Given the recent Scoot debacle would you still take Scoot?

Cerano

From a menopausal lau aunty then how?

That's rite. If the price differential is hugh, then we have to bear with some service lapses.

I would greatly trade safety over anything else....

Anyway, my rationale is, any flight more than 3 hours, I will take proper airlines, and not budget airlines :))

Safety and comfort and of course, a proper meal :))

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

-- just out some hours ago:

SINGAPORE — Budget carrier Scoot has issued a statement from its Chief Executive Campbell Wilson explaining the reason for its flight delays over the weekend. Passengers were left fuming last Saturday when a flight from Singapore to Perth was rescheduled repeatedly, and finally left for Perth at 10.40am on Sunday after a delay of more than 22 hours.

The delay was the airline’s second flight delay in two days. Last Friday, a Scoot flight from Hong Kong to Singapore was delayed for about 24 hours.

Here is the statement in full:

Scoot deeply regrets disruption to guests affected by the flight delays over the weekend. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused to their travel plans.

The principal cause of the disruption was a technical fault experienced upon arrival of TZ220 at Hong Kong on Friday morning. Initial attempts to resolve the issue failed and, ultimately, a spare part and team of engineers had to be dispatched from Singapore.

With a small fleet and one aircraft out of action in Hong Kong a number of flights were rescheduled, including Saturday’s TZ8 from Singapore to Perth. During checks prior to this flight, a tyre issue was detected requiring a wheel to be changed, a process that took three hours. Regrettably, this new delay meant that the operating crew could not complete the flight in their legal duty time and were obliged to stand down but, because of earlier rescheduling of flights, no standby crew were available.

Consequently, TZ8 was delayed overnight until a new, rested crew was available.

The safe operation of our airline is paramount and will not be compromised. Occasional technical issues nonetheless happen, to any airline, and the smaller the fleet, the larger the effect on schedules. As Scoot’s fleet grows from 6 to 11 aircraft this year our ability to absorb such events will significantly improve but, even so, Scoot is also reviewing the handling of these two flights to refine our processes and procedures.

As readers will be aware, Scoot has never shied away from the fact that low airfares come with a quid pro quo, which is that hotel accommodation is not assured in the rare event of disruption, and that travel insurance is highly recommended. These conditions are made known to and are acknowledged by every passenger at the time of booking. Notwithstanding, Scoot elected to provide hotel accommodation in Hong Kong to passengers on TZ221 and lounge access and F&B vouchers at Changi Airport to those on TZ8. Scoot has also reached out to guests on the two affected flights with compensation vouchers over and above the Guest Promise stated on our website as an indication of our regret.

We again apologise to those affected, assure them that their safety was at the core of our actions at all times, and commit that we will learn from this experience.

Campbell Wilson

Chief Executive Officer

• Praise 1

"low airfares come with a quid pro quo, which is that hotel accommodation is not assured in the rare event of disruption, and that travel insurance is highly recommended."

hmm ... just wondering whether this is the case for Tiger, Air Asia, Jetstar ...

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

My experience with Scoot..

Flew the stretch (yellow seat) on a redeye flight to Taiwan in May 2014. The legroom was more than the typical SQ economy, but was not as comfortable as SQ. The plus point is, due to the longer seat pitch, the chair can recline back considerably.

I went Taiwan to do my wedding photoshoot, and had to check a 1x1.2m photo frame with photo on the return leg. And so it happens, the photo didn't fly back with us. Lodge a report of lost luggage, and Scoot advises us the following:

We wish to draw your attention to Article 6.4 – Checked Baggage Restrictions of Scoot Conditions of Carriage as follows: -

a) You must not include in your Checked Baggage: • Fragile, delicate or perishable items

b) As Scoot’s liability is limited, we will not be liable for any inconvenience costs, expenses, or loss or damage in excess of the limits of any applicable Convection you suffer as a consequence of the item being damaged, delayed or lost if you have ignored our requirements and included the items as Checked Baggage, with our without our knowledge. Such items should be carried as Cabin baggage, but you must still comply with all relevant weight and size limitations.

In view of the above, we regret that the Airline is unable to consider your claim in the event your baggage is unrecoverable. If you took out travel insurance to cover this flight/trip we recommend you contact your Insurers immediately as this course of action may be in your best interests in view of the restrictions under air carriage legislation and the more specific coverage under the travel insurance policy.

I was like.. WTF.. So if i carry a fragile item bigger than the allowed carry-on size, then you will wash off responsibility? Dafug is this?

Thankfully they found my photo the next morning (baggage handlers forgot to load it onto the plane) and it was sent back on the afternoon SQ flight from Taiwan to SG and was delivered 24 hrs after our arrival back in SG.

And then, my brother flew with them twice, and both times his checked-in luggage was delayed.

I can only say, you pay for what you get.

