Pump partially diesel instead of petrol into my car

JX83

What happen if I accidentally pump about 9L of diesel into my tank but after that I pump about 42L of petrol to dilute it? I got distracted and luckily the pump attendant came and stop the pumping immediately if not I think my whole car will be full diesel.. Sighzzz... Hope nothing happen.. :(

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Diesel in petrol

• Don't turn on the ignition or start the car
  • This is less common because the standard diesel nozzle is bigger than the filler neck on modern petrol cars.
  • In line with car manufacturers' recommendations, any petrol contaminated with diesel should be removed from the tank and replaced with clean fuel before the ignition is turned on and the car started.

Most website gave the same ans, don't start engine clear the whole tank.

Edited by Bacteria83
  • Praise 2

Ya I saw most website will give that answer but I already start my car and move off and travel a bit.. thought should be ok since only 9 litres of diesel.. 42litres of petrol dilute in.. or should I go to the workshop and let them have a look tomorrow? Or monitor 1st..

For knowledge, diesel does not combust by spark ignition. Diesel will combust under compressed to high pressure. that's why diesel engine do not need spark plug. As such, your diesel in your tank need to be removed before your engine flooded with diesel and you've to spend more $$$ in overhaul.

TS i hope u learnt your lesson this time. not sure what have lead you to pump diesel to the tank. But i hope after this incident you will be more careful. For now, is better to have the diesel removed from the tank before it done more damage to your engine. Good luck and hope you solve your problem soon.

For knowledge, diesel does not combust by spark ignition. Diesel will combust under compressed to high pressure. that's why diesel engine do not need spark plug. As such, your diesel in your tank need to be removed before your engine flooded with diesel and you've to spend more $$$ in overhaul.

Un...un...un...un....believable!
  • Praise 1

call for tow car tml and get it flush out should be the most logical choice right now, spend a bit more for a peace of mind bah :ouch-it-hurts:

• Praise 1

Distraction.

I nearly kena also by a pesty FT pump attendent.

Now, I shoo them away.

TS i hope u learnt your lesson this time. not sure what have lead you to pump diesel to the tank. But i hope after this incident you will be more careful. For now, is better to have the diesel removed from the tank before it done more damage to your engine. Good luck and hope you solve your problem soon.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Ya I saw most website will give that answer but I already start my car and move off and travel a bit.. thought should be ok since only 9 litres of diesel.. 42litres of petrol dilute in.. or should I go to the workshop and let them have a look tomorrow? Or monitor 1st..

If I were you, I'll try to dilute with petrol as much and as often as possible.

Diesel is like 2T oil I'd put in small amount to the petrol tank.

If too much, it will quench the spark, leading to misfiring.

• Praise 1

Ya I know distraction .. :( was thinking of other things thus lead me to that.. Thanks..

If I were you, I'll try to dilute with petrol as much and as often as possible.

Diesel is like 2T oil I'd put in small amount to the petrol tank.

If too much, it will quench the spark, leading to misfiring.

Ya already pump more than 42litres plus of petrol to dilute it already.. 9 liters of diesel inside..

Petrol combust at air/fuel ratio of 10:1, meaning the air/fuel mixture is compressed to a tenth of its orginal volume before the spark ignites the mixture.

Diesel do not need spark to ignite but at compression as high as 22:1 in a fuel injector that will cause it to self ignite.

Petrol and diesel can mix well together but during combusting in a petrol engine the diesel might not ignite and just pass thru to the exhaust. Given your situation of more petrol dan diesel what you might experience might be a lack of power when you try to accelerate.

• Praise 3

Twincharged

You will kill your catalytic converter faster too. Cost $$$. Plugs can be coated with diesel and fire poorly.

• Praise 1

Petrol combust at air/fuel ratio of 10:1, meaning the air/fuel mixture is compressed to a tenth of its orginal volume before the spark ignites the mixture.

Diesel do not need spark to ignite but at compression as high as 22:1 in a fuel injector that will cause it to self ignite.

Petrol and diesel can mix well together but during combusting in a petrol engine the diesel might not ignite and just pass thru to the exhaust. Given your situation of more petrol dan diesel what you might experience might be a lack of power when you try to accelerate.

Ya jus call my friend and he advise me to pump full petrol everyday to keep dilute it as mine only 20% diesel and 80% petrol.. Thanks..

Go caltex buy the bottles of techron and add it in.

Umm.. Thanks.. Will give it a try tomorrow.. :)

Turbocharged

oddly enough, I vaguely remember reading something about a certain ratio mixture of gasoline & diesel gets you better fuel mileage... I must be crazy

• Praise 1

being told its best to flush out yet still want to believe dilution can solve it.

all the best to you before you come in to inquire how to repair damge done to petrol engine due to diesel.

• Praise 3

Twincharged

Ya jus call my friend and he advise me to pump full petrol everyday to keep dilute it as mine only 20% diesel and 80% petrol.. Thanks..

Huh? You still want take risk to keep driving?..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1