Are you earning an average salary here in Sillypore?

A_korusawa

(edited)

nope that pokey latest pic :XD: and telling the whole world how much he earns or.........(fill in your favourite candidate :XD: )

post-131345-0-54776400-1434373114.gif

Edited by Staff69
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

My father has told me about a time not so long ago in SG that they could not find 10c after flipping the whole house. A family with more than 10 children where he was one of them. They had to thin the porridge very considerably to each get a bowl of porridge water to survive. Judging based on his later life, I think it is likely to be based on a true story.

Earning is only one part of the equation. There are those who have three kids and still survive on single average income. Those I know do not drive and tend to eat very simply.

Then there are those who earn easily over 20, 30K per month, have multiple cars (with no kid or 1 kid) and branded watches, bags, everything (not table wiper), and end up having to borrow from others. I was stunned to hear the request to be frank.

Earning more of course makes saving easier. But it is just one part of the equation.

Edited by Seohster
  • Praise 4

My father has told me about a time not so long ago in SG that they could not find 10c after flipping the whole house. A family with more than 10 children where he was one of them. They had to thin the porridge very considerably to each get a bowl of porridge water to survive. Judging based on his later life, I think it is likely to be based on a true story.

Earning is only one part of the equation. There are those who have three kids and still survive on single average income. Those I know do not drive and tend to eat very simply.

Then there are those who earn easily over 20, 30K per month, have multiple cars (with no kid or 1 kid) and branded watches, bags, everything (not table wiper), and end up having to borrow from others. I was stunned to hear the request to be frank.

Earning more of course makes saving easier. But it is just one part of the equation.

agree with you, but there are also some rich people who are very stingy. They keep all their wealth to themselves

Life is all about balance

I once judged a rich colleague who probably saved 90% of salary for never appearing for social functions, never giving any money for Red and white affairs, never buying any food. BB car, Nokia old type hand phone. But can own several freehold properties.

Until one day I saw the cleaner auntie thanking the colleague profusely for giving her a big ang pow for CNY.

Although some rich do charity, one big reason could be tax reduction.

Nonetheless I think shouldn't really judge how each uses his or her salary for charity.

agree with you, but there are also some rich people who are very stingy. They keep all their wealth to themselves

• Praise 3

Supersonic

That's why RadX is different. He generously gives his $$$ away......

.......to LTA very often everytime he change car. Lol.

• Praise 1

(edited)

For those wanting to change job for a higher salary and moving to a large company. This read may be helpful for you align yourself and your expectation.

Hope this is useful.

http://blog.btrax.com/en/2010/12/15/10-cultural-contrasts-between-us-and-japanese-companies-a-personal-view/
By: Reina Hashimoto

Dec 15, 2010

As I have reflected back on the last 6 months I have spent working in the U.S., there are some cultural contrasts as well as commonality in the work environment. After graduating college, I came to the U.S., to work briefly and spent 4 years in a traditionally, big company in Japan. I followed the dream of most Japanese working for a big company. Now here, working in a fast paced company and surrounded by the equally fast paced SF tech community, here are my thoughts on the two business cultures.

Characteristic

United States

Japan

Speed vs. Consistency

Generally U.S. company’s decision making is quick. Superiors give some great leeway to subordinates so that they can decide and make decisions quickly. Unfortunately there are some errors that can come because of that.

Japanese company’s decision making is in stages along their corporate hierarchy. Their decisions are very cautious and conservative and sometimes slower than U.S. companies. These stages are backed by plenty of meetings and documentation. This minimizes error and brings consistency at all levels.

Roles & Responsibilities for Individual vs. Group

The U.S. company’s roles are very individualized. Contribution of individual is very important as linked to company goals.

Japanese companies require individual contribution to the whole group but recognize that the whole group must succeed otherwise the individual’s contribution has no meaning.

ROI of Revenues vs. ROI of Relationships

US Companies focus on Return On Investment (ROI) or the end result. They don’t concern themselves on how it is achieved. US companies spend less time establishing their process.

Japanese also focus on ROI, however, they emphasize the process on how to get there. For example, they evaluate how to create the process for the project so that they regard the cost including the value of establishing the process in total.

Risk Takers vs. Risk Adverse cultures

If we ask something to achieve for them, they’ll say “We can do it” even they thought they can do it 50-70% probabilities. After they accepted, they try to achieve as close to 100%.

If the Japanese feel that it’s possible to achieve most likely 100%, they don’t say “Yes”. Their agreement is careful because they want to be accurate. They make sure it is exactly 100%What the Japanese say is important. If they are not right it will reflect bad on them.

Heterogeneous vs. Homogeneous cultures

Since U.S. is multicultural, the company is consisted of plenty of nationalities, which means there are so many different ways to think. Almost the all situations, they don’t progress without say anything.

