Discussion for Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class

Dice

Must understand your car and know when is the right time to push and how much to push

Only idiots will just slam on the pedal.

Throttle control is very important for pure RWD car in excess of 300bhp especially.

But i not like you.

I never drive like a hooligan.

i just own the road.

↡ Advertisement

why buy Rolex when Seiko can tell time somemore got Daytona lookalike ... serious question [sly][laugh]

Someone has asked me why even buy a watch when ur handphone can tell u time too

Twincharged

Tall high CG cars like SUVs will benefit from a wide wheel tracks and full time AWD to help with lowering the CG and improving stability. 

Have to really own a full time AWD vehicle for a period longer than a test drive duration to appreciate the benefit and assurance it gives. If one is sensitive enough to what goes on between the tires and the road, one don't need to drive like a hooligan to appreciate the nuances in maximum grip afforded by a real full time AWD. 

For those with the opportunity to take one AWD vehicle for a spin, just try powering up or down one of those curve joining ramps of expressways eg. ECP, down ramp of the Benjamin Sheares towards Suntec.

For RWD cars, especially those with high torque, try accelerating after the rear wheels pass a hump on a wet day, see how quickly your ESP kicks in to cut power to your rear wheels. Now try again with a full time AWD vehicle on the same stretch accelerating.

These are just some of the tangible benefit of a full time AWD over RWD/FWD in daily non-hooligan driving situations.

Then again, just like how some drivers appreciate Altis/Vezel as a good car because it brings them from point A to B without excitement or fuss, there will be a group of drivers who cannot appreciate the real world difference among RWD/FWD/AWD vehicle. 

So, no point in spending more for something you do not appreciate or can harness the benefit. Just like I don't see a need to spend my money on rolex or cigars simply because I don't know how to appreciate them.

well said.

But the need for AWD is only apparent in slippery conditions or with a torquey and powerful engine.

AWD on especially the 100bhp 1.6 subaru impreza is over-rated and unnecessary in Singapore. its like a 4wd kei car in japan where it helps only on icy roads. Else its just added weight and drag. 100bhp just doesn't have the power to break traction to matter. yes we have wet roads but unless you fling the car and stab the pedal to the metal. even then i doubt 4wd with 100bhp help to power you out of danger.

IMHO i find it odd that many says 4WD/AWD makes them feel safer in a 100bhp impreza. i just cannot fathom how so.

Edited by Mkl22

Car topic become watch topic... haha ... AWD is def good to have but sometimes is really about psychological effect. Just like petrol 98 vs 95 ... I don't feel any diff leh (even my fren working inside also say feel not diff) but for sure there is a diff that's why got 2 category mah... And ya well said about appreciating it... Some like to spend on brands, some like to spend on liquor & beer. Those who drive many years I think given a AWD or a RWD car also can't feel the diff. Or maybe is only me... haha. My fren drove many cars b4, from Rex STI & many cars in btwn to current XT & wana change back to sedan never rave about the AWD in his XT and req another AWD in his nxt car....

Agree that in lower powered car like the subaru TS AWD effect is not justified.

The only way I figure how it contributes to the claimed safer feeling is the additional weight at the bottom of the chasis from the additional rear differentials combined with the low lying boxer engine makes the car's CG lower than the average 1.6l sedans. That makes it very stable going about bends and curves albeit slowly with the low hp.

Effective or not, can't really comment cos never driven one.

But i can vouch for a 2.5T flat 4 boxer with AWD how much confidence it gives going about when wet slippery bends and curves. 

well said.

But the need for AWD is only apparent in slippery conditions or with a torquey and powerful engine.

AWD on especially the 100bhp 1.6 subaru impreza is over-rated and unnecessary in Singapore. its like a 4wd kei car in japan where it helps only on icy roads. Else its just added weight and drag. 100bhp just doesn't have the power to break traction to matter. yes we have wet roads but unless you fling the car and stab the pedal to the metal. even then i doubt 4wd with 100bhp help to power you out of danger.

IMHO i find it odd that many says 4WD/AWD makes them feel safer in a 100bhp impreza. i just cannot fathom how so.

Yes, AWD is a good to have, not a must have.

Anyway, I feel that RWD GLC will have it's share of fun as the dynamics will be different. Based on what I read from overseas forum, owners of GLC300 in RWD seem to be a happy bunch with no complaints whatsoever. 

I am sure you will enjoy your ride equally when it comes!  [thumbsup]

When is your delivery date? Maybe can meetup for a cup of kopi and share with you some of my upgrades and molest your brand new car! 

Car topic become watch topic... haha ... AWD is def good to have but sometimes is really about psychological effect. Just like petrol 98 vs 95 ... I don't feel any diff leh (even my fren working inside also say feel not diff) but for sure there is a diff that's why got 2 category mah... And ya well said about appreciating it... Some like to spend on brands, some like to spend on liquor & beer. Those who drive many years I think given a AWD or a RWD car also can't feel the diff. Or maybe is only me... haha. My fren drove many cars b4, from Rex STI & many cars in btwn to current XT & wana change back to sedan never rave about the AWD in his XT and req another AWD in his nxt car....

Yes, AWD is a good to have, not a must have.

Anyway, I feel that RWD GLC will have it's share of fun as the dynamics will be different. Based on what I read from overseas forum, owners of GLC300 in RWD seem to be a happy bunch with no complaints whatsoever.

