Are you earning an average salary here in Sillypore?

A_korusawa

when employer see your degree is not from local unis, some of them would ask you directly if you obtained your degree part-time in sg or go overseas to study de. Then it is up to them whether they would recognise your degree and pay you accordingly or not. I believe many employer would pay you at least $100-200 lower than local unis degree.

Didn't encounter such things when going interviews with foreign companies.

But more so for local companies and govt related companies and stat boards.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Didn't encounter such things when going interviews with foreign companies.

But more so for local companies and govt related companies and stat boards.

Maybe depends on the company policy, or the interviewer of that company. Some interviewer might ''look down'' on part-time degree and then try to pay you lower since you do not the bargaining power.

so after so many discussions, it is still academic qualifications before we look at that person real capabilities hahaha. go a get any phd, sure can get a job in some GLC lah 

Supercharged

Some HR will filter out those without academic qualifications.. so such candidates dun even get to the interview stage.. 

so after so many discussions, it is still academic qualifications before we look at that person real capabilities hahaha. go a get any phd, sure can get a job in some GLC lah 

Employers surely look at academic qualifications first and then work experience. Whether that person has real capabilities or not, only when start to work for a few months then will know. But in the first place if you do not have the qualifications then might not even get a chance to prove yourself. Lol.

• Praise 2

More than that ... I know of top-notch MNCs which hire only Honours First Class and Second Class Upper Div degrees only. Nothing less.
  • Praise 1

Even though it is the same exams papers and same uni, but different exposure for the person ma. Employers would look you up a bit if you tell them you studied full-time there, rather than study in sg part-time. Lol. 

There's still a lot of AMDK here in Singapore, a few in my office liao.

• Praise 1

More than that ... I know of top-notch MNCs which hire only Honours First Class and Second Class Upper Div degrees only. Nothing less. ðð¼

If I had to go for open heart surgery

I wouldn't want a doc that just pass only.

as a first choice.

:D

• Praise 4

as a first choice.

How would you know the doctor obtained just pass only? Lol.

Just do you know.. some of the best surgeons locally did poorly in their medical studies.

But they have the best hands..

Scholastic abilities don't always reflect a person's ability to perform under pressure, his/her ability to see details, have steady hands and simply, see the solution.

In fact.. I know a few SAF scholars who aren't actually very good.. but they did well based on their A levels... rather shoddy leadership skills in the forces.. 

• Praise 1

More than that ... I know of top-notch MNCs which hire only Honours First Class and Second Class Upper Div degrees only. Nothing less. ðð¼

If i recall correctly, SIA had that criteria for recruiting fresh grads. Not pilot or cabin crew, but technical and admin. Not sure nowadays still so high standard. But in those days, no shortage of applicants so can afford to cream off the best (at least academically).

Edited by Sosaria

The point is: nowadays a general degree is dime a dozen!

Employers of big companies expect more ... a good honours degree.

Just like property - one's house.

Condos nowadays are dime a dozen.

To "have arrived" would mean at least a semi-D, if not a GCB!

Twincharged

Just do you know.. some of the best surgeons locally did poorly in their medical studies.

But they have the best hands..

Scholastic abilities don't always reflect a person's ability to perform under pressure, his/her ability to see details, have steady hands and simply, see the solution.

In fact.. I know a few SAF scholars who aren't actually very good.. but they did well based on their A levels... rather shoddy leadership skills in the forces..

I think all singaporeans know of one such scholar! :) Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

[laugh]  your comment slap those that prefer street smart with poor paper qualification than good paper qualification one. I doubt they will take the risk of their life to choose a one with just pass degree to operate them

as a first choice.

• Praise 1

The point is: nowadays a general degree is dime a dozen!

Employers of big companies expect more ... a good honours degree.

Just like property - one's house.

Condos nowadays are dime a dozen.

To "have arrived" would mean at least a semi-D, if not a GCB!

Edited by Throttle2
↡ Advertisement