Advice needed for New Zealand road trip

Bluepica

Thanks for the recommendations @volvobrick and @darryn.

The route from Queenstown back to Christchurch is about 500km.

I was hoping to do it over 2 days, so looking for somewhere in between to spend the night.

Milford Sound and Akaroa are too out of the way.

↡ Advertisement

Milford Sound is a full day trip from Queenstown (if you can, spend a bit more by plane to the ferry point), or spend a night at Te Anau before heading there in the early morning to beat the bus loads setting off from QT.

Tekapo is a ideal mid point between QT and CC if you look at the map.

You may want to review your stops to free up time for Milford:

Greymouth

Hokitika
Franz Josef

Wanaka
Arrowtown

Of these list I only stayed overnight at Franz Josef.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Thanks for the recommendations @volvobrick and @darryn.

The route from Queenstown back to Christchurch is about 500km.

I was hoping to do it over 2 days, so looking for somewhere in between to spend the night.

Milford Sound and Akaroa are too out of the way.

akaroa is a great daytrip from chch...

abt 90 minute drive if youre gentle

• Praise 1

@Darryn, some questions here need your help. Could not find answers online easily.

I rented a large 6-berth campervan for this trip.

I intend to stay in holiday parks every night.
- Do I need to pre-book holiday parks given that it will be November?
- Will I have any problems if I only check-in at say 8pm at night?

Queenstown to CHC via Lindis Pass to Mount Cook National Park fringe. Pass Lake Takapo then Canterbury Plains to CHC. 6 - 8 hours of driving.

Above route has been planned for me by my travel agent. Who happens to be an ex Kiwi-PR, now lving in Singapore.

Queenstown to CHC via Lindis Pass to Mount Cook National Park fringe. Pass Lake Takapo then Canterbury Plains to CHC. 6 - 8 hours of driving.

Above route has been planned for me by my travel agent. Who happens to be an ex Kiwi-PR, now lving in Singapore.

Sounds good.

Stopover where? And for what activities?

Turbocharged

@Darryn, some questions here need your help. Could not find answers online easily.

I rented a large 6-berth campervan for this trip.

I intend to stay in holiday parks every night.

- Do I need to pre-book holiday parks given that it will be November?

- Will I have any problems if I only check-in at say 8pm at night?

General thoughts - please don't rely 100%

1. November is NOT school holidays - so you should be ok to just "turn up"

2. Even if the place is busy - I would be surprised if they can't find you at least a "non power" berth

3. 8pm in November? It will still be light so will be ok for most - some very small ones may be closed, but they will be well off the beaten track - if you can get the AA guide to sites, that will help you out.

BTW - campervans are FUN - how many of you are staying in it?

General thoughts - please don't rely 100%

1. November is NOT school holidays - so you should be ok to just "turn up"

2. Even if the place is busy - I would be surprised if they can't find you at least a "non power" berth

3. 8pm in November? It will still be light so will be ok for most - some very small ones may be closed, but they will be well off the beaten track - if you can get the AA guide to sites, that will help you out.

BTW - campervans are FUN - how many of you are staying in it?

Thanks for the info!

I booked a 6 berth campervan, but there's only 4 of us. So hopefully be comfy.

Never even seen a campervan before, so not sure if can get used to sleeping in one.

We are also considering to book the cabin rooms at the holiday parks.

If I do that, will I need to book the powered site as well in order to dump waste, refill water and charge battery for the campervan?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Thanks for the info!

I booked a 6 berth campervan, but there's only 4 of us. So hopefully be comfy.

Never even seen a campervan before, so not sure if can get used to sleeping in one.

We are also considering to book the cabin rooms at the holiday parks.

If I do that, will I need to book the powered site as well in order to dump waste, refill water and charge battery for the campervan?

Nope don't need -

It's surprising, but the "dump waste" is rare - we basically didn't use the "onboard" facilities - too small and cramped - was better to shower at the campsite. Although the toilet did come in handy.

With four - you will be fine, we had five so luggage was a problem. Stack all you luggage in the "top bed" and use the others to sleep - should be ok.

