Qatar Airways Boeing 787 Economy Class Seats - Very Cramped

Boringchap

(edited)

Beware, if you are thinking of flying with Qatar Airways. They have Boeing 787 Dreamliners (I think 30). The Economy class seats are incredibly cramped.

We flew to London with Qatar and on 2 of the 4 legs, we had the Boeing 787.

The flights
Singapore to Doha QR 945, departing SIN at 0230 - Boeing 787-800
Doha to London Heathrow QR 011 departing DOH at 0550 - Airbus A340
(45 minute layover at Doha)
For the return
London Heathrow to Doha, QR 002 - departing LHR at 2130 - Boeing 787-800
Doha to Singapore, QR 938 - departing at DOH at 0700 - Airbus A350 (very new plane!)

I made some flight review videos, if you are interested to see the cabin.

Singapore to Doha

https://youtu.be/HEAy1KHMVtw

London to Doha

https://youtu.be/_bkNZfvfFf4

On a more positive note, the rest of the experience was good. The new Airbus A350 and the older Airbus A340 product was good too. So, it is just this Boeing 787 product.

Qatar Airways Boeing 787 Singapore to Doha
This is the flight review video - https://youtu.be/HEAy1KHMVtw
This was the very first leg, Singapore to Doha. The flight would depart SIN at 0230. By that time, we were all very sleepy.
A picture of the departures that early morning.
a0uys0.jpg
Fortunately, Changi Airport had some loungers where we could snooze a bit. The loungers were very popular though. That area of the airport was very quiet and you could look at some plants and even a small water feature.
wqt4cn.jpg
Boarding was smooth and departure was slightly early, which was good because our connection at Doha was 45 minutes and we were wondering whether we could make the connection. The flight from Singapore to Doha would take about 7 hours.
23nwx5.jpg
Now, I begin my rant. They call the Boeing 787 the Dreamliner, but it is certainly no dream sitting in the Economy class. Why? The seats are awfully cramped and the legroom is crazily tight. Even my kids felt a bit squashed and they are small in size.
The Boeing 787 in Economy is in a 3-3-3 configuration. I went into lots of detail about this point in my flight review video. But here are some pictures to illustrate my point.
This picture shows you the legroom available and the infamous IFE box, which takes up some space. The remaining space in front of my can barely take my backpack, which is by no means big.
5dw8hs.jpg
This picture shows you my legs in that small space.
1zq7ayp.jpg
Another picture showing you the cramped seat and legroom. I guess for a short flight, say 2-3 hours, it is still ok. But for a red-eye, it is a completely different proposition.
25hlogz.jpg
Do watch my video as I show you more of the cramped seating and I also take a walk around the cabin and you can see for yourselves the seating situation.

To be fair to Qatar, other than the cramped seats on the B787 (which you can appreciate is a big deal given that we spend 99% of our time in the seat during a flight), all other aspects of the flight was very good, if not excellent.
International crew was attentive and very pleasant. Service was prompt. The IFE system was very modern.
Shortly after takeoff, we were served with a sandwich snack. These were warm sandwiches as well as a nice piece of warm cake. They were delicious. You could have a full bar service with your sandwich, that was nice.
f4icnb.jpg
Thereafter they turned off the cabin lights so that we could get some sleep. 2 hours before landing, they served a full meal (breakfast).
zn6cky.jpg
We landed early, which was a relief. To my surprise, we didn't have an aerobridge. We had to be take an airport bus to the terminal. However, while on the bus, I noticed that there were many empty aero-bridges. Strange. Were they deliberately creating work for the buses? I don't know.
Here is a picture taken while boarding the airport bus at Doha Airport. The ground crew were unloading luggage, especially those that required rapid transfer.
2rhpe1g.jpg
Anyway, do watch my review video if you want to see more, including the cabin, the food and even the bus ride from the plane to the terminal at Doha.

