Given the recent Scoot debacle would you still take Scoot?

Cerano

Like Scoot, many Singapore INC that has made it previously many seems to have this issue: we are the best, keep the same formula and nobody can touch us. Least but not last, complacency.

The start was the building of budget terminal which cost tax-payers money too and soon after it was torn down because it looks and functions like Bantam ferry terminal. Then we had Tiger Air with no teeth to bite her share of passengers and no claws to hung on to even break even because management think Tiger Air can be like scaled down SIA and because of SIA's reputation, Tiger can bank on it. After failure upon failure, competition steps in with even better service and better organisation.

SIA finally realised, there is a growing segment of the traveling population that wanted no nonsense and affordable flights for work or holiday. They need something new and SCOOT was born.

SIA is also loosing market share and prestige. Still don't get it and brought in "old guard" to rejuvenate the company. Because they used to be top of the food chain, they treat their staff not exactly nice especially cabin crew and pilots.

In Singapore, not just SIA but many Singapore INC needs to jock out of their slumber. For too long they had it easy, sheer monopoly (Transport (SMRT), Retail (NTUC) / Insurance (NTUC), Defence (ST Eng), Cargo (NOL) and many more), they make money by milking local population and government hand-outs. Without the later, they don't know how to compete in the wide wide world.

My personal experience, I wanted to buy Tiger Air shares and before that I wanted to be sure that Tiger Air is viable and gives good or at satisfactory service. My conclusion: Fail. I never fly budget airline unless there is really a change in the industry for meeting their reasons why they exist in the first place.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

In Singapore, not just SIA but many Singapore INC needs to jock out of their slumber. For too long they had it easy, sheer monopoly (Transport (SMRT), Retail (NTUC) / Insurance (NTUC), Defence (ST Eng), Cargo (NOL) and many more), they make money by milking local population and government hand-outs. Without the later, they don't know how to compete in the wide wide world.

I agree with many things you said but I cannot agree with your characterisation of all those companies as monopolies.

In my view,

Monopolies: Telco (red green orange), Transport (SMRT/SBS), Defence (ST Engg)

Non monopolies: NTUC (Retail, insurance), Shipping (NOL)

Why do you think they are monopolies when they clearly have competition in the market and very little barriers to entry?

Turbocharged

You can't pin the demolition of the budget terminal on them.

Budget air travel was just starting out then, even competing airports in Thailand and M'sia scrambled when the growth of budget air travel took off exponentially.

Changi wanted to test water first rather than sink in money and end up with a white elephant.

The only wish I have for T4 is that they link it up with the rest of the Terminals as media reports suggests it will be linked by bus.

Especially if someone is connecting to another flight in T1/2/3 and if you want some spillover retail spending from passengers who have time to kill.

Also it gives you the flexibility for future expansion, you can take back T4 for full service airlines and move the budget flights even further down the road to future terminals further away.

Turbocharged

Budget airlines now got inflight entertainment or not?

The last time I took budget airline was more than 10 yrs ago (jetstar sin-Taipei). no inflight entertainment. worst of all, that time got no smartphone or ipad to keep us entertain during the flight. damn torturing.

Supersonic
(edited)

Budget airlines now got inflight entertainment or not?

The last time I took budget airline was more than 10 yrs ago (jetstar sin-Taipei). no inflight entertainment. worst of all, that time got no smartphone or ipad to keep us entertain during the flight. damn torturing.

If keep adding this and that, how to be budget?

My take is for them to remove all the frills and concentrate on reliability and safety.

Edited by Kusje

Turbocharged

If keep adding this and that, how to be budget?

My take is for them to remove all the frills and concentrate on reliability and safety.

that means still don't have.

but at least jetstar seats are very comfy...... and how can use ipad on the flight.

Jetstar ....

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/jetstar-shantou-singapore/1937042.html

SINGAPORE: A Jetstar flight bound for Singapore was delayed for two days due to a mechanical failure, the airline said on Wednesday (Jun 24).

Responding to queries, Jetstar said in a statement that its Shantou to Singapore flight 3K824 was delayed on Monday as a result of a mechanical issue which required investigation.

A caller to the MediaCorp news hotline, Mr Goh, said the passengers were put on another Jetstar flight on Tuesday afternoon. However, a second delay happened and the flight did not take off.

Jetstar said the flight made it to the runway but did not take off as the same mechanical failure occurred.

"We've apologised for the prolonged delay and inconvenience and our teams did everything possible, including hotel accommodation, transfers and meal vouchers, to make our customers as comfortable as possible overnight."

"All passengers were re-accommodated onto alternative flights departing for Singapore today."

Another aircraft has been flown to Shantou, China and is scheduled to depart late afternoon.

Have to commend jetstar for doing the affirmative this is indeed the industry standard!

Turbocharged

hmm, quite true too . . .

http://newnation.sg/2015/06/sporeans-apologise-to-scoot-ceo-sorry-we-make-your-aeroplane-spoil-give-you-money/

Singaporeans from all walks of life who pay lesser money to take budget aeroplanes have come out to collectively apologise to Scoot CEO Campbell Wilson.

This after they caused his airline’s Singapore-to-Perth flight to delay for more than 21 hours on Saturday evening, which caused the Scoot CEO to write a heartfelt apology where he said the airline is not responsible for reimbursing the hotel stays of affected passengers because it is stated clearly in the terms and conditions.

Da Fei Ji, a passenger who was affected, said: “I’m sorry Campbell Wilson, great CEO of Scoot, solver of passengers’ problems. It is my fault and the fault of my fellow passengers as our presence on your aeroplane caused it to spoil.”

“We also deeply regret that we made you take time out of your busy day to write an apology. It shouldn’t have to come down to this: Addressing the concerns of your passengers.”

“This problem is certainly above your pay scale, Mr CEO Great Man. We should just give you all our money because you deserve it and then ask for your forgiveness.”

Other passengers said they will behave themselves better next time Scoot breaks down again and will tolerate delays of up to 48 hours without demanding assistance and information like how other paying customers are treated.

Dui Bu Qi, another passenger, said: “All the passengers shouldn’t have taken the flight together in the first place. If we all took the plane at another time, this wouldn’t have happened and caused you so much trouble and put you in a difficult position.”

“How inconsiderate of us.”

At press time, other passengers are still kneeling down outside Scoots office begging for forgiveness.

S’poreans have been deeply sorry:

Flight delays is part and parcel of flying

and the reported delays did not put me off.

But the CEO's statement that they only have

6 planes has really put me off.

I think that was a really bad piece of PR.

I think now that people know this they will

only fly with them when they have more

planes and can cope better with situations like this.

:D

• Praise 5

Flight delays is part and parcel of flying

and the reported delays did not put me off.

But the CEO's statement that they only have

6 planes has really put me off.

I think that was a really bad piece of PR.

I think now that people know this they will

only fly with them when they have more

planes and can cope better with situations like this.

:D

this ceo is king of taichi

• Praise 1

this ceo is king of taichi

at least this CEO can move on to SMRT if Scoot nolonger wants him ...

↡ Advertisement