Buying shoes online

Matoonia

I think the best way to describe good and average shoes is an S class with airmatic suspension and a C class respectively. Good shoes with proper care last at least 7 years for me.

Where do you do your resoling? Locally or do you send it back to the original shop? I wear my shoes a bit then slap on a topy and replace the topy until I can't do it anymore. Send the shoe back to original shop to have it recrafted. Comes back with a totally new welt, sole, heel, shoe laces etc.

The moment i received my shoes, i would send them to this cobbler @ HongLeong building basement to have a rubber sole attached to the actual shoe soles to protect the stitching on the soles. Together the cost of a pair of shoes and the new rubber soles is about $350, which average to about SGD70 a year over 5 years. This in my opinion is a pair of good shoes since a pair of ordinary non welted shoes would cost me about $100 and can only last me a year. Further i can run and walk without fear the shoes would turn crocodile and the soles would come off.

i am easily satisfied, as long as the shoes wrap my feet comfortably with good inner sole, soft leather that allows me to run with it. it doesn't matter if it only last 2 years cos i dun really take care of them, hence welting will be the last thing that will come off [sweatdrop]

i usually rotate 3 pairs for working and replace one at a time within a year.

yes rotating the shoes would prolong their lifespan. put shoetrees or stuff newspaper after wearing to absorb the moisture and keep the shoes in shape will also help. not forgetting must condition the leather to keep it nice and shiny.

cheers.

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

Doesn't your shoes smells after 5 years? i think shoe wear more than a year have to change becoz of this.

Doesn't your shoes smells after 5 years? i think shoe wear more than a year have to change becoz of this.

Nope, once you get back from work, shove the shoe tree inside to absorb moisture. Leave it outside for a day and keep it back in your shoe cabinet.

(edited)

definitely smells, matter of whether it smells nice or not. Seriously, some materials will make the shoes smell awful, some smells OK, some actually smells nice. Synthetic materials will make the worse smell.

Edited by Kangadrool

Hypersonic

Mine smell, that's why I will change shoe about a year or so. Guess my is cheapo synthetic material.

Twincharged

Google alan edmond's shoe fit guide. Its a wonderful resource. Alan edmonds is a us shoe brand. Sells good shoes as well.

I believe you meant allen edmonds. Their shoes are good. I have 2 pairs from them as well. However most of their stuff are not as sleek as the European brands. They tend to have fuller shape. Good for people with wider feet.

Twincharged

Bata rocks man haha... And their comfort range is not bad... For the price u can use a few months and toss it .... Hahaha...

But on a serious note i find it hard to get my shoe size online or at shops. Anyone got recommendations for this?

Am a size 46 only fyi..

Bata ambassadors are not bad. I have one pair for rainy weather.

I believe you meant allen edmonds. Their shoes are good. I have 2 pairs from them as well. However most of their stuff are not as sleek as the European brands. They tend to have fuller shape. Good for people with wider feet.

Thanks for the correction. [thumbsup] Wow you must have an ineresting collection. Any Gaziano & Girling in your collection?

Twincharged

Use shoes trees when storing the shoes. I use the Cedar shoe trees and they absorb all the smell and keep the shoes smelling nice. They also help to reduce the creases on the shoes. I have one pair which is around 8-9 years old already. Still looks like new.

Thanks for the correction. [thumbsup] Wow you must have an ineresting collection. Any Gaziano & Girling in your collection?

Nope. I can't afford so expensive shoes. Lol.

the allen edmonds only sold online?

Turbocharged

Actually I find the sizes of most shoes ordered from Amazon are quite consistent

Have ordered Florsheim, Rockport, Scholl, Hush Puppies, Propet and all their 10.5, width 2E and above fits well.

Only exception is skechers, their workshoe at 10.5 4E fits well, but running shoe at the same size is too long.

Havent' paid more than usd60 for a pair of shoe from amazon before for the above.

Bata ambassadors are not bad. I have one pair for rainy weather.

Yup got a nice pair of oxfords from the ambassadors range for 20 bucks during a sale.

It was an odd size which i am.