than $500 then would be unfair for me. haha

You have to factor in the time and labour cost. It might seem like a simple job to you but if the threaded hole for the spark plug is damaged you can't repair it and you have to get a new engine head(more cost). The spark plug has to be tighten to form a complete seal for the combustion chamber. If the the threaded hole is damaged and the spark plug cannot be tighten excess air will enter that combustion chamber and so will fuel and exhaust air leak out. It will cause more damage to your engine and you will end up crying with no tears.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

You have to factor in the time and labour cost. It might seem like a simple job to you but if the threaded hole for the spark plug is damaged you can't repair it and you have to get a new engine head(more cost). The spark plug has to be tighten to form a complete seal for the combustion chamber. If the the threaded hole is damaged and the spark plug cannot be tighten excess air will enter that combustion chamber and so will fuel and exhaust air leak out. It will cause more damage to your engine and you will end up crying with no tears.

Yeah they have explained to me the exact same thing u mentioned. That's why need to rectify it asap before it gets worst.

dear brothers/sisters,

May I ask, who install the sparkplug for u? why is the fellow make it so tight?

• Praise 1

May I ask, who install the sparkplug for u? why is the fellow make it so tight?

spark plug was from previous owner time. I guess the root cause would be the plug is in the car for too long.

if all 4 plugs were installed at same time, then the mechanic would have used equal strength, just assumption only.

or he purposely last one put tighter thinking the previous owner wont come back to him service? haha

spark plug was from previous owner time. I guess the root cause would be the plug is in the car for too long.

if all 4 plugs were installed at same time, then the mechanic would have used equal strength, just assumption only.

or he purposely last one put tighter thinking the previous owner wont come back to him service? haha

if spark plug being in the car for too long is the root cause, every car using long life (i.e. 100,000km) spark plugs will have stuck spark plugs...

Supersonic

Spark plug is most likely overtightened.

A thin coat of oil or anti-seize is recommended to be applied on the thread to prevent such incident.

• Praise 1

Spark plug is most likely overtightened.

A thin coat of oil or anti-seize is recommended to be applied on the thread to prevent such incident.

I hope its not overtightened, if not pocket sure burnt.

Malaysian mechanics love to over tighten nuts, bolts, plugs.....

you mean the Malaysian mechanics in Singapore? now hard to find Sporean mechanics.

if spark plug being in the car for too long is the root cause, every car using long life (i.e. 100,000km) spark plugs will have stuck spark plugs...

i don't mean other cars. for my car, was bought between 6th to 7th year and mileage was 14,000km. meaning was super under utilised.

mayb by the time due for scrap also cant hit 100,000km.

Supersonic

Mechanics like to overtighten everything.

I had to use a breaker bar recently to remove a oil drain plug.

When I asked the owner, he had previously serviced it at Autobacs.

yes, everything they will also over tighten be it here or in MY.

I hope its not overtightened, if not pocket sure burnt.

you mean the Malaysian mechanics in Singapore? now hard to find Sporean mechanics.

i don't mean other cars. for my car, was bought between 6th to 7th year and mileage was 14,000km. meaning was super under utilised.

mayb by the time due for scrap also cant hit 100,000km.

sigh, not sure why you didn't understand. you change spark plugs after 8 years (assuming the previous spark plugs are the original since the car only had 14,000km on it). many cars that comes with long life spark plugs will also change spark plugs for the first time at around 8 years, (12,500km per year is not uncommon). if you are saying time of spark plug use is a factor, then many of these long life spark plug owners will have the same problem, which I really doubt so.

(edited)

Thats y i prefer to maintain my car, myself... sparkplug installation is a very simple work, and the sparkplug doesnt need to be overtighten. Its not there to lock down 2 piece of big metal or some important parts... Anyway, I believe its most likely done be some intern or new mechanics thats doig OJT.

If I were you, just spray the sparkplug hole with plenty of WD 40. let it soak overnight dont worry if the wd40 goes into your combustion chamber, I ever pour over a liter of MMO in there to soak and clean the piston, so long you use a long dry cloth to absorb the excessive left over oil, a little bit of left over wont cause hydrolock to your engine.

Edited by Tigershark1976
  • Praise 5

sigh, not sure why you didn't understand. you change spark plugs after 8 years (assuming the previous spark plugs are the original since the car only had 14,000km on it). many cars that comes with long life spark plugs will also change spark plugs for the first time at around 8 years, (12,500km per year is not uncommon). if you are saying time of spark plug use is a factor, then many of these long life spark plug owners will have the same problem, which I really doubt so.

Sorry to have misunderstood what you said. you are right, with all the high mileage plugs in market.

Thats y i prefer to maintain my car, myself... sparkplug installation is a very simple work, and the sparkplug doesnt need to be overtighten. Its not there to lock down 2 piece of big metal or some important parts... Anyway, I believe its most likely done be some intern or new mechanics thats doig OJT.

If I were you, just spray the sparkplug hole with plenty of WD 40. let it soak overnight dont worry if the wd40 goes into your combustion chamber, I ever pour over a liter of MMO in there to soak and clean the piston, so long you use a long dry cloth to absorb the excessive left over oil, a little bit of left over wont cause hydrolock to your engine.

yeah this was one of the solutions found when I google it.

↡ Advertisement