I am sure you will enjoy your ride equally when it comes! [thumbsup]

When is your delivery date? Maybe can meetup for a cup of kopi and share with you some of my upgrades and molest your brand new car!

My delivery Dec ... oh yes have to see car .. yr car look impressive inside out esp with that true AMG steering wheel sia ....

Not true AMG steering wheel lah.  Just an el-cheapo minor DIY 60% for vanity and 40% to improve the grip (thicker and more textured)

If you prefer a thicker grip for your steering, you can consider getting the leather wrap for your ride when it arrives. 

Did you ask your SE to give you the list of features that your GLC is supposed to come with? I know SE likes to tell you what you see is what you get except for certain feature differences. Wouldn't hurt to send them a full list of features you see on the GLC250 on display except for the features that they told u the 200 will be without. Ask the SE to line by line a knowledge that your car will come with these features. 

That will be a documentary proof to hold C&C responsible if your car arrives with less than promised features. This is especially so with a model that have yet to arrive in Singapore. 

I did the above for my GLC250, because i added AMG-line + pano roof, I saw that some PI AMG Line cars interior do not have the dash stitching. I was concerned that adding the AMG Line might automatically mean the dash stitching will be deleted by the factory. So i sent my SE the email with the full list of features i am expecting and she verified line by line what my car will be delivered with. True enough, my delivery was without unpleasant surprises. 

Just a little tip for you. 

My delivery Dec ... oh yes have to see car .. yr car look impressive inside out esp with that true AMG steering wheel sia ....

Not true AMG steering wheel lah. Just an el-cheapo minor DIY 60% for vanity and 40% to improve the grip (thicker and more textured)

If you prefer a thicker grip for your steering, you can consider getting the leather wrap for your ride when it arrives.

Did you ask your SE to give you the list of features that your GLC is supposed to come with? I know SE likes to tell you what you see is what you get except for certain feature differences. Wouldn't hurt to send them a full list of features you see on the GLC250 on display except for the features that they told u the 200 will be without. Ask the SE to line by line a knowledge that your car will come with these features.

That will be a documentary proof to hold C&C responsible if your car arrives with less than promised features. This is especially so with a model that have yet to arrive in Singapore.

I did the above for my GLC250, because i added AMG-line + pano roof, I saw that some PI AMG Line cars interior do not have the dash stitching. I was concerned that adding the AMG Line might automatically mean the dash stitching will be deleted by the factory. So i sent my SE the email with the full list of features i am expecting and she verified line by line what my car will be delivered with. True enough, my delivery was without unpleasant surprises.

Did u get your GLC from C&C?

My SE said she can't confirm if AMG line interior has the dashboard stitching.

Maverick

Yup, mine from C&C. 

PM you the email reply from my SE. For your reference only, please do not disseminate.

Each SE style is different, just urge your SE to check with manager in charge of placing the order with Germany factory. They have line code for each and every feature, impossible that they do not have such information. 

Did u get your GLC from C&C?
My SE said she can't confirm if AMG line interior has the dashboard stitching.

Maverick

Yup, mine from C&C.

PM you the email reply from my SE. For your reference only, please do not disseminate.

Each SE style is different, just urge your SE to check with manager in charge of placing the order with Germany factory. They have line code for each and every feature, impossible that they do not have such information.

Thanks!

For those ordering your GLC with RFT, MB Germany will ship these GLC without a car jack and TIREFIT. 

So if you are intending to swap out your RFT for non- RFT after delivery, better to start sourcing for a 3rd party car jack and a tire repair kit.  [;)]

• Praise 1

well said.

I've fishtailed my Kia Rio 1.3, mind you. That was sub-100hp for sure.

Almost one and a half decades since then, so I can't remember the exact circumstances, but it could've been an uneven road condition coupled with braking at exactly the wrong time - I did use to drive the absolute snot out of that thing. Anyway, the rears lost traction while that ass was wiggling both ways. In traffic. Luckily, I recovered the car quickly without incident.

Underpowered FWD cars can lose rear traction. Ceteris paribus, AWD would've kept the car more planted.

I've owned a few AWD cars through the years (look at my handle, haha). But ultimately, I find them rather boring. There's a certain excitement in driving a RWD car. But one has to learn to respect the car, especially at higher torque levels.

For those ordering your GLC with RFT, MB Germany will ship these GLC without a car jack and TIREFIT. 

So if you are intending to swap out your RFT for non- RFT after delivery, better to start sourcing for a 3rd party car jack and a tire repair kit.  [;)]

You work parttime for C& C?   :D

• Haha! 1

I wish.....then maybe I can afford the AMG GT :D

You can la ...... I see you very up (not that thing betw there ) ... just up .  :XD:

• Praise 8

Not true AMG steering wheel lah. Just an el-cheapo minor DIY 60% for vanity and 40% to improve the grip (thicker and more textured)

Thanks for the reminder.... the features list are exactly the same as the 250. No more no less. Those SE are using 250 equipment list and present to potential custoners. Some fine details like stitching I do agree have to state clearly cos SE themselves they duno also I suppose. As mention b4 no side step, no front sump shield, rim design change but still on 18 and become RWD with lesser power. Thus it explain the price diff by 10k only or ($5k technically speaking). Still overpriced ... haha... I will ask my SE again to play safe perhaps... cos I ask her a couple of time b4 booking. Sekali now she flip say different thing I Jialat ...

↡ Advertisement