2016 Audi A4 sedan & avant

Sunny

One morning my (1yr old) B9 A4 couldn't start, brake harder to depress than usual, press start engine button, speedo says place key at marked area. Initially thought is key battery issue, tried with spare key, also same. Tried for 15 mins still can't start, thought maybe car battery problem (but it would indicate a different error).

Called up PA. They sent a technician down within 20mins even though they mentioned 1 hour. He tried many times to start, finally can. Error code found was something to do with sensor error, between key and sensor in the car that's supposed to detect key. Problem solved but he recommended me to drive in for a proper check after highlighting the error report to my SA.

***Heads up for all existing / potential owners. 

• Praise 2

I think I caught a glimpse of the new A5 liao.. can't tell it was coupe or sportback in that distance but I could recognise the rear lamps after having seen many pics of it online, shouldnt be wrong  [laugh]

It was at Parkway Parade carpark.

One morning my (1yr old) B9 A4 couldn't start, brake harder to depress than usual, press start engine button, speedo says place key at marked area. Initially thought is key battery issue, tried with spare key, also same. Tried for 15 mins still can't start, thought maybe car battery problem (but it would indicate a different error).

Called up PA. They sent a technician down within 20mins even though they mentioned 1 hour. He tried many times to start, finally can. Error code found was something to do with sensor error, between key and sensor in the car that's supposed to detect key. Problem solved but he recommended me to drive in for a proper check after highlighting the error report to my SA.

***Heads up for all existing / potential owners.

Wa jialat. If at JB how?

Neutral Newbie

Hi fellow owners...

Going to collect my audi A4 end May...noticed there are no spare tire at the showroom car! Only some sort of chemical sealant package nstead..

Have checked with SE and she says not possible to put in spare tire..however, saw in the list she passed me has this package (1G5 -Space-saving spare wheel at $402). Also saw in youtube a footage where there was a spare at the boot! Is she lying or ignorant?

Any bros any feedback on this? 

Thanks for your valuable inputs!

ps: any bros already installed spare wheel inside?

When is the Audi Driving Experience for 2017??

Last year May 2016 i paid $250 to attend. Not bad overall, tried left hand drive R8, A4, RS3 (lightning fast no joke), Q3, Q5, Q7(lightest steering among all the suv range). Nice coffee served throughout the day, but finger food snapped up so fast leaving me a hungry soul !

Hope to get some further discounts after attending the driving experience.

1st Gear

I m patiently waiting to test A5 sportback......Never seen its shadow yet....Hahaa...

I think I caught a glimpse of the new A5 liao.. can't tell it was coupe or sportback in that distance but I could recognise the rear lamps after having seen many pics of it online, shouldnt be wrong  [laugh]

It was at Parkway Parade carpark.

Wow!  Got such events,must jio then....

Last year May 2016 i paid $250 to attend. Not bad overall, tried left hand drive R8, A4, RS3 (lightning fast no joke), Q3, Q5, Q7(lightest steering among all the suv range). Nice coffee served throughout the day, but finger food snapped up so fast leaving me a hungry soul !

Hi fellow owners...

Going to collect my audi A4 end May...noticed there are no spare tire at the showroom car! Only some sort of chemical sealant package nstead..

Have checked with SE and she says not possible to put in spare tire..however, saw in the list she passed me has this package (1G5 -Space-saving spare wheel at $402). Also saw in youtube a footage where there was a spare at the boot! Is she lying or ignorant?

No Spare Tyre in the boot because the car battery is installed there, making it close to impossible to put a normal spare in it.

Hi fellow owners...

Yeah there is a space saving spare wheel for A4. Dunno why ur SE dont wanna sell you.

Anyway sealant is much lighter and quite easy to use.

Turbocharged

Yeah there is a space saving spare wheel for A4. Dunno why ur SE dont wanna sell you.

In small SG and with TPMS fitted, sometimes don't even need spare tire or sealant, can go straight to tyre shop or petrol station to fix.