Battery will charge itself while driving, so that's not an issue - the one we had was I think either 5.9 or 6.2 metres, rather easy to drive, but do be aware that they are slow...although with the family it wasn't much of an issue - on highway we cruised around 80 or 90 km/hr

• Praise 1

Nope don't need -

It's surprising, but the "dump waste" is rare - we basically didn't use the "onboard" facilities - too small and cramped - was better to shower at the campsite. Although the toilet did come in handy.

With four - you will be fine, we had five so luggage was a problem. Stack all you luggage in the "top bed" and use the others to sleep - should be ok.

Battery will charge itself while driving, so that's not an issue - the one we had was I think either 5.9 or 6.2 metres, rather easy to drive, but do be aware that they are slow...although with the family it wasn't much of an issue - on highway we cruised around 80 or 90 km/hr

I emailed the rental guys to enquire, and they just reverted with some surprising advice. I quote them below. Helpful guys from MAUI rental.

1) Please note if not hooked up 240 volt you can't use the power sockets, microwave, charge device, electric kettle or toaster.

2) Unfortunately driving (even more than 100km) is not enough to recharge your battery. We strongly recommend to plug the camper van every second night into a campsite.

I guess a powered camp site is important afterall.

Turbocharged

I emailed the rental guys to enquire, and they just reverted with some surprising advice. I quote them below. Helpful guys from MAUI rental.

1) Please note if not hooked up 240 volt you can't use the power sockets, microwave, charge device, electric kettle or toaster.

2) Unfortunately driving (even more than 100km) is not enough to recharge your battery. We strongly recommend to plug the camper van every second night into a campsite.

I guess a powered camp site is important afterall.

Sorry - I gave bad advice

We also rented from Maui...

Make sure you get someone to show you where all the hoses are (it took me until the last day of the trip to find the hose that connects to the grey water tank to empty it)

Do note -

There are designated spots to empty grey and black water tanks - if empty "anyhow" it is an offence.

There are no charges to use the outflow tanks

One thing that my family liked was sitting around watching TV while I was driving - but strictly speaking given the position of the TV this was illegal (they weren't wearing seatbelts) - they also liked to move around and nibble while driving, which is also illegal.

One other point - my insurance was "nominated driver" - so if you want to share driving make sure that all driver's are present at van pickup -

Also, be sure to check out the insurance rate well ahead of time (my daily insurance was actually more expensive than the rental)

@darryn, all the advice and info you given have been more than helpful.

What insurance are you referring to?
I thought that's covered in the rental already? I opted for the Liability Reduction Option which supposedly will give me zero excess.

Turbocharged

@darryn, all the advice and info you given have been more than helpful.

What insurance are you referring to?

I thought that's covered in the rental already? I opted for the Liability Reduction Option which supposedly will give me zero excess.

That'll be the one - there are different options.

I took the zero excess as well, but it was for named driver only.

For me - the insurance was quoted serparately, but was compulsory. My rental was something like $30 a day, and the insurance something like $40 per day

Sounds good.

Stopover where? And for what activities?

It is a scenic journey. My itenerary allows for impulse stops along the way, as long as we reach CHC by night. The drive alone is 6 hours, so that gives me ample time to make 3-4 stops.

That'll be the one - there are different options.Â

I took the zero excess as well, but it was for named driver only.Â

Â

For me - the insurance was quoted serparately, but was compulsory. Â My rental was something like $30 a day, and the insurance something like $40 per day

That is crazy. What did u do/rent?

Mine is $257 for the campervan rental alone!

Turbocharged

That is crazy. What did u do/rent?

Mine is $257 for the campervan rental alone!

Darryn missed out a digit i think!

Campervan is useful if you have young kids.

We woke up late a few times and drove off with kids still in bed but made sure the belts run across them - still illegal though.

Also if you die die must have rice and home food everyday, easier to cook in.

Otherwise I don't think Asians would appreciate the liberty that much. We don't have a culture of sitting outside on beach chairs at night just enjoying staring at the millions of stars above us like what most did at lake tekapo.

But if you have to, take a break from the monotony of campervan bunks by staying at a campsite with accommodation, or better still, a farm, in the middle of the trip.

Also to the OP try not to plan driving after the whale watching trip. Driving while seasick is not fun.

Most important of all, 20kmh means 20kmh or you WILL have an accident.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1