Martial arts for children

Fishy

Hi,

has anyone sent their chidren for martial arts class? I wish to send mine to learn some discipline and strengthen himself. Anyone has any recommendations?

Prefer weekend at Sengkang Punggol or Tampines.Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Recently my 8 year old girl has been bugging me to sign her up for martial arts classes, saying that she wants to learn to defend herself.

I have no martial arts background, so wondering if anyone has thoughts on which style is most suitable for kids? Any schools to recommend? I guess I'm after something that is practical and can be learnt by kids.

I regret sending my boy to learn traditional wushu instead of 天残脚...till now he still can't handle crawlies...he's trained to run away fast though

Recently my 8 year old girl has been bugging me to sign her up for martial arts classes, saying that she wants to learn to defend herself.

I have no martial arts background, so wondering if anyone has thoughts on which style is most suitable for kids? Any schools to recommend? I guess I'm after something that is practical and can be learnt by kids.

but... but... but... your avatar is 叶问 leh :huh:[laugh]

singapor quite safe lah, but for exercise can do wushu or taekwando in CC.

I regret sending my boy to learn traditional wushu instead of 天æ®è...till now he still can't handle crawlies...he's trained to run away fast thoughððð

my son taekwando black belt 2 Dan, see crawlies or flying bugs run like no tomorrow [sweatdrop][laugh]
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic

but... but... but... your avatar is å¶é® leh :huh:[laugh]

my son taekwando black belt 2 Dan, see crawlies or flying bugs run like no tomorrow [sweatdrop][laugh]

junior black?

convert to full black liao?

my son taekwando black belt 2 Dan, see crawlies or flying bugs run like no tomorrow [sweatdrop][laugh][/quote

I'm sure you feel the same as me about the money with wings...fly far far away...

(edited)

You want your kid to be fit, be able to defend herself in a pinch, almost any mainstream martial art can.

You want her to be able to break the leg or choke the hell out of the hapless attacker if it comes down to that, Kyokushin Karate, Muay Thai and MMA.

Edited by Ake109

but... but... but... your avatar is 叶问 leh :huh:[laugh]

Most of us are nothing like our avatars [;)]

Yes, I don't think she'll need to use these skills in real life. Just want her exercise for fitness, develop some self-confidence and self-discipline.

Buy them a Nerf gun. Train for marksmanship. Can collect $400 in NS. [laugh]

My kid is girl-girl leh! 

i'm 36 years old and will still run away from a flying cockroach  [laugh]

Wait until it lands then i dare attack lol  [:p]

Hypersonic

when signing up kids for such lessons (eg taekwondo, judo, etc) 

pls be there to see thru the lessons 

my nephew learnt taekwondo lessons last time.

Once he forgot to bring his belt, kana scolded jialat jialat by instructor.

he was only a pri student! my SIL since, withdrew him. 

Also i walked passed a taekwondo session at hdb void deck, instructor was punishing the little kids

omg parents pay to get kids being punished

• Praise 3

Martial arts for girl girl?

Easy lah.

For male targets...aim for the nuts.

For female targets....pull the hair.

Wing chun bo salah.  Created by a woman so woman learn no issue.   [thumbsup]

Also i walked passed a taekwondo session at hdb void deck, instructor was punishing the little kids

i thought this is call discipline? i think usually this type of coaches are those special force one punch kill secret army   [laugh]

I'm sure you feel the same as me about the money with wings...fly far far away...

i think i spend very little on both kids for past 13 years, $8 a month plus those grading test, the coach sponsored the test fees most of the time and he usually will buy them uniforms from Korea where he visit yearly (with name embroidered) . 

Nice old coach like grandfather to those kids, and i think he loss more money than he make from the fees   [laugh]  [laugh] . My girl is still train and help to coach small kids 2 days a week. 

• Praise 1

(edited)

That's what martial arts is about. They have to be conditioned to the tough training(mentally and physically) so that when they get beaten outside to them it becomes a piece of cake coz training is tougher dan that.

It's the same when you are being trained during your NS. All that tough training and humiliation. The enemy is not going to nice to you when you are captured during a conflict. They will beat you, torture you and humiliate you.

Edited by Watwheels

Wing chun bo salah.  Created by a woman so woman learn no issue.   [thumbsup]

I never believe in that movie. Although it's nice to watch wing chun has its short comings. You are defending and attacking in the same move means you cannot put 100% in your speed and strength. It's suitable for females becoz of that reason, they don't have the strength and speed of men. Anyway martial arts isn't all about fighting like yip man said. It also involves philosophy(i.e. like if you can walk away w/o a fight that's a victory in its own). It's about adapting and some social skills. Not aways about fighting or about the moves.

Mr yip man tell your girl to learn some social skills too. It's better to make a friend dan to have an enemy. Dan she don't even have to learn martial arts to defend herself.

Whatever form of MA or MMA, trick 36 is a must learn and my boy mastered it well, especially when he sees crawlies or when my wife asks for volunteer to do housework.

↡ Advertisement