In small SG and with TPMS fitted, sometimes don't even need spare tire or sealant, can go straight to tyre shop or petrol station to fix.

Year usually kanna nail which is still drivable to the nearest tyre shop.

Plus Audi got free road side assistance I think. 5yrs?

(edited)

Hi fellow owners...

If a tyre repair kit or RFT is supplied, usually that will be in lieu of a spare tyre - full size or otherwise.

In every country, the car kit and specs are different.

Not sure why you'd even suggest that your SE is lying or ignorant.

Come on....

Then again, forums are for ignorant people to learn too. Just don't accuse before finding out the facts.

Edited by Theoldjaffa
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi bros,

thanks for all your feedback, appreciated them!

Hard to make decision if there is really a choice between spare tire and repair kit. In singapore, I do agree kit is much better option. For travel to M'sia probably safer to have spare wheel.

I contacted SE a few days later after signing contract who told me through Whatsapp that NO WAY to put tire there. Then I remembered the list of options which included the spare wheel... will verify once more by calling instead to clarify.

Have a good holidays today everyone!

1st Gear
(edited)

Oh....this interesting topic brought me to learn how to repair tyre.  Maybe after watching, you wont mind having more spaces & lighter car for better fuel consumption.  Happy watching! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV9CWgKOO24

Hi bros,

thanks for all your feedback, appreciated them!

Hard to make decision if there is really a choice between spare tire and repair kit. In singapore, I do agree kit is much better option. For travel to M'sia probably safer to have spare wheel.

I contacted SE a few days later after signing contract who told me through Whatsapp that NO WAY to put tire there. Then I remembered the list of options which included the spare wheel... will verify once more by calling instead to clarify.

Have a good holidays today everyone!

Edited by GMH
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

I suppose ober here, not many install Big Brake kit like Stoptech / Brembo /alcon

After you mod liao, if front tire flat. You have to take the rear tire to put to the front. And spare tire put to the rear. Because the big brake kit cannot fit the spare tire.

Neutral Newbie

Oh....this interesting topic brought me to learn how to repair tyre.  Maybe after watching, you wont mind having more spaces & lighter car for better fuel consumption.  Happy watching! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV9CWgKOO24

Got this article from internet on pros and cons of using tire sealant. one thing i heard is the sealant sold by Audi costs a few hundred dollars, not sure if it is true. If yes, might as well get a spare tire...

Happy reading...

Here's Why You Should Think Twice Before Using Tire Sealant
It may seem like the perfect product for fixing a flat tire, but sealant has plenty of drawbacks. We weigh the pros and cons of this spare-tire alternative.
Published  August 1, 2016
Paul-Sisolak-headshot-cropped.jpg
Contributing Writer

using-tire-sealant.jpg

Different types of flat tires call for different ways to fix them, depending on the situation you're in, the severity of the damage, and the price. If you get a small puncture and not a full blowout, a can of aerosol tire sealant can come in handy — just attach the hose on the product to your tire's valve stem, empty the can's contents into the tire, and keep on driving.

Keeping sealant on hand may offer a quick fix to get your car up and running again. But using it can have drawbacks if you're concerned about tire and road safety. Many automotive brands produce their own tire sealants, so before plunking down some cash for a can, weigh the tire sealant pros and cons.

The Tire Sealant Pros

It's a fast, convenient, and affordable DIY solution.

Many tire sealants — think products like Fix-A-Flat or Slime — come in a pressurized can and are easy to apply. When you spray the product into the valve, the tire inflates and the formula coats the inside of the tire, plugging leaks or punctures. Within a few minutes, you can start driving your car so the gel spreads evenly.

Even with more major flats, a good sealant will fill up your tires enough to drive the car a short distance, like to the side of the road. That way, you can get out of the way of dangerous traffic and reduce the risk of harm to you, your passengers, or your wheels. It's a safe option if you don't have a spare tire. Sealant is readily sold in automotive and retail stores, and it's cheap and long-lasting.

