Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
63 replies to this topic | 174 praises

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:41 PM

Yamapi
  • Yamapi
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

SINGAPORE — M1, Singtel and Starhub here will cease 2G services from April 1, 2017, announced the three mobile network operators today (June 15).

The Information Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) will also cease registration of 2G-only mobile communication equipment with effect from Sept 15 this year.

To cater to increased demand for mobile data and faster access speeds, the spectrum currently used for 2G voice, messaging and data services will make way for 3G and 4G services.

To facilitate the transition, the three mobile operators have agreed for their 2G-only subscribers to continue with their existing mobile plans at no additional cost after they have migrated to the more advanced networks, if they choose not to subscribe to new service plans.

“Mobile networks have evolved since the launch of the 2G service in 1994, and Singapore’s extensive modern 3G and 4G mobile networks has led to high smartphone ownership and usage rates...only a small percentage of customers remain on 2G-only mobile devices (today),” said the three mobile operators in a press release.

According to the IDA, 2G pre- and post-paid subscriptions have been declining steadily, from more than 2 million subscribers in June 2011 to about 250,000 today.

IDA had approved the operators’ request to close the network after considering “the evolving technology landscape and migration of consumers 3G and 4G technologies, which offer more service features and higher broadband speeds”.

Mobile operators in countries like Japan, Korea, Australia and the United States have also either closed or announced plans to cease their 2G networks, the IDA noted.

The operators will keep affected 2G users informed of the upcoming network closure through text messages, calls and posters at their retail outlets.

A wide range of 3G and 4G handsets will be available at difference price points. Customers currently on 2G handsets need only to place their SIM cards in the 3G or 4G device to use the network immediately.

i still have functional old nokia & sony ericsson phones leh. meaning these phones will not work from apr 2017?

Ktglfc praised this

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:48 PM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I still have at times, no 3G available, it auto-switch to 2G.

So now no 2G, means no service ?

Ktglfc praised this

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:07 PM

Vid
  • Premium member
    Vid
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

All the maids, banglas, etc how? All got to buy smartphones?
lausai88 praised this

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:37 PM

Ktglfc
  • Premium member
    Ktglfc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

All the telcos huat ah !

cos they all can sell smartphones at jacked up prices !

Spring praised this
Rich: is not about how much you have, but how much you give.

The sky has turned brighter.
There's a glorious rainbow that beckons those with a spirit of adventure and there are rich findings at the end of that rainbow.
Find that rainbow, go ride it.

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:41 PM

Wt_know
  • Wt_know
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

when turn off 3G and 4G?
it's not fantastic anyway ... lousy

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

lausai88
  • Premium member
    lausai88
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

2 weeks ago, I just helped my maid to buy a new Samsung Galaxy E5.

now a days, SG maids can afford smartphones liao.

Edited by lausai88, 15 June 2015 - 08:21 PM.

Latio2005A praised this

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:34 PM

Benarsenal
  • Benarsenal
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Still got two years. Give you warning to switch to smartphone first...

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:38 PM

Vid
  • Premium member
    Vid
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

2 weeks ago, I just helped my maid to buy a new Samsung Galaxy E5.

now a days, SG maids can afford smartphones liao.

Keep your old smartphones for your maid when the time comes...

Latio2005A praised this

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:42 PM

Yewheng
  • Premium member
    Yewheng
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

i still have functional old nokia & sony ericsson phones leh. meaning these phones will not work from apr 2017?

My mother still old school using 2G phone. She only use it for phone call and after hearing the news that 2G service to be cease by April 2017. I quickly go online search for a old school phone but with 3G service as she only used to non touch screen phone with keypad to press one.

In the end found Nokia C5 fits what she will be comfortable using. So just bought it online in ebay ( lucky still got sell in new condition ) .

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:49 PM

Lotr
  • Premium member
    Lotr
    5th Gear
    Author Image

i dunno, this will take place 2 years later, but in my office area, something can only go 2g.  Hopefully, reception will improve by then

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:25 PM

Vid
  • Premium member
    Vid
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

My mother still old school using 2G phone. She only use it for phone call and after hearing the news that 2G service to be cease by April 2017. I quickly go online search for a old school phone but with 3G service as she only used to non touch screen phone with keypad to press one.

In the end found Nokia C5 fits what she will be comfortable using. So just bought it online in ebay ( lucky still got sell in new condition ) .

Errr... Apr 2017 lah. No need so kan cheong and buy now [sweatdrop]

[laugh] [laugh]

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:28 PM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Wait until last min then see how. Lol.

Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Life is very fragile. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next.

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

Yamapi
  • Yamapi
    5th Gear
    Author Image

3 and a half hours more. 2G handphone signal will be switched off

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

Kangadrool
  • Premium member
    Kangadrool
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Already switched off nong nong time ago. How I know?

I got 2 SIMs - one SingTel and one M1 on dual SIM phone.

When toggle between network for data, one will go to 2G, but will have no signal at all. Both behaved the same way since Dec 2016.

Edited by Kangadrool, 31 March 2017 - 09:07 PM.

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:31 PM

lausai88
  • Premium member
    lausai88
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Already switched off nong nong time ago. How I know?

I got 2 SIMs - one SingTel and one M1 on dual SIM phone.

When toggle between network for data, one will go to 2G, but will have no signal at all. Both behaved the same way since Dec 2016.

your phone karput lah. :grin:

Big bro IDA watching the Telcos, they cannot suka suka shutdown 2G  [scholar]

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

Victor68
  • Victor68
    6th Gear
    Author Image

we got to move with technology. there are cheap smart phone if it is just for making calls.

what i canot accept is telco company changing the rules for their existing plans. when they want you, they entice you. now they dump you and ask you to upgrade your plan.

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

BanCoe
  • BanCoe
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

your phone karput lah. :grin:

Big bro IDA watching the Telcos, they cannot suka suka shutdown 2G  [scholar]

Dont think so can say "watching" ......maybe more like hand in glove operation..... will always say old tech cannot maintain, upkeep..... macham macham story to cry mother and cry father one and we the children of them "pledge ourselves as one united people regardless of race language or religion"  ...... suck thumb

........ so as to achieve peace progress and prosperity......... for them  ............

not my 2 cents worth but 5 cents worth....... ooops ...... that one also going going gone soon from circulation too.... 

Sunny praised this

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

Noob79
  • Premium member
    Noob79
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

there is nothing we can do, i totally forget about this matter, just the other day, i give the cleaner auntie in my office my old 2g phone (hardly used, bought for reservist last time)... now, she got to get another phone again...

Spring praised this

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

Kklee
  • Kklee
    5th Gear
    Author Image

what i canot accept is telco company changing the rules for their existing plans. when they want you, they entice you. now they dump you and ask you to upgrade your plan.

IMHO, the result of subscribers wanting competition and value for money. 

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:06 AM

Picnic06-Biante15
  • Premium member
    Picnic06-Biante15
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Don't know whether if it is true, is M1 giving free 3G upgrade to 4G ? :wut:

"Genius is One Per Cent INSPIRATION, Ninety-nine Per Cent PERSPIRATION"

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: apirl, telcos, cease, service and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users