Basically a Japanese company is organized by Japanese. Almost everyone has same background to realize the situation so some of the understanding is in unspoken words. This is one of the important communication skills in Japan.

Time Spent Collaborating vs. Collaborating Time Spent

US companies aim to do meetings efficiently as much as they can. The meetings are fewer and less time. If meetings are too plenty the people seem to resist them.

Japanese. Meetings are very common in large companies. They value the process to agree with everyone who is related to their project, so they have many meetings and spend a lot of time in meetings.

Remote vs. Face-to-Face communications

US. Contacting clients by email or on the phone seems to be more natural in conducting business relationships.

Japanese. They respect meeting each other face to face. It is important to them for conducting business relationships

Loose vs Structured Working Styles

US. Basically the working style is almost the same as Japan. It is very flexible, where working from home is very normal. They have a cubicles for each employee which focuses on a persons independence-high walls, isolation, and spaciousness.

Most Japanese companies work regular office hours and they don’t permit working at home. The work environment is set like a school class where the head of the department is at the top of a row of desks. There are group oriented- no walls, no cubicles and closeness.

Self-Sponsored vs. Company-Sponsored Retirement Rewards

The 401k is entirely sponsored by employee salary with the exception of matching funding by companies. This system is one of the things that does not encourage people to stay with companies. One exception is the pension systems in the US.

Japanese are encouraged to stay in one company by the monetary rewards. These are company sponsored payments independent of the person’s salary. The longer they stay the higher the company sponsored payout is to them.

Personal Life vs. Professional Life

Family and personal time is the priority in the US. Work-Life balance is a must. There is some socializing outside of work but not as a group.

In Japan, priority is on the work life. It is given work is the centre of life. There are many traditions that re-enforce this. A newcomer to the company, hold the place for Hanami to enjoy the cherry blossom in Spring for drinking with co-workers. Also a common after-work event is Nomikai (drinking party) and is used as a very important opportunity to communicate with each other for work.

Edited by CarPark8
  • Praise 2

(edited)

May I know where to download the Radx best friend application form?

Edited by Seohster
  • Praise 2

I once judged a rich colleague who probably saved 90% of salary for never appearing for social functions, never giving any money for Red and white affairs, never buying any food. BB car, Nokia old type hand phone. But can own several freehold properties.

Until one day I saw the cleaner auntie thanking the colleague profusely for giving her a big ang pow for CNY.

Although some rich do charity, one big reason could be tax reduction.

Nonetheless I think shouldn't really judge how each uses his or her salary for charity.

Thanks for the nice share, I think every one values wealth or money differently

I am not a saver, neither m I a spender

I believe in spending $$$ in the way I can afford and like, I participate in all kinds of red, white,new born, wedding affairs and I will give without expecting anything in return. If I give $ to someone on the street and it can help them, I am happy because I can always work hard and earn my salary to cover that amount.

Having said that, I m not wealthy or poor, no private property at all

I also believe I only live my life once, there's no point in keeping money excessively, just enough to let me retire well next time can already

I have lived from hands to mouth before and the bursary I received in school helped me a lot in my growing up years so I believe in giving back to society to help others

I don't really care about how the wealthy people are managing their wealth because they are capable and hence they have that wealth and they can do whatever they wish

I care about my own values in life and how every little can help others

Sorry for the long post

Have a great ahead!

• Praise 5

(edited)

Hee hee....what cars he buy huh.......I guess he is quite rich because he plays tennis in orchard....

I don't know how to play tennis or golf....kekekeeeee.....

Edited by Pinobii

Hee hee....what cars he buy huh.......I guess he is quite rich because he plays tennis in orchard....

Psst....I think Radx had a typo when he tells you he play tenis in Orchard.....it's supposed to be a "P" not a "T".....

• Praise 5

Psst....I think Radx had a typo when he tells you he play tenis in Orchard.....it's supposed to be a "P" not a "T".....

2j1mye1.gif

880466.gif

• Praise 5

(edited)

post-145464-0-17362100-1434419267_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pinobii

Supersonic

The last time I googled Forbes list of the world's 5 richest, this came up:

(i) T2

(ii) Porker

(iii) RadX

(iv) Warren Buffet

(v) Bill Gates

• Praise 3

Supercharged

Bro. Honestly u feel it's low because u r a top earner. Easily top 5% of the population.

The 72k per annum is a median salary.

That means there are a lot more ppl out there earning a lot less.

This is the group we should be worried about.

He is top earner because he works under the hot sun you know....

All his money got blood and sweat one hor....

When kababoom.... he eat grass....

[laugh]

• Praise 2

Give comparing ourselves with others. Give up comparing our salaries. There will be no end in comparing. In the end one will only lose sleep.

However, we can have plans to uplift our skills, knowing more, accomplishing tasks we never thought we are capable of.

I just out this website. Hope it is useful for all.

http://www.skillsfuture.sg/

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1