Tire sealant may prevent flat tires.

Sealants are most associated with fixing tire punctures, but using them for preventing flat tires is often overlooked, according to Marc Lapointe, general manager of Seaway Hyundai in Ontario, Canada.

"Preventative tire sealants are particularly helpful if you live in a more rural area where there is a lot of gravel or rocks, or if you tend to be around job sites, where nails and screws routinely find their way onto the road and driveways," he says. "Using a preventative tire sealant is an easy and affordable way to give the tire an extra layer of protection and help prevent potential punctures that would cost you more money down the road."

SEE ALSO: Tools You Should Always Have in Your Car in Case of Emergency

Sealant may prolong the life of old tires.

Tire sealant doesn't need to be applied only in the event of a flat tire. Jim Wang of Wallet Hacks says that he uses sealant to fill in age- and wear-related cracks in the tires of his farm equipment — a lawn mower, tractor, and wheelbarrow — to keep the items running longer. "The tires themselves are relatively old, have to withstand some rough conditions and so they develop little cracks," Wang says. "A jug of sealant is less than $50, and if it can get a few more years of life out of $500 tires, it's worth it by a long shot."

The Tire Sealant Cons

Tire sealant may damage — rather than fix — your tires.

It may be simple to use, but when applied incorrectly, tire sealant may further ruin your tire. Sealant is designed to disperse and fill up puncture holes while aided by the heat of the tire. If it doesn't warm up fast enough, it can pool toward the bottom of the tire and lead to potential wheel misalignment. Tire sealant may also damage the sensors inside your tire, keeping the pressure constant and failing to alert the driver inside the car if the tire pressure was to actually become low.

It's not a permanent fix for a flat tire.

Leaky tire sealant has been known to corrode wheels, which can be costly to replace. Plus, no tire sealant is a permanent solution. In fact, you may need to buy a new tire to replace your flat because many service centers won't repair a tire treated with a chemical sealant.

You may need to buy a new tire to replace your flat because many service centers won't repair a tire treated with a chemical sealant.

Sealants may contain hazardous chemicals, and removing sealant may be time-consuming for a repair person. Using a canned sealant can increase the pressure inside the tire, too, risking a blowout or injury to the person who's repairing the tire. Sealants may also void your tire's warranty, so that replacement tire will end up costing full price.

When Should You Use Tire Sealant?

Think of tire sealant as an alternative to the spare tire. Only use it in emergency situations, and drive on a sealed tire just to take it to get repaired or replaced. According to CarsDirect, take the precautions when applying sealant that you would when changing a tire, such as ensuring that your car is safely on the curb or shoulder of the road. Depending on the size of your car, SUV, or truck, keep a larger can or multiple cans of sealant in the trunk. Exercise caution when using the applicator, can, and tire inflator, and don't over-apply. Of course, if you've been in a more serious auto collision, prioritize your safety over fixing a tire.

SEE ALSO: How to Choose the Best Motor Oil for Your Car

Is Tire Sealant a Good Buy?

We say yes, since a can of sealant from a reputable auto parts store costs only $5 or $10 and can last months, or even years, when used minimally. For minor puncture holes caught in time, less sealant can mean more and extend the life of the product, and possibly prevent you from plunking down money for a new tire. We would still recommend carrying a spare tire in your trunk, as sealant should be a temporary fix before a flat tire becomes a serious problem.

I suppose ober here, not many install Big Brake kit like Stoptech / Brembo /alcon

After you mod liao, if front tire flat. You have to take the rear tire to put to the front. And spare tire put to the rear. Because the big brake kit cannot fit the spare tire.

Very very good point

Supersonic

The $250 was worth it just for the R8 drive alone. Attended MB's one b4 and all they had was a 1.6L C180 to play wif.

Btw, the "$5000 course completion discount" is BS one lah. Enquired w the SE after the event n he say the $5000 discount is taken off their inflated list price. The normal weekend ad offer price is lower....

↡ Advertisement