Telcos to cease 2G service from April 2017

Yamapi

the news said total shut down will be 18 April.

anyway last month already bought a clam shell 3G china phone for my mother already ... has to be easy to operate and damn loud !!

just switched the card and all is working well ! btw sticking to the "pay as you use" plan.

So news said confirmed shutdown on 18 Apr ah? Anyway, for 3G phone is there any phone model that comes with buttons de? Think most of the elderly already get used of phone with physical buttons lo, and those touch screen phone dont think they like it. Until now i still dont know what is the reason they want to shutdown 2G network ah? Why they force people to use 3G le?!

Edited by 13177
↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

So news said confirmed shutdown on 18 Apr ah? Anyway, for 3G phone is there any phone model that comes with buttons de? Think most of the elderly already get used of phone with physical buttons lo, and those touch screen phone dont think they like it. Until now i still dont know what is the reason they want to shutdown 2G network ah? Why they force people to use 3G le?!

i bought this for my mom.

most important thing is the clam shell design ... open = answer, close = hangup.

once i kenah one bill ...$92 for one call because my mom was using candy bar phone and forgot to hang-up after the call with the other party who was using land-line.

Got.. I bought it for my mother last year.. Recently she complained to me that she want to learn and use smartphone as all her friends are using it. Lucky my contract past 1yr and I am a hub club member so I recontract 2year plan with additional 100 for early recontract and buy a new phone and my old one pass to my mother.

So far so good and she is now getting the hang of it..

Edited by Yewheng

No wonder I haven't heard from MIL.

Too bad they don't make 3G clam shell phones.

:D

Omg, you mean thats good news for you?

Supercharged

erm... tech refresh?

2G HW EOL. no more support. so shut down lah. 

legacy system support is more costly than the subscription earnings that comes from 2G subscriber.

it only makes business sense to scrap the old tech to move to the newer 3G/4G tech.

Looking for a cheapest dual SIM card phone is operating both cards at 4g at the same time

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

• Praise 1

One 3g the 2nd one 4g also can

Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro

3GB ram with 32 GB storage

dual sim, i tink cannot both 4g, one shud b 3g

big battery

big screen

small price.

Redmi note 4 out liao, if you can get redmi note 3 still it shud b cheap until lao sai!!!

• Praise 1

Looking for a cheapest dual SIM card phone is operating both cards at 4g at the same time

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Redmi 4A is a very decent phone to consider.

Should be around $150.. 5" screen; support dual sim & very light as well.

• Praise 1

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

There are smartphone out there that support 3g/4g for dual simcard. Like for my current phone Sony Xperia Xz dual Sim. Sim 1 support 4g, Sim 2 support up to 3g and both can run concurrently at the same time.

I do not know of any smartphone yet that support 4g for both dual Sim. Don't know whether the newest flagship phone that run on snapdragon 835 support 4g on dual Sim.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

There are smartphone out there that support 3g/4g for dual simcard. Like for my current phone Sony Xperia Xz dual Sim. Sim 1 support 4g, Sim 2 support up to 3g and both can run concurrently at the same time.

I do not know of any smartphone yet that support 4g for both dual Sim. Don't know whether the newest flagship phone that run on snapdragon 835 support 4g on dual Sim.

Maybe the coming Sony XZ2?

Edited by DACH

Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro

3GB ram with 32 GB storage

dual sim, i tink cannot both 4g, one shud b 3g

big battery

big screen

small price.

Redmi note 4 out liao, if you can get redmi note 3 still it shud b cheap until lao sai!!!

I just bought the Redmi note 4

Redmi 4A is a very decent phone to consider.

Should be around $150.. 5" screen; support dual sim & very light as well.

4a cannot

Their website say:

Note: The 2G mobile network across all telcos in Singapore will close from 1st April 2017. However, Redmi 4A can receive 2G services in countries that support 2G mobile networks.

I bought the note 4

• Praise 1

I just bought the Redmi note 4

4a cannot

Their website say:

Note: The 2G mobile network across all telcos in Singapore will close from 1st April 2017. However, Redmi 4A can receive 2G services in countries that support 2G mobile networks.

I bought the note 4

My FT colleagues say they still can receive 2G network from Telkom Indonesia. :a-happy:

My FT colleagues say they still can receive 2G network from Telkom Indonesia. :a-happy:

Seekali pay roaming rates [crazy]
↡ Advertisement