Qatar Airways Boeing 787 London to Doha, Flight QR2.
This was the flight back to Singapore, via Doha, on our way home. We had a good holiday in London. Now, it was time to go home. Departure was from London Heathrow Terminal 4. I spent quite some time at the Observation Deck and made a number of videos, see this link - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1686930-viewheathrow-london-heathrow-terminal-4-a.html
This is the flight review video.
Gate 22 was the Boarding Gate. It was a short walk from the main terminal.
28ins4w.jpg
Read this sign.
2dtt206.jpg
Some planes parked at Terminal 4. We would be walking over to the other side for Gates 22-25.
29wqrvb.jpg
That would be our ride to Doha. Qatar Airways Boeing 787 Dreamliner, A7-BCK.
dzhwz7.jpg
Spotted this plane coming in. Air One. Airbus A320. I checked wikipedia which reported that this company has ceased operations in 30 Oct 2014. So this plane is now operated by Alitalia?
2lk43ro.jpg
Boarding was quick and smooth and we got to our seats quickly. Now, in my last report, I had already made a big deal about the cramped seat. That left me thinking, what else can I do to illustrate to readers just how narrow the seat is? An idea struck me, let's do a selfie. Check out this photo of me.
2rdw13q.jpg
I am seated upright, leaning back against the seat fully, with shoulders touching the seat. Look where my shoulders fall and look where my arms are, in this relaxed position. I am by no means a big guy. To be more specific, I am about 5"9 and weigh around 160 pounds. And that's how cramped the seat is for somebody like me. See also the video, where I did a video version of the selfie, just to make the point clear to all interested viewers.
Alright, it would take 6.5 hours to Doha.
ws2u5i.jpg
In the air. The main meal was served and I chose the beef. It was pretty good.
ke6miq.jpg
The meal came with this small piece of chocolate, which was very good.
xfwc93.jpg
Fortunately for me, the load on this leg was light enough such that the seat in between me and the other chap on the other aisle seat was empty. Phew! Much more comfortable. At least I managed to catch some sleep. Woke up about 2 hours before landing.
15me7w1.jpg
This was the breakfast snack, which was pretty good. All the snacks we had on Qatar were good.
25kq4py.jpg
We were put in a holding position before landing and that got me a bit anxious since our connection was only 45 minutes. Anyway, I figured the next plane would wait for us (I hope!). I took this photo to show you a comfortable leg position. Obviously, such a position is not possible if the middle seat is taken.
ogxehg.jpg
This would be the typical position for my legs if the middle seat were taken. You can see that it would NOT be comfortable at all, especially if you are trying to sleep!
n2khux.jpg
Despite the holding pattern over Doha, I think we still landed on schedule. Again, we had to be bussed to the terminal.
e62615.jpg
Oh well, at least I had an empty seat beside me for this London to Doha leg. That made the flight very much more comfortable.
Edited by Boringchap
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Turbocharged
(edited)

Agreed on the cramp leg space width wise for Qatar's Boeing 787 Y product.

I took the same flight as you last year to Doha but heading to Athens.

Catering is decent. No complaints.

Edited by Sabian

When you recline on the 787, does the back goes down or the bottom seat slides infront?

I took ANA's 787 and its the latter. Swore off their 787 since then. Made the already cramped legroom even worse when reclined.

Twincharged

Was it only the left seat with the box that made it cramped? I know on sq 777-200 they have the entertainment system control box on the left seat of the Center block which eats up leg room. The middle and right seats are fine.

Turbocharged

When you recline on the 787, does the back goes down or the bottom seat slides infront?

I took ANA's 787 and its the latter. Swore off their 787 since then. Made the already cramped legroom even worse when reclined.

Seats on the aircraft are chosen by the airlines themselves.

So the same aircraft type in 2 different airlines may have different type of seats.

Was it only the left seat with the box that made it cramped? I know on sq 777-200 they have the entertainment system control box on the left seat of the Center block which eats up leg room. The middle and right seats are fine.

If i recall correctly, every seat is has a box below.

If you look careful, I understand that either or both Qatar and Emirates have in the economy, 10 seats in a row unlike other airlines with 9 seats in a row.

I think this explains why seats are cramp.

• Praise 2

Very very good write up with nice and useful pictures!!!

I have not taken Qatar airline before but have taken Emirates a few years ago, not sure which plane probably 777 something. 7 hours to Brisbane, seat still ok for, probably of my average size.

One of the worst airline that I have taken is United (to Hong Kong), really cramped seats and poor service.

Seats on the aircraft are chosen by the airlines themselves.

So the same aircraft type in 2 different airlines may have different type of seats.

If i recall correctly, every seat is has a box below.