• Praise 1

Be glad that Scoot is taking safety as its priority.

i support that entirely but i dont think thats an excuse for the poor handling of situation though. will have lost many potential customers for sure much more than if they had paid to support the customers reasonably

Jialat. Flying Scoot for the first time this weekend to BKK. Fingers crossed. [lipsrsealed]

My opinion is that just because budget doesn't mean they can treat customers like dirt. A basic level of service is required at least because they are still paying customers (I mean, you pay you expect something, no matter how little). In that respect I think Scoot's policies are damn wrong.

They're basically saying "You pay so little, so we are allowed to f*** things up". That's not right.

Hypersonic

i support that entirely but i dont think thats an excuse for the poor handling of situation though. will have lost many potential customers for sure much more than if they had paid to support the customers reasonably

I think customers have to be aware of the terms and conditions when they go forward to purchase a budget airline ticket. While we always hope a trip will be smooth, blames cannot be shot here and there when things go wrong. Customers are advised to purchase insurance and if they did not, then airlines should not be held responsible when it has been upfront on these issues.

Perhaps Scoot should have made an exception somewhere but that's would be a gesture of goodwill rather than an expectation.

I think the CEO's point is that with just 6 aircraft and

a very small crew any plane down will have a major

impact on their operations and flight schedules.

Then I suggest he merge his airlines with Tiger

to get the desired mass and enjoy economies

of scale. No need to have 2 sets of advertising,

websites, aircraft, crew, uniforms etc.

If he takes up this wonderful idea he is free to send

a cheque made out to Jamesc for this brilliant

piece of business consultancy.

Jamesc - lesbian, fung shui master

and business consultant.

:D

• Praise 10

Hypersonic

I think customers have to be aware of the terms and conditions when they go forward to purchase a budget airline ticket. While we always hope a trip will be smooth, blames cannot be shot here and there when things go wrong. Customers are advised to purchase insurance and if they did not, then airlines should not be held responsible when it has been upfront on these issues.

Perhaps Scoot should have made an exception somewhere but that's would be a gesture of goodwill rather than an expectation.

Yes, managing one's expectation.

Always buy travel insurance when traveling by budget.

Turbocharged

Quite surprised to read that Scoot has only 6 aircraft. These serve up to 12 destinations.

With such a small fleet, aircraft delays due to need for tyre change is questionable - worn tyres can be pre--checked, unless we have a pilot who had a rough landing & kept quiet.

Scoot route map also shows a very big route coverage ( see their website ) because they factor in partner airlines. Looks impressive, but when it comes to their own aircraft can't fly, they obviously have no means to borrow seats from their brothers.

Bells & whistles

http://www.flyscoot.com/index.php/en/book-flights/scoot-schedules.html

• Praise 1

Thankfully I don't have to... either travelling for work or getting free SQ tickets once a year for vacation :XD:

But then again, you pay peanuts you get monkeys, I have taken much worse flights ... anyone Yemenia Airway??? That one is one hell of a roller coaster ride .... literately !!! :scared:

and business consultant.

Totally agree with you sifu James!!

Really don't understand why they need 2 budget airlines and as you have rightfully pointed out, to merge will mean economies of scale and eliminate the insufficient aircraft issues.

• Praise 8

Supersonic

Every flight sure got some fxxker either board late/ try to bring in 2X cabin luggage on 1 pax ticket/ think it is free seating/ or happily take the aisle/ window seat when they were allocated the middle seat (this type I always wish I had popcorn and wish the designated paz is SG, sure see fireworks fly) etc...

This happened to me once on a 747 at the emergency exit row. 2 guys on the same row as me and in a 747 the window seat has a box like structure that sticks out, eating into your leg room. The guys happily took the middle seat and my aisle seat. When i got on board, he had to cheek the smile at me and say if you don't mind, I will sit in the aisle instead of window. I told him straight off " I do mind so move it".

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

and business consultant.

i think they should call is Scooger.

then all the old ah peks will line up to buy tickets, hoping to meet some young scoo gers on board.

in fact, i am sure you would like to meet some young scoo gers too, @jamesc (legal age, of course... ha ha)

• Praise 1

I think no customer will expect 0 delay from even the best airlines

However what pisses people off is the poor lack of service recovery, information and lack of responsibility.

I think it shows from how they dont even bother to send an airline rep down while letting that incompetent guy with the mike address everyone. I hear also dulan

• Praise 1

Was very pleased with my one time experience with scoot last June for oz

Selecting an airline for this coming dec plan, but after reading this CEO statement quite scary

Before flew scoot, jetstar has been my one n only budget for twice every year and it has never ever let me down in terms of safety n punctuality.

Supercharged

I've never taken Scoot nor will I intend to do so soon.

Their prices are higher than other Budget Airlines like JetStar & Tiger and only slightly lower than mainstream airlines, even EVA or Cathay. Timing also kinda off...

Since I only fly yearly to Taiwan & Phuket, JetStar will do. If overnight flight, Qatar and SQ is the best.

I used to fly Cathay to Taiwan and they always put me with PRC tour groups, the 4 hours are unbearable. :TT_TT:

↡ Advertisement