The Boeing 787 was in a 3-3-3 config. For both flights, I was seated in an aisle seat, in the middle block.

See this photo. I noticed the center of the 3 seats did not have a box, so the chap sitting in the center would have more leg-room. However, the center person would be squashed on both sides!

If you look careful, I understand that either or both Qatar and Emirates have in the economy, 10 seats in a row unlike other airlines with 9 seats in a row.

I think this explains why seats are cramp.

Which aircraft type are you referring to?

Emirates currently does not fly the Boeing 787. Their A380 seat config in Economy is 3-4-3, which is typical of A380s. I've flown with Emirates on their A380 and the service and flight experience was very good.

I think this cramped seating problem is unique to the Boeing 787. Not just Qatar, but quite a few other major airlines have also deployed the 3-3-3 config in Economy. I read that the 787 was designed for a 2-4-2 config in Economy (i.e. 8 abreast).

post-67319-0-51340500-1434272032_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I flew Qatar -Milan return. Not the best experience. Seat is cramp and full of Indians.

If stop over in Qatar -

they could be the massive Indian migrant workforce in building sector. Building for the FIFA world cup is one of the biggest works in recent times.

• Praise 1

Not only 787s but soon 777 as well.

Its Boeing's policy to squeeze more seats

to get more airlines to buy its planes by

squeezing more self loading cargo to make

more profits.

:D

Boeing really wants you to squeeze into the bathrooms on its planes

Boeing is going to update its popular 777-300ER wide-body airliners with even smaller bathrooms.

You read that right. Smaller. Bathrooms.

The bathrooms on a modern airliner are already not exactly models of roominess. The tiny 3X3 compartments are barely large enough for a normal-sized human being to move around.

And now that's all about the change— for the worse, in Boeing's case.

Why?

According to Bloomberg's Julie Johnsson, Boeing is desperately trying to fill out the remaining production slots for its current generation 777 models — before the company switches over to produce the next-gen 777X.

In an attempt to make the 300ER more financially attractive to buyers, the Chicago-based plane maker will squeeze another 14 seats into the cabin.

The traditional three-class cabin layout for the 777-300ER seats around 386 passengers.

In addition to the smaller bathrooms, the updated 777-300ER will also feature updated overhead compartments, which are expected to reduce weight by 1,200 lbs.

Furthermore, the updated jet will feature redesigned wings and control surfaces that the company expects to cut fuel consumption by 5%.

According to Boeing executives, the market reaction to the enhanced airliner — debuting next year — has been "really positive," Bloomberg reported.

• Praise 1

I was moved to write a poem called

ODE TO QATAR SEVEN EIGHTY SEVEN

Qatar, Qatar, how cramped you are
Your 787, so beautiful from afar
Your airplane food was delicious to eat
But my shoulders fall out of your Economy seat
Your 787, so lovely from afar
Your stewardesses, attentive and kind,
But the lack of leg space blows my mind.
Your 787, so awesome from afar
Your website says a wide and spacious seat
But my back hurts, did I mention my feet?
Your 787, So beautiful from afar
Flying your A350 was aviation heaven
But never again your Seven-Eighty-Seven!
Copyright Guitar Singapore Travels

Supersonic
(edited)

Ahemmm.......I got no legroom problem on my flights. LOL. [:p]

post-1105-0-97929600-1434286206_thumb.jpg

Edited by Soya
  • Praise 4

looks like a380 business class? the 55" seat width are the best, bigger than some first class of other airlines!!!

(edited)

Aiyah, please lah. We must compare like with like. I'm looking at Economy class seating. [;)]

You fly SQ Business, the best Business class in the industry, of course got no legroom problems lah. [:p]

Took ANA 787 before, remember it is 2 4 2 layout, no problem, not so cramped....

Indeed, I read that the 787 was designed for a very comfortable 2-4-2 config in Economy.

Unfortunately, many airlines are now choosing to do 3-3-3 in Economy. More lucrative.

The new A350 with a 3-3-3 in Economy is still fairly ok, I sat the Qatar A350 too. But the 3-3-3 in 787 is really bad.

Edited by Boringchap

wow.

ok looks like if i see a 787 in booking tickets, should avoid.

So only ANA has 2-4-2 sitting?

↡ Advertisement